Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you broached the topic with your instructor?

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
Many thanks to those who have given their opinion and encouragement. Eligibility and recognition mean nothing unless I have explicit approval from my sensei. After all the idea of opening a dojo is first and foremost a way to continue my own training, research and progress. At least at this stage.

I suppose this will probably change later on, but for now following and perpetuating exactly what I am being taught the way I am is what counts most.

I can't wait for the update! I'm sending good thoughts your way.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I have been unable to meet my sensei or commute to the dojo because of COVID-related restrictions and my own schedule. This is a matter I would prefer to discuss with him in person, so I have to wait.

I already told him before that teaching and opening a dojo is something I would definitely like to do in response to his hopes that I pass on what he teaches me. It’s just that as much as I did, he probably doesn’t expect it to be as soon as it appears it will happen.

There are so many things to think about and plan, but I cannot go ahead without first getting his opinion and approval because at this stage it is still his karate and I don’t yet have the experience to really put my touch to it.

I will be sure to post updated whenever I get a new development on this idea. For now all I can say is that before leaving and moving away I will have the chance to have a few months of uninterrupted intensive training, possibly as soon as June or July. If all goes well I might very well start looking for a location from December or January.

tatsujin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Ryusei-ha Ryukyu Kempo Karate-jutsu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those that may not be aware, many Japanese/Okinawan based styles, dojo and/or organizations do practice a kind of hierarchy when it comes to opening a school. It generally goes from Hombu Dojo to Shibu Dojo to Fuku Shibu Dojo. And also in the mix is a Jun Shibu Dojo.

Each type of dojo generally has a specific set of requirements that have to be met. This is for using the name of the art/style/organization and what they teach. Sure, you could open your own dojo and essentially call it what you want and go from there. But, if you want to use their resources and maintain all of those contacts and resources, you would need to permission of the hombu dojo.

I have been involved in such a situation (a few times) and have no problem with it. This is a part of the process to ensure what is being taught and how. For instance, I have met sandans through hachidan that I would not want teaching a room full of empty chairs! Good people all. Excellent martial artists. But, they could not "teach their way out of a wet bag". They did not have the requisite skill set to teach nor the patience to teach. This helps prevent that.

Usually, a fuku shibu dojo "reports" up through a shibu dojo. I would think that you could be given that status....even if it is considered to be a "probationary" status. Or, even give you the jin shibu status to see how things go.

There are not many traditionalists (depending on how you define that term) left out there, so I do commend you on that and wish you good luck in your endeavors.

LionsDen
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said, as a 3rd dan you should be plenty qualified to open a dojo be teach assuming your sensei did his job right.

Two things to think about.
Are you actually looking to teach, or are you looking to have a place nearby to train?

Do you have any clue about the business side of running a dojo?

To help formulate a plan and see how familiar you are with the business side, maybe pretend we’re investors on shark tank and you’re trying to get us to give you money, and tell us about your dojo and what’s so great about it.

Reading your later posts now I see you primarily want a local place to train, if that’s your primary motivation for opening a dojo just create a home gym to train in.
If you really want to make an attempt at making teaching a career or a side hustle, then go for it.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsDen wrote:
As others have said, as a 3rd dan you should be plenty qualified to open a dojo be teach assuming your sensei did his job right.

Two things to think about.
Are you actually looking to teach, or are you looking to have a place nearby to train?

Do you have any clue about the business side of running a dojo?

To help formulate a plan and see how familiar you are with the business side, maybe pretend we’re investors on shark tank and you’re trying to get us to give you money, and tell us about your dojo and what’s so great about it.

Reading your later posts now I see you primarily want a local place to train, if that’s your primary motivation for opening a dojo just create a home gym to train in.
If you really want to make an attempt at making teaching a career or a side hustle, then go for it.

Solid post!!

Owning and operating a dojo IS a business, and students ARE customers, and on the business side, both must be treated accordingly. The business and its customers must be cared for; neither can care for themselves. Recognizing the differences make and break any business. There are business decisions and there are dojo decisions...both must be treated differently. I've seen dojos care more for dojo decisions than for business decisions, and that was that dojo's undoing.

Not all black belts can teach, and not all black belts can run a business. Wearing multiple hats is essential to the overall betterment of any business, like a MA school.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: