Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shito-ryu, Goju-ryu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Way of a Swede (from 8 kyu to...) Reply with quote

Having just found my way back to Karate after a 2 year break due to having a 3rd child, I thought I'd keep a blog thread here where I can write down thoughts and insights, and get input on training habits, interpretations of key concepts etc

Starting with the "Here and now": 8th kyu Shukokai Shito-ryu. Trying to apply the same motto to Karate as to my drawing practice: "Not a day without a line". Translated to my Karate practice it becomes: Not a day without a technique. Often this just means a couple of blocks or similar - just to find continuity and keep in touch with my artistic ambition.

So happy that I this semester return to the dojo - along with my two sons, finally eager to start training.

Ordered my first karate reference book the other day, "The essential book of karate" (Graeme). Can't wait to get it in the mail. Will use it to read about techniques, take notes etc.

Also have made some YT playlists about Budo (reminding me to not let go of the experience I have in Aikido. 3rd Kyu Aikikai is the highest grade I've reached in a Budo art so far), Karate and Kihon/Katas I am supposed to - or soon will be supposed to - know.

Happy to once more continue along the way of Budo, already seeing positive effects in how I handle conflicts at work etc

Looking forward to sharing my journey with you and to hear your thoughts about how I take each new step along the way

Not a day without a kata

Last edited by Wayofaswede on Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:02 am; edited 5 times in total

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, look forward to read your thoughts while your MA journey slowly, however certain, rolls always forward. Your MA journey is yours alone, and no one can take it away from you. Sure, those will try to rob you of your joy anyway that they can!!

As the old idiom says..."7 times down, 8 times up", and that right there is the exclamation point of anyone's MA journey, and what one does is everything. All proof, without any ambiguity and/or reservation, is on the floor...you...your training...your MA journey...everything...is out there for all to see. MA character is a fragile thing to harness and protect, albeit, the easiest to do so because one does what's right!!

Train hard...train well!!

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your wise reply. Unfortunately I missed yesterday's training due to illness. But - feeling much better today - the past is history and I instead look forward to my next trip to the Dojo.

I am not able to train as often as I would like to, so I believe my solo training is very important to really anchor and incorporate what I learn in the Dojo in my karate practice.

I sometimes wonder how much of the Aikido "circular" motions I should let go of in favor of the more linear movement of the karate ryu I learn.

My instinct has for such a long time been to: 1. step aside 2. apply technique that it's hard to not step aside and instead just block. Maybe I will find a balance between moving/blocking without moving eventually.

I always find it interesting when footwork and stances are corrected since they belong to another art/style. Makes me more aware of what I am actually doing and where the "transition points" between different arts/schools occur.

Fascinating variations in the beautiful palette of Budo. No "wrong", no "right" - and always with the potential to teach and enrich.

Not a day without a kata

Last edited by Wayofaswede on Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Mawashi Geri, especially on the left side is not as high and relaxed as I would like it to be, the leg feels really stiff and almost hurts. I have had some problems with the hip on that side, possibly from being a coverband drummer enjoying double bass drumming for 20 years.

Not a day without a kata

Last edited by Wayofaswede on Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:21 am; edited 1 time in total

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stretch more often, and not when only at the dojo. Also, stretch the left side much more, however, ease into that carefully in order to avoid any unexpected injuries. Albeit, look into some sport doctors to see if they can help.

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much, I will keep that in mind. Meanwhile I try to adapt my techniques and practice to my physical limitations. Turning 40 soon, so I guess I'd better get used to the body holding some techniques back. Especially now that I haven't been training for quite some time.

Not a day without a kata

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two katas I currently know well enough to practice on my own out of the dojo as well:
Ji no kata ichi and
Ji no kata ni

Happy that we yesterday went through some katas I have actually performed during gradation.

Also particularly enjoyed some techniques that went from inside (block) to outside (arm around neck) as practical applications of parts of a kata - believe it was Pinan Sandan.

Also did a really nice backward kick exercise, switching from side to side

And of course the quick "punch-punch-punch-low kick" one that sensei encouraged us to perform faster and faster...

It was wonderful that both my sons and I were well again and could go training together yesterday.

"The essential karate book" may be delivered today. Really looking forward to seeing pictures+names of all different techniques. Thinking about filming myself now and then as a way to see how my techniques can and will improve and change over time the more I practice.

Not a day without a kata

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the book yesterday!

So my karate-specific library now consists of:
"The essential karate book" (Graeme)

Have (and have read) Budo classics like "Go rin no sho", "Zen in the martial arts" (Hyams), "Way of peace" (Ueshiba) and more Aikido-specific books like "The essence of Aikido" (Ueshiba's son) and "Aikido - the peaceful martial art" (Stenudd). But that was a couple of years ago, good to get back into reading about the arts again.

Not a day without a kata

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a very proud father I could watch my two sons eagerly put on their first gi:s yesterday.

Had a great training session in the dojo, primarily focusing on yellow belt level katas and kihon. Really need to pracice more basics - and remember that I have 8th kyu in Karate, not 3rd (as I had in Aikido when training that art).

Talked to sensei after about how valuable it was to return to basics and which katas I need to know when testing for 7th kyu. He in return offered me a DVD he has recorded with all the katas from yellow to black belt. Will definitely make a great reference when doing solo or home training.

Not a day without a kata

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did my first free-form kumite during yesterday's training. A rather unpleasant experience due to a number of factors:

- I did kumite with a higher graded (7th kyu vs my 8th kyu), apparently used to sparring
- She attacked both often and hard (accidentally hit my face once)
- Since I broke my toe for the second time less than a year ago, I felt very reluctant about attacking with my "better", right foot in free-form
- when I managed to block her kick, it really hurt a lot
- I eventually felt afraid of getting hit and didn't want to attack for fear of accidentally being hit again
- I got really tired after half the time

It was an interesting, intense experience - but I feel that right now I am much more interested in the kata/correct technique aspect of karate than in actually sparring.

Maybe that will change along the way, but this was my first - rather scary - experience of free-form kumite (albeit supposed to be "soft contact")...

Not a day without a kata
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 1 of 25
Jump to: