Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

chrissyp
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Muay Thai/ Shotokan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Bare knuckle Boxing? Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone had information or a guide on how to fight bare knuckle boxing? I've been trying to learn about the techniques, how to fight differently with gloves and without gloves, ext.

I also found this, which I find neat.
It shows the similarites in techniques between Bare Knuckle boxing and Karate, which I find very neat.

http://shotokankarate-magpie.blogspot.com/2009/10/old-bare-knuckles-boxing-and-karate_15.html

lowereastside
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: kung fu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Bare knuckle Boxing? Reply with quote

I hope this helps - there are a few Bare Knuckle Boxing info - Google

http://www.livestrong.com/article/419304-how-to-train-for-bare-knuckle-boxing/

Good Luck

kensei
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I can add is the fact that rounds were shorter, less of them...and way less punches thrown than in regular boxing....not as many jabs as the risk of broken hands goes WAY up with bare knuckle boxing.

ShoriKid
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Matsubyashi-Ryu, Okinawan Kempo, wrestling, bits of BJJ

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kensei wrote:
The only thing I can add is the fact that rounds were shorter, less of them...and way less punches thrown than in regular boxing....not as many jabs as the risk of broken hands goes WAY up with bare knuckle boxing.

Actually it sort of ran the opposite as to the number of rounds. Until the MQ rules became popular rounds were often of variable length with each lasting until a knock down was scored. Unless the fight had a predetermined number of rounds they lasted until a man was downed and couldn't come to the mark in the given time, most commonly one minute. Some famous fights went into the triple digits.

Dobbersky
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Black Tiger Ashihara Karate Jutsu, Japanese Kickboxing, Cheng Man Ch'ing TaiChi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShoriKid wrote:
kensei wrote:

Actually it sort of ran the opposite as to the number of rounds. Until the MQ rules became popular rounds were often of variable length with each lasting until a knock down was scored. Unless the fight had a predetermined number of rounds they lasted until a man was downed and couldn't come to the mark in the given time, most commonly one minute. Some famous fights went into the triple digits.

I agree, us Kyokushin guys tend to fight without gloves and I've not known of anyone breaking their hands. We even do 100 man kumite and that's continuous as in no breaks

andym
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://historyofbkb.weebly.com/

This is more about the history of western bare knuckle boxing, but may give you some leads

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dobbersky wrote:
ShoriKid wrote:
kensei wrote:

I agree, us Kyokushin guys tend to fight without gloves and I've not known of anyone breaking their hands. We even do 100 man kumite and that's continuous as in no breaks

Punching to the head changes that, though. Bare knuckle Boxing wouldn't have had the number of head shots that we see in today's bouts. More body blows, and don't forget that throwing was allowed in bouts, as well.

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say "Bare Knuckle Boxing" to me I think of Gypsy boxing or what they call "Fair Fighting". The practice is banned here in the UK.

chrissyp
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Muay Thai/ Shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to learn the techniques of it, how it was faught...i think a lot of it would be applicable to today mma bouts prehapse? I see fighters fighting the way they do in the cage like they would if they're wearing big boxing gloves.

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wearing a boxing glove you can hit harder, but with an MMA glove the contact area is smaller and there is not so much padding. I suppose it balances the damage you can do. In bare knuckle boxing if you have "good hands" you can hit hard surfaces and not damage them, many fighters wear hand wraps only; giving a hard fist that does't break the skin on contact. Sand bag conditioning and treating your skin in white spirit are other tactics, but they have their side-effects. I think MMA gloves are tried and tested to be the weapons of choice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: