Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

cjburns77
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: TKD

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Teaching Young kids Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I have a very simple question.. HOW do you manage to get children to give effort?? For those of you out there that can manage to teach children I commend you and would ask you for your advise.. I try to make it fun.. I have no children of my own so I am very new to this.. I like children but I am frustrated with myself... I am a color belt who is getting close to black belt and I realize the black belts are starting to challange me in new and adventurous ways...

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll move this to the Instructor Central Forum

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Ben Martin
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes make it fun the funner the better. you should also think of new ways to teach as if you keep repeating the same tghing they will start to get bored. i think its great if you can reward them for their effort father then what the acomplish. and i dont mean reward them by giving them some sweets or a bottle of coke. you could make a sticker chart and every time they do well they get a sticker and after they have 10 stickers you could buy them a book then 30 stickers a cheap toy like an action figure and 40 stickers a trip to the zoo somthing along those lines. this way the children will feel like they are working towards somthing. this will also help when they are older as it sets the foundation of working. you work and as a reward you get paied. praise and encouragement and the to key words here you need to constantly do both on the whole children love to be praised so the more you incourage and praise the children the more they will want to take part.

Hope that helps. if you want any more advice lemmie know.

I would love it if everyone i spoke to or met throughout my life would benefit from being with or speaking to me. - Life goal

I See The Sunshine But Their's A Storm Holding Me Back.

Krazy Carol
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin-Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enthusiasm is the key.... If you don't have it fake it.

Sometimes you challenge them. Race them get them to make each other try harder.

Get two kids in the middle of the floor one maybe not great at karate but who has a great attitude. and one who maybe has a less desirable attitude. Pair them up to cheer each other on.

Get them motivated.

We have team competitions that push ups are the prize. It's amazing how many kids ask to do the push ups even if they don't win.

If you are excited about what you are doing they will get excited about what you are doing. Enthusiasm isn't taught it's caught.

86years in the making..... Red Sox World Champs.....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Rathe
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Ninjutsu, Kenjutsu, Iaido, Wing Chun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I think a lot of instructors miss as well is how strict they act. As children you have to be very stern with them. But when they accomplish something don't be beyond smiling at them and giving them a pat on the back. When I first started teaching kids, I treated them like adults and that didn't have the best results. They seems down if I was stern and pushing them the whole time. So give them a smile, make them comfortable and let them have fun. As long as them having too much fun doesn't interrupt the training.

And Ben Martin is right as well. Do different things that make them think they aren't working out the same areas.

Master Jules
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan GoJu Ryu 5th Dan, Renshi, CQB Tactics, 5th Dan (founder), 2nd Dan w/honors USA/Urban Goju Ryu, CC Jujitsu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kids are kids......the most important thing to remember when teaching them, is that they are not "small adults".....they are KIDS.......keep everything as fun as possible......reward them with praise as much as possible......try to keep their interest with "cool" stuff......kids dont have the attention span and patience of adults......its up to you as the instructor to make them "want" to be there.

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

Ben Martin
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krazy Carol wrote:

If you are excited about what you are doing they will get excited about what you are doing. Enthusiasm isn't taught it's caught.

Spot on!

When i do my movement sessions at work (im a nursery teacher) with the 3 and 4 year olds i get right in to it with them and they love it when i have them running around the mats i run on the spot when they are jumping i jump on the spot then they skip i do the same and i pull funny crazy faces while im motivating the children and they love they get right into it and its great because i work the poor sods so hard and when i get into it they love it.

I would love it if everyone i spoke to or met throughout my life would benefit from being with or speaking to me. - Life goal

I See The Sunshine But Their's A Storm Holding Me Back.

tkdkarategirl
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have fun with them! We always attempt to have at least one instructor participating with the kids while the other is correcting stances, etc. We walk through stretches and warm ups with them, answer up with them...We try to always end class with a game so we end on a fun note and they want to come back and work hard next class so they'll have the opportunity to play a game again (Dodgeball seems to be the favorite, we play a version where you are unable to use whichever body part the ball hits, like you have to hop on one foot if your left leg is hit, or keep your right arm behind your back if it's hit...).

And for every one time you correct a child, you need to praise them twice...their egos are so fragile, so LOTS OF PRAISE!!

And I agree, they're not little adults, and we shouldn't expect them to fully grasp a concept in one class, or even one month of classes, kids are ongoing projects!

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me..." Phil. 4:13

cjburns77
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: TKD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you all for the help.. i agree to that kids are not little adults.. I am going to work on this part of my training. I am not the best teacher but i aspire to be one.. thanks again all of you

ShotokanKid
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Shotokan Karate, Judo, FMA/Inosanto Kali

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be patient. If they are challenging you, talk to your sensei on what measures he considers appropriate to discipline them.

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: