Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ShotokanKid
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Shotokan Karate, Judo, FMA/Inosanto Kali

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S.
Don't hesitate to have them do pushups. It gets them to remember fast.

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

SloMo
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a lot of what I read here. And making it fun is extremely important as everyone here can tell you. Another important thing is to manage your own expectations. With kids you are going to get a huge difference in how they perform, attention, how fast they learn, and energy. Don't expect the kids to learn at the same rate. You almost have to set your expectations for each person individually. You'll reduce your stress level a lot if you can do that.

Keep your energy up as well. Adults for the most part cnan motivate themselves sometimes but not kids. If you have a low energy day the kids will respond to it.

Good luck!

SloMo
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing. I would hesitate to give them pushups. Punishment is my choice of last resort. Personally I feel like I didn't do something correct when I have to resort to having the kids do pushups or crunches or any other physical "motivator".

I make it a point to compliment each student twice every class. I think you will find that it will help you more in the long run to use positive motivation rather than negative.

Now, that's not to say that won't use pushups or something if I need to. But that's more of a punishment for when they do something really wrong and they know they must have messed up really bad if I make them do it.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

cjburns77
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: TKD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice SloMo.. I don't like to punish either. But I am trying not to get walked all over also.. example.. I ask for a front snap kick and most will do ok but a few will just kind of fling there leg around and not even come close to a front snap kick.. I walk up and ask these kids privetly if they would do me a favor and copy what i do, and then I would proceed to walk through the kick with them.. But I get no effort... especially when i turn around... I want to get them to want to try hard as much as they can, not only when i am looking at them.. I want them to try hard for themselves not for me...

thank you for the advice

SloMo
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another technique you can use is to bring students to the front to demonstrate something when you see them do it well. Not perfect but better. It helps motivate the kids to want to be used as an example and if you have a kid who isn't working hard, if you see them put some effort into it. Make a big deal out of it. Saying something like "Now that's what I've been looking for! Come up here and show the rest of the class" really pumps some kids up.

Also, what ages are the kids you are teaching? That's really important to know.

Sandan
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Kobujitsu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I've been teaching kids for more than 10 years now and I've noticed that competition and challenge will really get them going. Yes keep it fun up to brown belt and at brown belt introduce the 'this is serious' factor.

They keep comin back!

cjburns77
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: TKD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ages vary between 7-14.. but the youngest prove the most difficult to grab there attention....

Sandan
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Kobujitsu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the 7-10 age bracket I generally pull one out every now and again and make them do kata just to check their kata levels... this does tend to keep the concentration.

ineluki
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjburns77 wrote:
But I get no effort... especially when i turn around... I want to get them to want to try hard as much as they can, not only when i am looking at them.. I want them to try hard for themselves not for me...

Actually, I think you are expecting too much.
Some Kids just aren't really interested in it, they may be there because their friends are etc.

As long as they aren't disturbing others, just let it pass

SloMo
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 - 14 is a pretty big range. I find that you can keep a 7-8 year old's attention for no more than 1/2 hour. If possible you might want to break up the class into smaller groups based on age. Sometimes the younger kids and cause the older kids to feel left out because of all the extra attention they require.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: