Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Sasori_Te
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kempo and Kobudo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the great posts. I love a good discussion.

angel
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: karate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh i think belt is no point. Like it doesn't show how well you fight. It shows your experience. Like what if the Orange Belt performs more katas.

I am white Belt and i beat Oranges. So there is nothing wrong with a good healthy white belt
Karate is for Self Defense not Offense

karate_woman
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kickboxing,Okinawan Goju Ryu Karate, Judo, JuJitsu,T'ai Chi, QiGong

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I went from Judo to Karate I went back to white belt from orange belt - no big deal, and the two were only marginally related (the bowing, counting and a couple of stances were all that were related at that point).

At this point (I have a black belt in Goju), I'd still just wear whatever belt the instructor suggests I wear, whether it be a white belt or my actual rank with one caveat: if I compete in tournaments, I would always wear my highest rank, (regardless of what I do in class); as a Goju black belt it is completely inappropriate to wear a Shotokan/Wado ryu, etc white belt in a tournament - it would be totally unfair in my opinion - cheating. I've seen it happen (and disapproved), though some tournament circuits actually have rules preventing that.

-Lao-Tse

Carson
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After i passed my black belt test or sensei made us wear white belts for about 2 weeks or so, to get us to remember where we came from. I think it's a great idea and it was also pretty cool to be able to go back to our white belts:)

"I will train untill I succed, I will train untill I succed, I will train, I will succed!!

rb
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: judo, bjj

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't wear a sash unless we get cleaned up for a demo. Perhaps because of that i don't care what colour it is.

As for tournaments or street fights i treat everyone as a threat and will attempt to defeat them as quickly as possible regarless of belt colour.

Sasori_Te
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent point karate_woman. I hate people sand-bagging in tournaments. You should always wear your highest rank in a tournament. If you choose to compete do it in as honorable a way as possible.

Sasori_Te
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

practise is the key, I notice your English gets better on some posts as opposed to others. So does your martial arts knowledge. How is that? *S* Since we're talking about sandbagging here.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've changed my opinion about this issue. At first, I felt that you should keep your rank in the new dojo. Now, I feel that if you are practicing a new style, then you should start at the bottom again. Your instructor should allow you to be on an "accelerated" rank schedule, removing hours requirements. Aside from the hours requirement, all other standards should remain. Once you have achieved a rank that will adequately challenge you with your skill level, then the normal hours restrictions should apply, if your dojo employs them.

karate_woman
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kickboxing,Okinawan Goju Ryu Karate, Judo, JuJitsu,T'ai Chi, QiGong

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sasori_Te wrote:
practise is the key, I notice your English gets better on some posts as opposed to others. So does your martial arts knowledge. How is that? *S* Since we're talking about sandbagging here.

If you are referring to my English, my only explanation is the more hurried and/or emotional the response, the worse my grammar will be. In addition, the time of day I'm writing and other factors will affect my writing abilities (I've written at 2 am before). Obviously, the more time and thought I put into a post (and the more wide awake I am), the better it will read. Since (Canadian) English is pretty much all I've ever spoken and written on a consistent basis, that's all I can say about that

-Lao-Tse

wrestlingkaratechamp
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Brown belt shotkan karate/black belt 1st dan BJJ(8 years) high school wrestling champion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beleive that black belt and every other color are just add ons to the white belt moves because white belts are the most important moves.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: