Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: WHAT? No Samurai Swords Allowed!?! Reply with quote

In the latest issue of Black Belt Magazine, January 2010, there's a short article on page 18 entitled "Ireland Bans Samuari Swords."

Here are some points from that article...

*This new law is based on the ever increasing knife crimes.
*It's illegal to sale, importation, purchase, and/or possession of a samurai sword.
*Those caught manufacturing, importing, selling or renting the weapon COULD face up to seven years in prison.
*Handcrafted swords made before 1954 are exempt from the ban.
*Possession of a knife in a public place was increased from one to five years in prison.
*Police have been given more power to carry out seaches for caches of illegal blades of all sizes.

I'm still wondering ---Why are handcrafted swords made before 1954 exempt from the ban? I'd still think that a sword is a sword and if the blade can be sharpened or is already sharp...a sword from 1954 and before can still do alot of damage. It surely isn't like a car in the USA that was made before 1968 is exempt from the seatbelt law! Or is it?

Let me just say this one quick thing. A samurai sword is one pretty big knife!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that this is a common example of over reaction, not unlike gun laws. Yeah, it doesn't make a lot of sense, but the lawmakers feel good because they think that they are accomplishing something.

tonydee
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: 24 yrs kong soo do, 3 yrs hapkido, bits of others

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a samurai sword from before 1954 is presumably hand made and worth a fortune... only the well-off would own one, or those who took one from a Japanese officer during the war, and war vets and the wealthy aren't proper targets for law makers....

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bit about before 1954 is probably so they don't have to go round and confiscate a load of weapons people keep for the antique value. I would guess that the main problems are from replicas that people buy and intend to use as a weapon.

sensei8 wrote:
It surely isn't like a car in the USA that was made before 1968 is exempt from the seatbelt law! Or is it?

Actually over here our laws state that you only have to wear seatbelts if they are available. But all new cars built since whatever year the law was made must have seatbelts fitted. So technically if they car is older than whatever year it was, its exempt from the seatbelt law.

England and Wales has had a similar ban since mid-2008. I don't think its really over-reaction that much. Our laws over here don't really allow you to carry anything. There are loads of things you can't own in England under the Offensive Weapons Order.

RichardZ
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goes to show, it isnt the weapon but those who abuse it and those who desire to control ownership.

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: WHAT? No Samurai Swords Allowed!?! Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
In the latest issue of Black Belt Magazine, January 2010, there's a short article on page 18 entitled "Ireland Bans Samuari Swords." . . .

Let me just say this one quick thing. A samurai sword is one pretty big knife!

Thanks for pointing this one out, Bob. I missed it in the issue, finding it on p. 18. According to the article:

[T]he Irish Minister for Justice has instituted measures he hopes will reduce knife crime.

I wonder if there were incidents that prompted this. (Gangs?) I mean it's not exactly something you fold up and slip into your back pocket.

I noticed that DWx observed, "There are loads of things you can't own in England under the Offensive Weapons Order." The article did say it's similar to an English measure. A similar problem?

ShoriKid
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Matsubyashi-Ryu, Okinawan Kempo, wrestling, bits of BJJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Police have been given more power to carry out seaches for caches of illegal blades of all sizes.

Last line listed was the most bothersome to me. So, becaue the government has decided to deamonize an object, blaming it for crime(which is saddly typical), they now have expanded the search powers of the police? This isn't just not carrying something in public, this is allowing the police more lee way in coming into your home to look for things. Even if they never left your house.

Quote:
Our laws over here don't really allow you to carry anything

Its possesion too, not just carry, if I'm reading this right. What would be wrong with an iado practitioner carrying a live blade to practice in a locked case, or having them stored at a dojo?

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShoriKid wrote:

What would be wrong with an iado practitioner carrying a live blade to practice in a locked case, or having them stored at a dojo?

I don't know how the law reads, because I'm wondering if it applies to unsharpened blades, including blades that can't be sharpened due to the material they're made of.

I have a Claymore that's unsharpened, but whacking someone with that hunk of metal would break bones. Then again, so would a baseball bat, even though it doesn't replicate an ancient weapon.

If unsharpened or "unsharpenable" swords are permitted under this law, then an iaido practitioner would be able to practice with an ornamental sword only. And that presumes the ornamental swords, which are metal, are legal.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShoriKid wrote:
Quote:
Police have been given more power to carry out seaches for caches of illegal blades of all sizes.

Last line listed was the most bothersome to me. So, becaue the government has decided to deamonize an object, blaming it for crime(which is saddly typical), they now have expanded the search powers of the police? This isn't just not carrying something in public, this is allowing the police more lee way in coming into your home to look for things. Even if they never left your house.

They wouldn't be allowed to just search your house. They'd have to have reasonable proof that you might have it and intend to use it to commit crime. If its a crime to possess it you shouldn't have it in your house anyway if you don't want the possibility of being found out then prosecuted for it. If you want to own one then you have to have that risk there

ShoriKid wrote:
Quote:
Our laws over here don't really allow you to carry anything

Its possesion too, not just carry, if I'm reading this right. What would be wrong with an iado practitioner carrying a live blade to practice in a locked case, or having them stored at a dojo?

I should probably have said possess instead of carry. If its similar to UK laws then you'd probably be allowed to have it in a locked bag and carry to and from training. Without knowing about the legislation in full I would guess that there are measures in place to cater for people who might have a legitimate reason for owning one, antique collectors, maists, historical re-enactment guys etc.

RichardZ
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very interesting. Because as those maybe lobbying against guns, and strict laws thereof, in other places, the same is done upon other weapons. I think lawmakers just cant get it, it isnt the weapon that commits the crime. Criminals are going to commit a crime with whatever is available. AND, they would be the ones who have illegal weapons in the first place. This is why they are called 'criminals". They are not concerned with laws.

Last edited by RichardZ on Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: