Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMAOROFL!!!!

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah kids with black belts is what gives karate a bad name. I know several people in my area from another school who claim to be black belts but have not trained over a year.

Like I said I will never test a kid for black belt under the age of 16. I baiscally do one year testing periods with my kids. Because I think that is about the same as 3-4 months for adults.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Ti-Kwon-Leap
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! they have a nifty little "check your biorhythm" link on the main page. That must be a big help for timing your "AWESOMEPOWERBREAK(tm).

Lau gar
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know an 11 year old brown belt karate he quit though

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G95, how did you choose the age 16? Just curious.

My instructor's age for black belt is 16, too - but he gives Junior BB's to younger kids, meaning that they have the best technique that a kid can have, but still aren't physically and mentally ready to wear the black.

My instructor, however, never says "never" as far as testing kids for black belt. Although he very strictly upholds the 16 age, a guy who is 14 just recieved his black belt after years of hard training and wearing a junior black. The kid can "hang" with the adult BB's, so IMHO he deserves one. He is the only kid under 16 to ever get a real black belt in my school. I'll most likely be 15 when I test. My instructor believes there is a chance I may be the youngest ever female BB at our school. Who knows.

tessone
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your school, what happens after a junior black belt reaches 16? Do they receive an adult black belt then?

That's what happens in our schools. Junior black belts become regular black belts when the master feels they're ready to join the adult class.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://ksdi.net/steve.gif

http://ksdi.net/thacker.gif

Nice kicks.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y'know ... I have to say it depends. I am the mother of a daughter who got her black belt at at 12, however while all her little girlfriends were doing tap dance and pointe ... at age 5 she was training in TKD.... thats 7 years of 3 days a week training.
I was truly proud of her accomplishments and she deserved the attainment.... it is when they are handed out (such as that link described) ...
Something could also be said of the 60 year old man or woman who in their middle age decides to train .... should they be as "proficient" at the style as their 21 yr old counterparts???
oh ... btw, no jr. bb standing at our school although I do believe there should be. What makes you an adult? Age 18 or 21 .... or at your Master's discretion? I believe the latter.

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-05-04 15:01 ]

Slider VI
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally do not accept students that are younger than 7 years old. When the child is as least 7, he will have a basic understanding of what it is that he/she is being taught. Otherwise, you beacome an overpriced babysitter

Hasta!!
Slider
3rd degree black belt
Kenpo Karate

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-05-04 13:45, tessone wrote:
In your school, what happens after a junior black belt reaches 16? Do they receive an adult black belt then?

That's what happens in our schools. Junior black belts become regular black belts when the master feels they're ready to join the adult class.

A junior black belt only gets his or her black belt when they really deserve it - many kids still aren't at their full phsycial and mental maturity at age 16 anyway. Some get it at 16, but my friend just turned 18 and she made the switch after 4 years at junior black belt. The number 16 is just a guide number.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: