Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

cjburns77
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: TKD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do expect alot.. that is probably true. I must because if i set the bar so low that it is to easy then it will get boring... I do not scold them.. I do not ride them at all. But if others see the lack of effort then i am afraid of it becoming contagious.. I dont want to short change them by setting a low standard.. but i do want to make it fun at the same time.. But you are right "ineluki" that they are kids and some things should slide and I do let alot slide and so I should.. I am looking for effort more then perfect technique or absolute disipline..

I like the positive reinforcment ideas I have been hearing...

Sandan
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Kobujitsu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think that you need to change the focus regularly. Kids won't do lots of repitions of a technique, therefore I've had to invent games and use teaching aids such as the lagging foam off pipes. I've cut this foam into lenghts about 1.5 feet long and have put tape around one end and another about 3/4 the way up. I get them to kick between the lines, for some reason it seems more of an attraction than kicking each other-go figure!

Sabumnim
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: ITF Tae-Kwon Do (1st deg), Shotokan Karate (3rd dan)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With kids you have to be very attentive. Adults you can teach as a group without problems but kids are different. Someone said about kids egos being fragile, I can only say each kid is different. I started training at six years old, and I had a very big ego cos of my natural talent for sparring, one of my instructors told me straight, I was too cocky and I am more humble now (at least I hope so ). Each child is different, you have to find out the best way to spark intrest and enthusiasm as with anything they do. GOOD LUCK

Sandan
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Each child is different, you have to find out the best way to spark intrest and enthusiasm as with anything they do

who said this teaching was supposed to be easy...

As we say here, you have to kiss a lot of frogs![/code]

cjburns77
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: TKD

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea with the foam "Sandan". I will try games in the future. I may borrow your idea. I want to reach the kids without all the talent so that they do not get bored and quit because they don't have to live up to the standard set by the "Natural Gifted".. Kids see that it may come as easy to them and they tend to give up and I not just talking giving up TKD but giving up stretching properly or trying to make themselves better.. I know this falls on the teacher to "TEACH".

I am currently changing up my stretching routine to try and keep everyone on there toes and add something new.. This is a learning process for me too so I am taking it slow, i guess...

Thank you

Sandan
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have to say for some reason the foam works, I get them to do kumite with it i.e. one has the foam one doesn't and they have to move and avoid getting hit by the foam...

Also for the more advanced, I've made short ones and I use them as knives....again it's worth experimenting with. Let me know if you have anymore ideas as I'd love to incorporate them.

Rateh
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: WTF Taekwondo

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give each child specific attention and encouragement
I expect a lot from my students, but they know its because i beleive they can live up to the expectations.
Push them to do their best, dont let them give you anything less.
Give the children constant feedback on their techniques, correct their mistakes, but focus on only one mistake at a time.
Praise any improvements they make, but be honest. If they are doing better, but not as well as you think they can, let them know that. Praise their improvement, and ask that they do even better. Dont ever lie to them when you are praising them. This defeats the purpose.
The students will quickly learn that they are praised for effort, and they will know that you are truely proud of them. Not just feeding them praise.

On the note of pushups. Pushups are a constant in my classes. They are used as punishment, but are not considered a major one. For instance, leaning on the wall will get you 10 pushups as a beginner, 15 for the more advanced student. This isnt done negatively, but to wake the student up. They know that im not doing it because i dislike them, but because they were being lazy in class, and they know better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: