Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: This Isn't Cool, At All!! Reply with quote

November 13, 2017...

Cardiologist Dr. Darwin Childs...

Atrial fibrillation [AFIB]

Per my Cardiologist, there will be no...

**Cardiac Inversion procedures performed of any type. Why do a procedure over and over when it's more than likely that Afib will return over and over.

**Ablation procedures performed of any type. Even though there's an 80% change that Afib will never return, the percentages don't favor this.

My heart rate is 86hpbm, which for my age, 60 years old, with Afib, and my medical history is good. Nothing leaps out to my Cardiologist from my wearing the Holter Monitor for 24 hours.

Prognosis:

I will live with Afib for the rest of my life, however long that might be, through medications, like Eliquis and Metoprolol, and whatever else, and through the management of my Afib by my Cardiologist.

My next visit is in May 2018!!

Right now, I'm not Asymptomatic...I think...can't remember which type of asymptomatic is the good one!!

So, for now, I live with my Afib until I die!!

One thing that my Cardiologist highly recommends is that I lessen my stress to nil, if at all possible. He suggests that I walk away from being the Kaicho of the SKKA asap!! Reason...stress level!!

In the position of Kaicho, it's a very high stress job, and it can be so. Running the SKKA is a full-time endeavor, one that I completely enjoy. Why?? My mission is the Student Body, above all things!!

So, I'm seriously concerning to adhere with my Cardiologists advice to lessen my stress levels.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that Bob. That's a raw deal for sure.

I hope you find a way to work it out so that you can continue that which you love and adhere to your doctors orders.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do too, MatsuShinshii, I do too!!

Against my Cardiologist advice of limiting my air travels, I mean after all, flying stresses me out all by itself...I don't like plane crashes at all, or the mere thought about it, I'll be traveling to our Hombu the Wednesday after Thanksgiving in order to discuss a many, many things, and of course, I'll bring up my visit with my Cardiologist in order to get their spin on it, and see where it leads us.

This visit to the Hombu is a scheduled one; Q4, with my health issue tagged in an amendment to everything else.

Going to also work on learning to teach!! Teaching in moderation will be a new and alien thing to me, but necessary for my life. There are many members here that I would love to visit, and hopefully share the wonders of Shindokan with them. But, I first have to learn moderation!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the important thing is to learn to keep doing what you love here, but reducing the stress in doing so. How to do that, I don't know for sure. Perhaps a different approach, a different outlook? But at any rate, I know you will find the answer!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you're having a rough time at the minute Bob.

I hope things work out for you. Maybe some compromise can be found with the SKKA. Most important is your health so look after yourself.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
Sounds like you're having a rough time at the minute Bob.

I hope things work out for you. Maybe some compromise can be found with the SKKA. Most important is your health so look after yourself.
Agreed.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear this news, Bob. I’m sure you’ll find a way to keep training and teaching while staying safe and healthy. Like everything else in karate, one must adapt accordingly to whatever they’re facing.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are in the same boat sensei8 with age and heart issues.

Just keep rowing and growing in your martial art journey, there are still too many things to learn and understand.

I hope you start listening to Alan Watts, he has some very interesting insights about looking at situation and things differently.

I gave up driving four years ago, this elevated alot of stress for me. Giving up some things also gains in other areas.

Modern living is stressful, therefore be a little old fashioned and let the world turn by itself, without pushing it from time to time.

If in a position of power, then delegate some people who you can trust, to free up some time for yourself.

Moderation is meeting all things half way through your own best terms and personal choices, not just in their way without equal mutual benefits.

Remember, the cheese keeps moving, so keep loving, living and learning, wherever possible.

What you have isn't cool but you are sensei8.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, everyone for your advice and support; neither will be taken lightly at all.

I'll strive, this is just built in me, to continue to improve my quality of life across the board for my concerns.

I do realize that my health situation ISN'T much more important than others, especially those who suffer from things that are much more terminal. If I seem to sound like my health issues are greater than someone else, please bring that to my attention.

The thing that I'm the most vexed over is the much more awareness that I might have to entertain the possibility that my days on the floor might be much more diminished than what I'm so accustomed to.

I've been told that I've a spark on the floor that's heightened due to my continued engagements with each and every student, and not a selected few. With the kids, I'm that one big kid!! And with adults, I'm that one big kid, but with much more resolve.

I love to teach!! I love my students, internal and external!! The Student Body is what I live for; to improve their MA betterment!! To move their cheese constantly; challenging then to heights that they never thought existed.

Yet, nowadays, I must learn to utilize instructors, both internal as well as external, in order to teach...to get my points understood...without me overly exerting myself more than necessary.

Excuse me with what I'm about to post...I don't want any student, external and/or internal to express disappointment and/or disgust for the new role that I must take on the floor...the dependence of external as well as internal instructors.

In teaching, one truly doesn't always do so much that they find themselves fighting for breath, but with Afib, that's exactly what I'll be experiencing whenever I exert myself more than necessary. With me, and the manner of how Shindokan tenets are taught...to learn Shindokan, one must experience it, and not in a passing notion...Resistant Training to name one!!

It's not attractive to see and experience that I'm no longer that whippersnapper, but it is what it is; being totally honest about myself.

AMA=Against Medical Advice...that I will not ever do because my wife and our kids are much more important than the MA, than my Student Body, and/or any assumed notion of expectations of any degree.

Last edited by sensei8 on Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you sensei8.

For your supportive honest opinions here on KF.

I for one of many, appreciate you efforts that have inspired me and others by you genuine interest in promoting martial arts in an open and respectful manner.

The martial art organization that you belong to, must appreciate your commitment to providing quality and integrity in your efforts for them on many levels.

I think many would agree with me to say, keep being you sensei8, no matter what life throws at you, as martial artists, when the going gets tough, the tough get rougher and more tougher.

If all our battles were easy, then we will never be able to overcome anything or anyone, that is seriously worth fighting for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: