Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

15love
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is a "McDojo?" Is it a chain of dojos under the same owner that produces inferior product? How does a newbie recognize one?

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15love wrote:
What is a "McDojo?" Is it a chain of dojos under the same owner that produces inferior product? How does a newbie recognize one?
Not necessarily. An instructor with several school branches might be a very good instructor, who produces good black belts, and therefore has a good product to put out.

But there are some warning signs. Watch some classes, and see how good the black belts look. See if you can tell who looks like a beginner, intermediate, and advanced. Then, get into the pricing and how they run testings and such. See if they have some "packages" that tend to do nothing more than make them extra money. If the higher ranked students tend to look a lot like the lower ranked students, then there might be some issues there. Look into things like that. Hopefully, that helps.

15love
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
15love wrote:
Not necessarily. An instructor with several school branches might be a very good instructor, who produces good black belts, and therefore has a good product to put out.

But there are some warning signs. Watch some classes, and see how good the black belts look. See if you can tell who looks like a beginner, intermediate, and advanced. Then, get into the pricing and how they run testings and such. See if they have some "packages" that tend to do nothing more than make them extra money. If the higher ranked students tend to look a lot like the lower ranked students, then there might be some issues there. Look into things like that. Hopefully, that helps.

Thanks. I've only attended one adult class, but I was extremely impressed with all that attended. The lowest belt, in the class, was a 4th Kyu & she was good. My kumite partner was a BB and obviously outclassed me by a mile, so it was a good sign that there is a ton I could learn from my current dojo. And then there's the owner, who was beyond great, IMO. It only took me a few minutes observing his teaching techniques & examples to realize I would love to be 1/2 as good as him someday.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great. It sounds like you've got something good going for you there. Keep us posted on your progression.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: