Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Black Dragon
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I'm arrogant in your opinion.
Let me tell you something about yourself. You also make contradicting arguments. If the belt doesn't mean anything then why is it so important for me to take it off?

Sasori_Te
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kempo and Kobudo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not asking you to take off your belt. I just personally believe that "true" karateka should not have a problem with it. That's my opinion and mine alone. We all have the right to our opinions don't we? That's why we're here. To discuss our differences and give our opinions. My opinion isn't any more or less important than yours. If you dislike my opinion then don't respond to it. Ignore it.

Sasori_Te
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know how to delete a double post?

renketsu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sasori_Te and solo - I agree with you 100%

If you train in a different art or style (even a different club), you should offer to wear whatever colour belt the instructor requests of you.

Be careful to remember you are new to this style and have no experience of their techniques and ideas... no matter what grade / belt you are in one style/art - it means absolutely nothing in another style/art.

Always remember you are a blackbelt - I dont think I've ever heard of anyone having this taken off them but dont expect everyone to appreciate you demanding to wear it at their classes.

I trained at a Wado Ryu club (a style which is derived from Shotokan and therefore not overly different) and asked the instructor what belt he prefered me to wear out of respect for him and his club after I told him my grade - I didn't care what colour he choose - it's his class not mine and I know I am still a nidan in Shotokan regardless of what colour belt I wear for training.

Just my tuppence worth
Andy.

Last edited by renketsu on Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Black Dragon
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting points you make valid arguments, but I still dont agree

Sauzin
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Okinawan Kenpo, Goju-Ryu, Kobudo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Dragon, I believe I understand what you are saying. You've worked hard for your belt and you feel it would be disrespectful to the work you have done to take it off. You also feel that people do judge people based of off belt color and you wish to be judged for the rank you really are.

I would not argue that a belt means nothing. I would say it should mean nothing, but in reality it has many meanings. To you it is a symbol of your hard work. To a sensei in another art it may be a symbol of what you think you already know, and are therefore unwilling to relearn from him. Your refusal would show most teaches that you have an unusual need for recognition and are afraid of how other people may judge you (see second reason of previous paragraph).

Were I you I would look at prioritizing what you want to say to a potential instructor. Is it more important to say with your belt, "I worked hard and I know a lot about my style" or is it more important to say, "I value what you have to teach enough to learn it from the beginning and in your class you can rank me as you see fit." Personally I would expect my actions to naturally portray the first and I would put the second as a priority to convey. To me, showing respect to others is more important then demanding respect of myself. Demanding respect is a wasted effort. I find that respect naturally comes to those who earn it. Each sensei is a new opportunity to do this.

-Paul

Sasori_Te
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well said Sauzin. Always good to get a fresh approach.

kataman
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: karate shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:48 pm    Post subject: White belt Reply with quote

I started karate in 1984 and i got my green belt in 1985 today i'am still green belt but i am 35 years old insted of 16. after a bit of judo and aikido i am a better fighter today and i have more control ,but someday i will be black belt.

delta1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: It's ALL Kenpo! Bring it back to base!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sasori_Te wrote:
(just read it again, he's right on the money!)

*mArTiAl_GiRl* wrote:
I can wear a pink belt if I want...

I know of one school that has a pink belt hanging on the wall. If you get a big head about your rank, or hold your rank over others inapropriately, or just get too focused on the next belt instead of the knowlege, you get to wear the pink until the instructor thinks you've learned some humility. And it doesn't matter what rank you are, you can be pinked!

Kamidake
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And don't forget, the colored-belt system only goes back to the 19th century. So don't get too wrapped up in it (sorry, unintentional pun); it's not as if you're violating centuries of samurai tradition if you change colors! Actually, you're violating centuries of samurai tradition if you get involved in the belt system at all. The reason Kano Jigoro started the belt system was he wanted to put his snobbish ex-samurai students on an equal footing with the common ruck; he wanted everybody to start out on a level field and for only merit to count, rather than one's bloodlines. This was a laudable goal, but conditions in the 21st century are different. So I suggest that you enjoy the belt system if that's your thing, but don't let a change of colors bother you unduly. I bet Kano sensei wouldn't have. (He seems to have been an eminently practical person.)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: