Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

tubby
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a new but not top unexpected twist. the chemo drugs are known to attack nerves too, and whilst it normally happens during treatment ive had a loss of feeling that didnt start until a month after the end of chemo. can make balance whilst holding extended kicks interesting.
nothung can be done other than hope neurons regrow in 6-12 months.
as with everything theres a bright side. pushups on knuckles on the wooden floor dont hurt ar all anymore

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When life hands you a lemon, make some lemonade, right? Keep up the hard work, and I'll keep you in my prayers.

tubby
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just as I'm really getting on top of things and ready for final surgery in 2 weeks, they've delayed again as the dr, the one I confirmed booked this date for surgery, is on holidays. The stoma isn't holding me back much but I'm really looking forward to getting it done, right now I know all my physical progress will be reset then. Its even more frustrating as I;ve been in for 4 Dr's visits recently across the various disciplines, all have looked up my files and discussed the dates of surgery (blood thinners affect a lot of treatment options) and none mentioned the date had changed.

Still getting 2* a week to the gym, training the kids footie team, tkd twice a week and spent a couple of hours doing laps of the mtb park this week. about the only issues it causes is a physical lump in the way of some stretches and a little more care on core lifts - dead and squats really.

Was a bit disappointed not to be going for 2nd dan grading this weekend, not sure if it was due to the 6 weeks I missed after surgery last year. On the plus side my youngest turns 5 today, and he's holding me and my masters statement that he was too young at 4 to start so he'll be kitting up next week with me. He came with me on Thursday to watch the coloured belts grade and is more excited to start.

tubby
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

recovering well from surgery yesterday to put my inside bits back inside. lrss than 24 hours out and they're removing morphine and im walking ok.

a refelction on my training for 9 months with a stoma. not many people can say they got their butt kicked and the crap kicked out of them and mean both things literally.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tubby wrote:
recovering well from surgery yesterday to put my inside bits back inside. lrss than 24 hours out and they're removing morphine and im walking ok.

a refelction on my training for 9 months with a stoma. not many people can say they got their butt kicked and the crap kicked out of them and mean both things literally.

I'm glad everything went well. And it's great to see your positive outlook and sense of humor about it all.

When do you think you'll get back on the floor?

tubby
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

id be guessing 4-6 weeks. the wound has been lrft open to heal from the inside.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So happy to hear the recovery is going well, tubby!

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick wrote:
So happy to hear the recovery is going well, tubby!

Patrick

Yes, this is great news, tubby!!

tubby
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made my return to class last night. and as a bonus, my 5 year old who has been impatient to start is now training with us too. A bit stiff, a bit out of shape and being a bit careful as the wound is still a little divot and obviously not that strong, but felt great to be back there. Whilst the stoma and pouch weren't a big deal, not having that physical lump there makes kicking and stretching much nicer. And the hernia belt I had to wear -was always catching on my pants and belt.

Recovery took a twist after a week, I thought it was massive wind pains which is not unusual after bowl surgery, Pretty much a crippling cramp for 30 seconds every 2-3 minutes. It was exhausting as I couldn't sleep and my whole core ached from that regular tensing. Then one day I spent the whole day on the toilet. Seems a twist in the bowels came just good and pain never came back.

Rode my bike into hospital yesterday for final follow up on the blood clot with the haematologist. I never went back on the thinners after surgery anyway due to the open wound, all is well and I am now finished any active treatment. Time to get my middle age behind back in shape for a couple of mtb marathon races coming up and that grading in November. Getting shape for final round of state TKD events in October would probably be pushing things, be as daft as entering sparring during radiation/chemo was.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its great to hear your back to class! Listen to your body as you train, and remember, it isn't a race, so take your time and let it all come back to you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6
Jump to: