Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: The dojo solution Reply with quote

Life circumstances and other important matters have made it clear that training at the present dojo regularly will be impossible. As there will be no branch schools anywhere within reasonable distance, it seems starting one myself is the only solution. Teaching what I know is something I have always enjoyed and my sensei does hope I will help spread what he teaches.

The only issue is that I never thought I would be ready before another five or six years, and certainly not as just a 3rd dan. I still think I have too much to work on myself, but opening a branch dojo could make just enough profit for me to visit my teacher for training while giving my self a place to train. I’m not sure if my instructor would agree, but I’m hoping he will agree to make an exception. I don’t plan to make a living from my school, and I would be using my dojo’s income to train with him either by travelling myself or bringing him to my dojo.

Opinions and ideas are welcome from anyone. Especially school owners/operators.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think as a third dan you should be more than competent in opening a school, and I think it would be a great idea. You'll find that you learn so much while teaching, and you'll figure out your style, and also how to adjust it for reaching students that learn differently.

If you are living somewhere that will allow you to open a school and host in-person classes, I say go for it.

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Bushido_Man. I have been running my own school now for almost 3 years, all as a 3rd Dan. It is greatly rewarding and you learn as much teaching students as they do.

Good luck. Karate no Michi!

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully my reasoning and intentions will be acceptable. As mentioned before, allowing a sandan to run a branch dojo is a rare exception which requires certain special conditions. My main purpose for doing it is to have a place to practise and continue to train myself and secondly teach what I have been taught to others who are as enthusiastic about Okinawan karate as I am.

Obviously I cannot do everything the same way because my sensei is a different person, but I believe that I must remain as faithful as possible to the core and curriculum. This is especially true for me as I cannot claim to know or understand be able to do what I have yet to learn. And there so much more progress to be made personally and at third dan. Perhaps later on I may develop my own expression of my style, but for now it cannot deviate and should be exactly from the mould.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
Hopefully my reasoning and intentions will be acceptable. As mentioned before, allowing a sandan to run a branch dojo is a rare exception which requires certain special conditions. My main purpose for doing it is to have a place to practise and continue to train myself and secondly teach what I have been taught to others who are as enthusiastic about Okinawan karate as I am.

Acceptable to whom?

Just to be clear, I get what you're saying up front. You need approval from your hierarchy. What I mean here is that you shouldn't go in worrying about if you're enough. You are enough! You've put in the work, you've done the research, and the next step for you is to open a dojo so that you can become better. Go in with that attitude! As someone who has given honestly far too many presentations and proposals, your best bet is to take a breath, understand that what you want is not only reasonable but necessary to your continued growth, and act that way.

You got this.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandan's are the bare minimum to run/open their own dojo(s), imho, however, they better know how to teach. Otherwise the dojo will run them instead of the CI running the dojo.

Not one of my Sandan's need my approval to open/run a dojo as a CI. Why? That's not my place in the first place because said dojo isn't in my name as the owner; it's not my dojo.

Nothing ventured is nothing gained. Trials and tribulations, as well as the unknown are part of running any business, no matter how large or small. I believe that from what you've told us, you're more than ready to take the opportunity.

If I, as a Sandan, had not taken the necessary steps to open my own dojo back then, I would've not done it at all. I never needed anyone's approval to do anything whenever it came to my dojo whatsoever. That has made all of the differences. I've never opened a branch, but just a single dojo because I didn't want to serve my Student Body in any part-time capacity; that's not fair to my Student Body.

Business is business! Separate the dojo from the business; both deserve that. If one suffers, than the other suffers one way or another. I've made a living in running and operating my own dojo for over 40 years, and I've never looked back.

As many have stated....you got this!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Cobra wrote:
I agree with Bushido_Man. I have been running my own school now for almost 3 years, all as a 3rd Dan. It is greatly rewarding and you learn as much teaching students as they do.

Good luck. Karate no Michi!

As the saying goes, "When one teaches, two learn."

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting approval to open a dojo and teach is of the highest importance because I have immense respect for my sensei. I also hold in high esteem his skills and knowledge of karate and his evaluation of what I leaned from him so far. By opening a dojo, I would be representing not only the style, but my instructor as well.

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I would agree with the consensus here, Sandan should enough experience and also respect, I.E. he/she has made their bones and I think few would question the legitimacy of a Sandan opening their own dojo. Also agree with Sensei8 on this, it's the minimum for the public's perceived legitimacy. Good Luck!!

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to those who have given their opinion and encouragement. Eligibility and recognition mean nothing unless I have explicit approval from my sensei. After all the idea of opening a dojo is first and foremost a way to continue my own training, research and progress. At least at this stage.

I suppose this will probably change later on, but for now following and perpetuating exactly what I am being taught the way I am is what counts most.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: