Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Shojiko
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Taking supplements (multivitamins etc) Reply with quote

Im an individual who sweats PERFUSLY. I noticed that my mood and mental clarity, when going about my daily routine, gets affected if I do not properly replenish my loss in vital minerals and nutrients. Ill tend to feel anxious or nervous somewhat..

I think its a health risk that is overlooked when training rigerously in any martial art or sport.

Do any of you take supplements specifically for training and what kind?

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drink a protein shake both for calories and added protein. I have ADHD, and sometimes I forget to eat. I will be hyperfixated on something or in a fugue and then suddenly 8 hours has passed. In general, I prefer to get my macro and micro-nutrients through food, and in the past meal prepping has done well for me because I can plan these macro/micro balances in advance. Multi-vitamins in the past haven't done much for me. Mostly, I just track my calories to make sure that I am eating enough to be healthy. I work out enough that I'm not trying to get in a range, just trying to get over a minimum number.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do whey protein shakes as well, with creatine added in. I don't currently do a multivitamin.

vergil96
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Karate Shotokan, Judo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take vitamin supplements, but it's rather a health issue of mine than something specifically for training. My bowel doesn't properly absorb all nutrients, so I have to supplement. Electrolytes can be helpful after much sweating. As for protein - whey protein, but not always. I love meat and dairy anyway, so there is no point.

Grapplezilla
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Wrestling, BJJ, Boxing, Kali

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also sweat profusely when training and over the years have tried many different supplements and this is what I found works for me.

1. I try to supplement secondary to eating a healthy diet. For years I supplemented daily with many different vitamins while eating a poor diet. I found that eating healthy and timing my supplements around the foods I eat, worked best for me.

2. I use Whey isolate shakes and creatine, generally with a dash of cinnamon on them and a small dash of low sodium salt. Why low sodium salt you are asking, it is because it contains potassium chloride as well as smaller amounts of sodium. so after a workout I get a slight bit of these 2 electrolytes and of course the whey and creatine. I usually will drink this with a small piece of fruit (which I eat the fruit prior to the shake) as the fruit will raise my glucose levels and help the body's cells take in more nutrients.

3. I take vitamin C, I stick with 500mg tablets as to spread the vitamin C over the day as it is water soluble. I always take this in the morning, after a workout and sometimes in the evening UNLESS I eat a meal that has foods hitgh in vitamin C as then will skip the pill (an example would be a meal that has blueberries or oranges, sometimes a large salad etc). I do this as I always prefer to get my vitamin C from natural sources.

4. Resveratrol, I have been taking this for years, perhaps it is hype and perhaps not. They say it is good for the heart and anti-aging.

5. Vitamin D, I take especially during the winter months. I take 400IU twice a day, usually in the morning and night.In the summer I usually do not supplement vitamin D as I am out and about and getting plenty of sunshine. Vitamin D is fat soluble so if you are overweight and have a lot of fat stores, you may need to take more from what I read.

6. Glucosamine, Choindtroin and MSM, I have been wrestling since a child and doing a lot of grappling and my joints, well they are creaky and destroyed. I take this for my joints, it seems to help BUT it takes a few months of regular daily ingestion to work properly (or at least I am told). I would think also for serious strikers, this should work charms.

7. I take Zinc and Magnesium at night, 30 mins prior to going to sleep. Magnesium is an electrolyte and you lose it when you sweat a lot (like guys like us) as well as it is great for sore muscles. Zinc is great for the immune system (although make sure not to take too much as can have really bad side effect, stay to the recommended daily dose). Magnesium by the way you can get in a lot of foods, I usually eat low carb so this is why I take it, if I am not eating low carb I then don't take the magnesium. Another factor of taking Zinc and Magnesium is they say it can help increase testosterone in older men.

I think that prior to taking any supplement, really check with your doctor as they know your bloodwork and can tell you what deficiencies you have as well as warn you what to take and not to take.

Hope this helps and smash the day!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: