Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

dippedappe
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Bujinkan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

opnek wrote:
dippedappe wrote:
I have read that Bruce Lee has never been defeated. And in his biografy there isnt anything about being defeated by that guy.

Thats just too silly to comment on. Lee was just a man. There is always someone better. Always. He was one of the greats for sure, but not undefeatable. Your buying into commercial crap, and not doing your homework. He did study with Parker, and Parkers blackbelts did beat him on a consistent basis. There is documented proof, and I heard it from a man that HAS sparred Lee, and watched him get beaten. Just because it didnt happen in a tournament that the news media was subjected to, doesnt mean it didnt happen.

True. But theres another factor to consetter. Was it before Bruce had the back injury or after?

ROB
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: SHUKOKAI KARATE, LAU GAR KUNG FU, JUDO , JU JUTSU, KICK BOXING

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GENE LABELLE, STEVE MORRIS,ROY SHAW,LENNY MCCLEAN.

dippedappe
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROB wrote:

?????

dippedappe
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dippedappe wrote:
ROB wrote:

?????

Sorry. not very well written reply.

What I meant was, whats your point?

ROB
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real world fighters, not 9 stone movie stars.
Thats my point.

dippedappe
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me why you dont think bruce lee whas a real world fighter.

ROB
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Bruce Lee was a good martial artist and a super fit individual, who did a lot for the martial arts through his excellent movies.
But at the end of the day he was a movie actor, and practising martial artist, not a competitive fighter.
Reading Lee's biographies, I recall only one may be two times he actually had a fight, the results of which were not very conclusive.
The people I quoted in my favorite fighters, were and are just that fighters, who have took on all comers of any style, weight or size, coming out on top, and living to tell the tail.
Read Gene Labelles autobiography, a hollywood stunt man, Judo and wrestling champ, and trainer of many great fighters, this man wrapped Lee up and ran around the studio with him, with Lee struggling to get free and shouting threats.
A great many martial artists still believe what the see in the movies, which is a joke, it bears no resemblence to real world fighting.

dippedappe
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the streetfights, he was in? The battles on rooftops against other martial artist? The fight he had, when he introduced fullcontact sparring? And his jkd was all about what was most effecient in real fights.

White Warlock
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: See my Intro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ouch... hate to walk into a love fest, but...

What streetfights? There are no recorded incidents of such, nor are there any police reports indicating such.

What battles on rooftops? The only time i know of him 'battling' on a rooftop, was when he worked out with William Cheung on the rooftop of the building Yip Man's school was situated in. William Cheung was the senior student and outclassed Bruce Lee in wing chun skills.

He introduced fullcontact? I saw a video where he wore protective gear and sparred with someone, but i would hardly have called that the 'intro' of full contact, nor was it all that impressive.

Bruce was a dance champion in Hong Kong. He studied a few years of wing chun. He eventually got into film. What he had, more than anything else, was the willingness to question the status quo, once he was exposed to American systems. Particularly wrestling, fencing and boxing. Occidental fighting systems he encountered while in college.

Some have argued that Bruce was the first Chinese to teach occidentals. However, Jimmy Woo taught occidentals before Bruce, and there were many others prior to Jimmy.

So... not a legendary martial artist who died before he could pass on his vast wealth of knowledge, but a martial arts actor who died mysteriously at the height of his career, and thus became a legend.

Intro

ROB
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dippedappe,
You are obviously a big fan of Bruce Lee, and why not, he lite all our imaginations with his films.
I worshipped at the alter of Bruce when I was a youngster, sneaking in to see Big Boss, and Way of the dragon at age 13, I loved the stuff.
His Jet kune do was ground breaking in mixing the martial arts, which has been carried on and refined by his former pupils and friends, no argument.
But may be here's where we differ, all this doesn't make him a great fighter, physically he was very small, the majority of his fighting skills were stand up, even in the 70's, he could have travelled to thai land and fourght there, or Brasil, the Gracies have been taking on all commers since the year dot.
He never actually fourght any one, it was all theory, and through his films he was able to promote him self well.
Lets face 30 years after his death we are still talking about, what he may have been capable of.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8
Jump to: