Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

xo-karate
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are responsible for our own learning, but how much can we help others?
I joined an aikido class last winter and it was not aloud help others. Idea is that all instructions should come from senior belts.

I do understand that wrong instructions in the beginning is bad for future learning.
I also know that collective learning and figuring out things is very much more helpful than copying movements with out any understanding.

I quited the class, because I could not shut up - and it was highly discouraged. Not my style of learning environment. I think we need to help others - not accepted anything others say with out testing and testing... I need to know how it works, before I'll use it in my "game".

lowereastside
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: kung fu

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: What are our jobs as martial artist? Reply with quote

About 80% of my friends have done some form of Combative Training - some stayed with it others let it go. I'm trying to teach my Daughter - so far no Dice. My Nephew @ 23 finally asked me to teach him - he just became a Police Officer ( NYPD ). What is my job as a Martial Artist? To teach my students to the best of my ability. No holding back - when they are ready - I Take them to the next level. . The bad apples don't hang around long enough anyway. I try to keep the training real - The touching of hands is more Combative ( Example - about a month ago a 5th degree black belt came to watch my class - is a friend of one of my students - after class he said " You guys are not sparring your fighting". He came for his first class this Saturday. Like a good friend of mine use to say " things can get pretty nasty in the streets real fast ".

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xo-karate wrote:
I joined an aikido class last winter and it was not aloud help others. Idea is that all instructions should come from senior belts.

I do understand that wrong instructions in the beginning is bad for future learning.
I also know that collective learning and figuring out things is very much more helpful than copying movements with out any understanding.

I quited the class, because I could not shut up - and it was highly discouraged. Not my style of learning environment. I think we need to help others - not accepted anything others say with out testing and testing... I need to know how it works, before I'll use it in my "game".

You have to decide when you go into a new setting if you are going there to learn or going there to teach others. If you weren't invited, then its likely the instructor there doesn't want you to teach his students, and that's understandable. I can understand having input to offer, but when an instructor is teaching a certain concept and using a certain methodology with his/her students, and you try to countermand it, that causes problems.

What you were trying to do would be better suited to extra practices with the instructor, where the two of you could work different things and exchange ideas, trying his concepts vs your concepts. Let it be up to the instructor whether he wants to try some of those things with his classes or not.

I've trained with the Aikido club here in my hometown, and I admit that there are a lot of concepts and ideas tied with Aikido that I don't always agree with. But, I just keep that stuff to myself, learn what they teach there, and grow from it.

xo-karate
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
xo-karate wrote:

You have to decide when you go into a new setting if you are going there to learn or going there to teach others. If you weren't invited, then its likely the instructor there doesn't want you to teach his students, and that's understandable. I can understand having input to offer, but when an instructor is teaching a certain concept and using a certain methodology with his/her students, and you try to countermand it, that causes problems.

What you were trying to do would be better suited to extra practices with the instructor, where the two of you could work different things and exchange ideas, trying his concepts vs your concepts. Let it be up to the instructor whether he wants to try some of those things with his classes or not.

I've trained with the Aikido club here in my hometown, and I admit that there are a lot of concepts and ideas tied with Aikido that I don't always agree with. But, I just keep that stuff to myself, learn what they teach there, and grow from it.

I was not teaching - just helping my partner to remember the same techniques we had done earlier. Just like which leg is in front or which to step and basic things like that. Nothing that had not been done all ready in the class.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I apologize. I misunderstood what you were getting at. To me, that doesn't make much sense, but, to each instructor their own, I guess.

Zimlock
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate, Aikikai Aikido

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A martial artist has no obligations upon them; therefore you are not obligated to tell anyone anything. Your personal journey is yours and only yours. They are about self discovery and self betterment and not conversion.

Archimoto
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: JKD / Muay Thai / TKD

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with many of the posts.
Given the state of things, at least in the US, our biggest threat or predator is an increasingly sedentary lifestyle. In this regard, if anything I tend to encourage exercise. However self defense is very subjective so I tend to share if asked but never recruit.

Karate4Life
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Hands and Feet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OSU!

I believe that my job is to pay it forward. I have had the chance to meet and to learn from some awesome individuals. There will never be the chance to pay it back, there's just no money or currency to do so, so I pay it forward and teach whoever wants to be taught. I'll never have the chance to open my own dojo simply due to many private obligations, but sometimes people join me during my practice, and I freely share what little I know. Some have already stuck with me for a year, and I do hope that this will continue. When doing so, it is my job not only to teach something, but to push and to give an edge to training so that people can get cut. Not deeply cut of course, but in a way that they remain attentive and use all their energy to get things right. I have found that if I do so with a smile and motivate rather than punish, this brings the best out of whoever I am training with.

OSU!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archimoto wrote:
I agree with many of the posts.
Given the state of things, at least in the US, our biggest threat or predator is an increasingly sedentary lifestyle. In this regard, if anything I tend to encourage exercise. However self defense is very subjective so I tend to share if asked but never recruit.

Solid post!!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karate4Life wrote:
OSU!

I believe that my job is to pay it forward. I have had the chance to meet and to learn from some awesome individuals. There will never be the chance to pay it back, there's just no money or currency to do so, so I pay it forward and teach whoever wants to be taught. I'll never have the chance to open my own dojo simply due to many private obligations, but sometimes people join me during my practice, and I freely share what little I know. Some have already stuck with me for a year, and I do hope that this will continue. When doing so, it is my job not only to teach something, but to push and to give an edge to training so that people can get cut. Not deeply cut of course, but in a way that they remain attentive and use all their energy to get things right. I have found that if I do so with a smile and motivate rather than punish, this brings the best out of whoever I am training with.

OSU!

Solid post!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: