Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a good read. As Tallgeese pointed out, understanding the principles gives you the larger picture, so what you may not necessarily have exactly trained for you're ready for anyway.

I especially like the Evade, Stun, Unbalance, and Control divisions that blend one into the other.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgeese wrote:
Thanks, bushido man.

Anytime. Thanks for putting it together and sharing it with us.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming back around on this, after having some more years of experience, lends itself to coming up with some ideas.

In my experience with Krav Maga, especially in regards to weapons defenses, they have a tactical outline: Redirect, Control, Attack, Takeaway.

You start by redirecting the weapon; once you are out of the line of fire, you stay out of the line of fire. Although directed primarily to firearms defense, it holds true against edged weapons, too. Don't get back in line with the edge.

Usually established at the same time as redirecting, you take control of the weapon, therefore preventing it from coming back on-line.

Once again, usually performed at about the same time as the redirection/control aspect, this tactic is about breaking down the person with the weapon. A simultaneous counter-attack is initiated (which is more than just one strike or kick), to break the attacker down and facilitate the last part of the tactical approach;

Take away. Finish by taking the weapon away from the bad guy, and presenting it or your own, if you have one.

There are specific techniques that get taught along the way, but they aren't as important as the tactics are; first, get out of the line of fire; don't care how, and once you are out of the line of fire, stay out. The same applies for how you move into controlling and attacking, and getting the weapon away.

I think these tactics can be applied somewhat to weaponless attacks, as well. Redirect their attack while gaining control of them and counter-attacking.

gspell68
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan (JKA), Seibukan.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Coming back around on this, after having some more years of experience, lends itself to coming up with some ideas.

In my experience with Krav Maga, especially in regards to weapons defenses, they have a tactical outline: Redirect, Control, Attack, Takeaway.

You start by redirecting the weapon; once you are out of the line of fire, you stay out of the line of fire. Although directed primarily to firearms defense, it holds true against edged weapons, too. Don't get back in line with the edge.

Usually established at the same time as redirecting, you take control of the weapon, therefore preventing it from coming back on-line.

Once again, usually performed at about the same time as the redirection/control aspect, this tactic is about breaking down the person with the weapon. A simultaneous counter-attack is initiated (which is more than just one strike or kick), to break the attacker down and facilitate the last part of the tactical approach;

Take away. Finish by taking the weapon away from the bad guy, and presenting it or your own, if you have one.

There are specific techniques that get taught along the way, but they aren't as important as the tactics are; first, get out of the line of fire; don't care how, and once you are out of the line of fire, stay out. The same applies for how you move into controlling and attacking, and getting the weapon away.

I think these tactics can be applied somewhat to weaponless attacks, as well. Redirect their attack while gaining control of them and counter-attacking.
One of the guys that I trained under as a teen in the 1980’s had gotten a lot of hard knocks in the JKA in Japan in the early 1960’s.
He imparted his philosophy to me during one session both verbally and physically: everything is a target.
He’d punch your arms and hands until you could no longer physically hold them up, he’d intentionally and constantly step on your feet instead of the floor, or whatever it took until you’d finally break down and give him the target he wanted.
It was really a conservation of energy on his part as his every move landed with intent to steal from you either physically and/or emotionally/psychologically.
Probably the best strategy I ever learned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: