Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2001 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do about 10 minutes of rope-skipping. Two 3 minute rounds of squats, going as fast as I can. 2 Two 3 minute rounds of jumping jacks. 3 rounds of shadow boxing. 6 rounds of pole-bag work (it's a stationary heavy bag that is built around a steel pole). 3 rounds of Thai pad work. Sometimes the Thai pad work is replaced with sparring.
That is a regiment I do 2 to 3 times a week.
I also grapple with the Gracie Jujitsu guys once or twice a week, and that's a nasty workout as well.
2 or 3 times a week I train in my Kali and Silat methods, as well as my Jun Fan Gung Fu (JKD).
Oh, and I hit the weights 3 times a week.

Tim Greer
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2001 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-06-24 06:58, Angus wrote:
I am curious to know how the majority of you work out. What you do, when you do it, how often, for how long?

On top of my classes i workout at least 2 hours a day, four days a week... I centre my workout around weights, skipping, and shadow boxing. I occasionally run and do heavy bagwork.... No workout is complete without crunches... I try to do 1000 reps at least on my stomach, even if i'm tired, i have to do this... I tend to clam more than i crunch but clamming's harder.

Shadow boxing is also very good for my heartrate, hooey it gets goin!

Any replies are appreciated!
Angus.

This is a work out routine I created for myself. You'll probably think this is crazy or just overkill... and it might be. I was seeking information on ways to "streamline" this with the same effects, if not replace somethings that would be more of an advantage:

Daily:

* Warm Up with various techniques and exercises.
* Stretch out in various ways (all parts of the body).
* Do some cardiovascular exercises to get the blood going.
* Jump-rope.
* Jumping Jacks.
* Run 2 to 4 miles.
* Isometrics.
* Practice techniques of different arts/styles.
* Sparring.
* Use the heavy bag, speed bag, etc.
* Punching, kicking, striking, etc.
* Sparring (again).
* Power and speed training.
* Hands and fingers, gripping, grasping, Mou Sou, trapping hands,
Chi Sao, blocking, locking, hooking, etc.
* Wrist, arms, shoulders.
* Eyes - hands.
* Stability, balance.
* More punching, kicking and applying, testing.
* Attack zone's.
* More sparring.
* Weapons.
* Free-style.
* Stretch out again after finishing.

And then, depending on if it's day one or day two (workouts w/ weights):

Day one: (Upper body - every other-day).
* Curls (reps 3 x 10).
* Reverse Curls (reps 3 x 10).
* Bench Press (reps 3 x 10).
* Straight arm lifts (up) (reps 3 x 10).
* Straight arm lifts (down) (reps 3 x 10).
* Pull-bar (reps 3 x 10).
* Military press (front and behind head) (reps 3 x 20).
* Wrist-roller.
* Push-ups (800)
- Regular (on palm, fingers forward) (100).
- Finger tips (100).
- Pyramid (middle. thumbs and index fingers meet on both hands) (100).
- Back of hand (fingers facing in towards each other) (100).
- Regular (palms, fingers facing inside towards each other) (100).
- Regular (plans, fingers facing outside, away from each other) (100).
- Fist (First two knuckles only) (100).
- First (side, last three knuckles only) (100).
* Back-pushups (prop legs on chair, your back facing
and touching the ground and push your body up). (500)
- Fist (Knuckles facing head) (100).
- Fist (knuckles to the side, facing out) (100).
- Finger tips (straight down) (100).
- Palms (Facing forward) (100).
- Palms (Facing side ways) (100).
* Elbow push-ups (make sense? Refer to above, but on elbows) (200).
- Forearms facing each other (to inside).
- Forearms facing outside.
* Roman chair (push-ups in this position x 20)
Hold for as long as possible and try lifting
your body and legs up while in stance.
* French Press (reps 3 x 10).
* Incline Curls (reps 3 x 10).
* Wrist curls (reps 3 x 10).
* Reverse wrist curls (reps 3 x 10).
* Pullover (reps 3 x 10).
* Chin-ups (100).
* Shoulder-Press.
* Lot's of forearms stuff.

Day Two: (Lower Body - every-other day).
* Squats (reps 3 x 10).
* Leg presses (forward, up) (reps 3 x 10).
* Leg presses (backwards) (reps 3 x 10)
* Leg raises/lifts (250)
- hold after last one in air for 5 minutes ea. level x 5 levels.
* Sit-ups (250).
* Twisting Sit-ups (250) (125 per side).
* Calf raise (reps 10 x 10).
* Waist twist.
* Leaning twist.
* Side bends.
* Kicks.
* Cycling.
* Treadmill.
* Knees.
* More Stomach and waist:
- Flag.
- Twist.
- Bend.
- Stretching.
* Clean and press (reps 3 x 10).
* Deep knee bends.
* Side leg raises.
* Stairs.
* Dead lift.

I realize this wouldn't be possible for most people, due to limitations on extra time. However, I work from home and program (various Internet stuff) and this affords me this lifestyle. This certainly takes time to build up to, but in reality, all the excersices are not difficult to do, provided you work your way up and add more tasks as you get used to it. I.e., adding another 100 pushups, after you can do 200, isn't difficult. I try and keep my body in constant motion. It's certainly not easy, but once you get used to this schedule and type of work out, every day, your body wakes up and wants to go. You have energy all day and feel great.

Since I work from home, and since I have all the equipment, I can simply walk away from the computer and get busy doing this stuff, sit back down after my body as cooled down properly, do some work, get up and do more activity. When sparring, I get together with the person and we conjure up, theorize and apply new and different techniques and fighting methods. We try new things, to work off of others and incorpoerate ideas from one system into anothee and so forth. Practice to get to where, no matter what happens in action, in movement, you remain on balance and able to avoid, defend or counter or attack, given any position. That's to say, get used to being thrown, knocked around, knocked down, in a compromising position an think, practive and take action, by whatever manner you can, depending on different variables -- such as where they are, the force of the throw or take down, etc.

Practice everything from standing and staying up, if possible, to wrestling/BJJ and various ground fighting. I'm sure this isn't an original thought, but to not be used to the clean, sparring with techniques you expect or know about or are used to. New things, surprising, unexpected, not intended to be directed at you as a beautifully executed attack, but attacks that are common to realistic fighting, uncontrolled even... your opponant doing completely horrible, stupid and reckless moves, do you are more experienced when fighting someone that's possibly big, strong and fast, but untrained and out of control. I find this fun. That's not to say that the most perfected techniques aren't applied and tetsed either, of course.

Anything that anyone can suggest in a theory in technique, idea, or application, or that can be done to further develop greater speed, strength or whatever to use in them is also very desirable. Therefore, anything practical I can incorporate or make as an addition or replacement in my routine, I am very open to suggestions. I believe that as far as practicing and preparing for applications and techniques, I've got it down to a science that's best suited for me personally, which includes many things for speed and accuracy training, as well as to strengthen and make certain things more natural and fluid and fast... be it anything that applies to any style of technique I feel it of even the smallest of remote value.

Therefore, a big portion of my day, every day, involves working out and moreso, practice and training. I don't mean to come off as completely intense or overkill, there are breaks, slowdowns, fun parts and the like. It's not contstant madness and excersion. As I said, realistically ,the workout's, there's not that any things I am doing, if you really look at it, and each day the cardivascular routines are not stressful on the body.. and well, training and praicticing and putting thought, effort and theory into developing techniques and a unique style that best suits a person's specific needs and desires is only what I want to be doing, so that too isn't overkill in my opinion. I just try and live it to the potential. Again, any suggestions on a better replacement, other's I've asked had nothing to offer...

Also, if I'm not around for a while, I'm just away training. :-)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2001 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha, dude, you're a machine!

Very overkill but if it's good for u then it's good! I just do whatever we do in the classes and then work my basic weights all over the body. I try to vary it otherwise i get bored.
I haven't done weights the last couple of days cos i didn't feel like it, so i didn't force myself. I did running and bagwork instead. Today i'm gonna do weights though cos i feel like it.

Take care dude,
Angus

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2001 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I shall now go into more details

My daily routine will tend to be as follows

Warmup
5 minutes solid Starjumps (Cardiovascular and leg work)
5 Minute of curls (biceps)
5 minutes of overhead lifts (triceps)
5 Minutes of bench presses (chest)
15 Minutes of situps - quite possibly strongest part of my body.
5 more minutes of Starjumps or burpees
5 minutes stretching and cool down

Well, thats about it, but sometimes if I don't feel up to it I may do nothing but stretching or burpees, or somedays I might do 10 minutes on each type of method of weights..

On Sundays, however, I tend to do the following...

Warmup
Starjumps
10 minutes curls
10 minutes overhead
10 minutes bench presses
50 pushups
Technique practice
200 punches after each other
100 various kicks one after another
15 minutes situps
Starjumps
Stretching

Well, thats about it... quite a lot of the time if I am feeling down I will lessen the workout... tonight I have my Taekwon-Do lesson (just one a week!) and don't feel much like working out so I might just go do some Burpees and Starjumps

Peace

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Tim Greer
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2001 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should mention, on my list above, although it's certainly possible and likely to complete the entire workout, I don't always do all of the routines, sometimes for lack of time or being burned out, but all the days I can, hopefully most of them, if not all, I try to do it all... however, even sparring takes out a great deal of the day and my time. As long as you're fit, strong and fast enough, there's no need to go overkill, unless you want.

Also, if I'm not around for a while, I'm just away training. :-)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2001 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on man!

Too many people burn themselves out by working harder instead of smarter...

Stay kool!
Angus

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2001 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being the newbie to workouts and martial arts that I am, I must ask... what excactly are crunches? Are they simply tensing the muscles?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2001 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, crunches are basically situps where you crunch your stomach muscles by kinda doing a rolling situp instead of going straight up, and u DO NOT REST YOUR BACK ON THE GROUND IN BETWEEN REPS!

I tend to do a harder sort called clamming... very hard to explain...

Angus

Valn
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2001 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to my martial arts training I lift weight three times a week, run three times a week.
By the way, I didn't come to martial arts to be fit because I was fit before I went to it. I came to martial arts to make use of my mucles and to improve my fighting skills.

Joecooke007
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2001 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your workout sounds good to me. When I work out, if I have the time I will go through all of what I know in Karate and believe me It's a lot. And then I will physically train my muscles (for added effect).

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: