Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

blitzcraig
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: National Karate/TKD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol.....I know I wouldnt attend that school....$150 a month.....I better be taught by like tito ortez or chuck lidel or jacky chan....
#1"The road to tae kwan leep is an endless road leading into the herizon, you must fully understand its ways". #2"but i wanna wax the walls with people now" #1"come ed gruberman, your first lesson is here.....boot to the head" #2"ouch, you kicked me in the head", #1"you learn quickly ed gruberman"

amp
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo/RyuTe Karate, Aikido

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blitzcraig wrote:
lol.....I know I wouldnt attend that school....$150 a month.....I better be taught by like tito ortez or chuck lidel or jacky chan....

Only if the Asian music really sets the mood for some really serious light contact sparring!

Oh, you'll also need cool headbands and know how to fake Ki demonstrations if you want to have a successful new martial art. And never forget the glow-in-the-dark nunchaku.

equaninimus
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Seibukan, Shotokan, Wado Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And decor that resembles a cheesey chinese restaurant!

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: white chocolate profiteroles and natas....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't forget the bruce lee posters....

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

fireka
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: isshin-ryu, hopefully soon to study boken-do

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay it's really ironic that this thread was here, I need to tell you guys this because even though I know i'm gonna get nailed, I think of each of you as my friends.

See *sigh* I LOVE the martial arts. But I have this problem, I have never made it above white belt in anything, this is for a lot of reasons really, none of them having to do with skill. I just never did test. But a big thing with me is I don't like the way the arts are treated now, or this mentality that if you've stopped going to a dojo to train, or you don't pay for a pro dojo your not a martial artist.

Well for the last two years these ideas have been coming to me. Now I write a lot of fiction, I'm going into the Navy and collage next year, hopeing to earn a PHD in English, but these were more like philosophy. Part of it comes from Japanese stuff iv'e read, part Chinese, a little Indian, and some Celtic, Ittalian and Greek philosophy. With all that knoladge I gained from various places I started formulating my own philosophy about my world and paticularly the way people in it act.

Don't get me wrong it's still at an early stage but i'm learning more the more I experiment with it. I'm starting to re-look the way I view meditation, and even fighting. The fact is I want, eventually, to turn this into, (oh boy here it goes,) my own martial art. This is an eventual thing, I do want to gain at least shodan in a style and I want to participate in lots of different styles to see what kind of system I want to create. But more than anything this is an internal art that could probably be applied to any system once the devine inspiration stops and the theory complete, or at least the part i'm going to write is complete. the fact is if people don't do stuff like this and take the ridicule the martial arts community will provide we won't have styles like Isshinryu.

Again, this is something i'm working on over a long period of time and it will be given lots of practical application before I start teaching it to anyone, but I hope that my travels in the navy will help. I also hope at least some of you except this task i'm undertaking, I will do it regardless but if I had any support at all from the people in this forum the motivation would be tremendous. Please tell me if i'm going about thinking this through the right way. Thank you.

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wanna create your own system then that's a good thing - most of the major MA systems were created by students breaking away and doing their own thing - but I'd make sure I was proficient in at least one art before trying to create my own, especially if you're (meaning 'one' not 'you' in particular!!) gonna teach people your new system or even charge them to learn.
Just ask yourself WHY you want to create your own style. What is the reasoning behind it - why is there a need for you to try and create a new system?
Also, are you doing anything radically different from any other style? If your new system looks like very bad TKD/karate/kickboxing, then that's probably because it IS very bad TKD/karate/kickboxing/whatever.

Sheffield Steelers!

fireka
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay thats cool. Well, the need for a new style is the following.

1. The over-comercialization of Martial arts. The politicts behind what I'm creating should allow you to study an art wether your intrest be for deffense, cultural intrest, or tournament, without paying an arm and a leg all the time or dealing with fake teachers.

2. anti-rank propaganda. One of the elements of the system i'm creating is that the only way to prove your skill is in the ring is with another fighter, not by looking at a $5.25 belt. We do wear obi's in this system but there color is a symbol individual to the persons spiritual growth (you'll see what I mean if you ever look at the system)

3. Grappling and striking styles need to be combined.

4. Asia and Europe both developed awesome fighting styles, but while asias fluroshed europes began to dwendel and the two never had the chance to mingle. I plan on combining what I learn from my study of Japanese fighting styles and from ARMA (association of renosance martial arts) to finnaly bring these two togather.

5. I'm doing this because I was inspired by this new theology I have and if I get inspired i can't help but run with it.

I agree, I want to be profiecent at one style at least and tweedle with soem others. Right now I plan on trying to get a shodan in Isshinryu, Instructor certification in Celtic forms from ARMA and be pretty good at Japanese JuJitsu.

However really, the root of this style i'm creating is internal, and thereofre if one wanted, they could study my internal art and apply it's principals to there own favorite martial art. Another big focus is on taking up arts outside the Martial Arts, for instanc,e in the first book on this subject I want to release I stress learning Culunary things, or flower arrangeing, or mastering Haiku or even fiction writing. "The arts, martial or not, are all the same spirit. It lives just outside the stomach, and if you let it, will climb the veins to open the door to the heart, and make itself comfroble in the soul."

blitzcraig
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: National Karate/TKD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds good
#1"The road to tae kwan leep is an endless road leading into the herizon, you must fully understand its ways". #2"but i wanna wax the walls with people now" #1"come ed gruberman, your first lesson is here.....boot to the head" #2"ouch, you kicked me in the head", #1"you learn quickly ed gruberman"

White Warlock
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: See my Intro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shorinryu Sensei. Good one.

Returning to a little seriousness, let me rattle the cage a bit.

While every 'existing' system has something to offer, some more than others, some being defined as complete, while others esoteric, and still others eclectic, each also holds to a foundation in understanding or application. This foundation may or may not conducive to your philosophies.

Granted, there are thousands of different systems out there, some of them being very unique, so sometimes the argument comes along that there really isn't a need to create a 'new' system. But I would disagree.

Proficiency in an existing system, in my opinion, is not a necessity. In fact, it can be a setback, in that you may base your 'new' system on a pre-existing system, adding a few tricks here and there from the international grab bag. But it is not any more a new system as it is merely a 'modified' system. A system catered to your likes and/or dislikes.

If someone can devise a completely new approach to martial arts, regardless of whether they have 'mastered' any other system, the true test is whether this new approach is effective outside of the lab.

On the other hand, attempting to create something from nothing is exceedingly difficult. Without understanding what has been created and tested in the past, one would very likely waste a tremendous amount of time and energy 'relearning' already well-known misconceptions.

Personally, i'm inclined to encourage 'hybrid' systems, where one would master 'two' or more systems, then merge them to create a new and hopefully more effective style.

fireka
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well initialy I had planned on forgeing this like a hybrid system but with a new philosophy backing it up, however what your saying about creating one from a different approach intrest me. Basically the idea is practical application, if I can make a new approach work than I have something. But in this concept, is the use of old technique completely forgotten? No I guess it would not nessisarily have to be depending on what is implied by 'new approach'.

Any way alot of this i'm not baseing one one art, but rather the rooted documents of the Martial Arts themselves, such as the Book of the Five Rings and Sun Tzu's Art of War just to name the easy to find ones. If it's not broke don't fix it on one side. I don't know, i'm so far from actually creating physical technique for this thing it's really not even worth thinking about, however my internal side of the art is developing rapidly and i'm already begining to apply it.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8
Jump to: