Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Rich_2k3
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Trodai Karate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have completly mastered at least one style, have decades of experience in it and then start to consider it. U'd also have to be a natural martial artist and have a good mind for human physiology.

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: white chocolate profiteroles and natas....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm going to be general here and say that without a good foundation, you cannot build anything.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Shorinryu Sensei
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo (Seito/Orthodox) Karate and Kobudo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: creating you own martial arts style Reply with quote

blaze78_9 wrote:
im not sure how to create a martial arts style of my own
could you give me some pointers

Oh heck, creating your own system is easy!

1. Grab any martial arts magazine on the newstand and order a gi (that's a uniform), preferably black as that's cooler, and a black belt. You can order black belts with stripes already on them. I would recommend, since you're just starting out, no more than 7 stripes..and you can progress to 10 by aqdding one more per year. That should be an acceptable rate I would think for self-promotion. Cost for the uniform/belt will be around $50-60 or so I think. Don't forget to also order as many patches as you can to adorn the gi, inclding the sides of the pant legs. A good general rule of thumb is the more patches you can put on a gi, the better and more experienced you will look to new students.

2. You probably should consider also getting as many video tapes as possible, and maybe watching some legitimate classes and taking notes of them, so you actually have something to teach people when you're ready to start classes.

3. Open a dojo. Take out a huge loan and get the most traffic visible store you can afford. You need big, splashy signs out front with the name of your system/style on it. Remember, the bigger and flashier the better if you want to draw in new students. Charge at least $100/month, because a higher cost means better product in most peoples minds.

4. Don't forget to name your system. Something like Bullcrappieryu...or Fooldya Kenpo. You also want to make up good, plausable storys and linages on your system, because somebody might ask you "Where does this system come from?", and they expect an answer. Try "I learned it from an old Chinese guy that used to work at the local laundry down the street, but he died a couple of years ago (then they can't trace it back to him and ask embarassing questions). You were his only student, and he was the Supreme Master of his little known system. That's always a good dodge and most people will accept it. Don't forget to make up a good name for the guy. Lee is always a good last name for a martial arts master.

5. Another good idea is to have a good "escape plan". You need to consider what would happen if a guy with 3-6 months of boxing, or maybe a year of real martial arts experience comes into your dojo and wants to train. Of course, because you really don't know much, you can't let the guy in because the first time you spar, they're going to probably wipe the floor with you and make you look stupid to the other students..so you need to come up with a good way of not letting the person into your class without opening yourself up to a lawsuit, or a challenge match. Something like..."I'm sorry, the class if full right now..let me put your name on our waiting list" should suffice.

I'm sure others will come up with other ideas, but that should give you something to think about and get you started on the right path to starting your own system and making it work.

Good luck...and please, keep us posted as to how you're progressing. :D

blaze78_9
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: jujitsu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

equaninimus
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Seibukan, Shotokan, Wado Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition, download photos of famous Martial Artists from the web, and photoshop yourself into the pictures. Next, add autoigraphs. I think that things like : "To my friend, the only man to ever kick my butt, peace out, Yasutsune Itosu," would be appropriate.

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y'know, i'm wondering how long before 'photoshop' enters the english dictionary.

dammit, that was OUR secret five years ago...

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you even think about creating a system, you should build a solid base in one style. Then fill the gaps you may have. And then, when you feel what you are doing is far from your base style, that you feel you are doing something else, you can say you have your own system.
This is a good article about the subject:
http://www.blackbeltmag.com/archives/blackbelt/1999/sep99/3.html
hope it helps.

blitzcraig
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: National Karate/TKD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would also be good to find fighters in a different MA than yours and mix the styles to your liking. Oh, and if this gets big we all get free lessons right?
#1"The road to tae kwan leep is an endless road leading into the herizon, you must fully understand its ways". #2"but i wanna wax the walls with people now" #1"come ed gruberman, your first lesson is here.....boot to the head" #2"ouch, you kicked me in the head", #1"you learn quickly ed gruberman"

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or just do what a lot of kids do.
buy a book.
copy the things you can do.
ignore the rest.
repeat.

then buy a video.
copy what you can do.
ignore the rest.
repeat.

so many styles, so many books, so many videos.

harrisonvontrout
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking for a book I found a couple of years ago at a library, but i totally forgot the name of it and who wrote it. It was about how to make your own kickboxing equipment (such as bags, fighting dummies, etc.) using materials around the house. I remember in the intro the author says that he made his own style called "(His Name)'s Rock and Roll Style." He explained that he gave it a silly name on purpose so his students would forget about style and just focus on the art.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8
Jump to: