Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ts757
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spirit of shotokan karate is generally to take out your opponent in one technique. On the street, this is unrealistic, and the best way to win a fight is to kick/ knee your assailant as hard as possible in the groin. Then knock them out

DarkMonkey
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. They do learn one day. After quite considerable training then people start to get into the techniques properly and learn to control them. You can't just put anyone into random sparring if they don't properly know the implications of their techniques. I know I feel uncomfortable using some moves in kurmite.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.. Kumite huh? Is that where you just touch the other person and get a point? Full contact sparring is more realistic. UFC/MMA type of sparring gets even better. Add weapons and you get even more into a street type of situation.. Now add multiple opponents. Really, to keep yourself ready for a street situation, you must train for one.. you have to hit bags and pads, you have to train weapons, you have to train grappling and you must learn to deal with more than one attacker. You also have to develope the offensive mindset that you are going to beat your opponent before he knows what's going on.
You have to realize that there are no rules in the street, and capitolize on it. Learn the eye-jabs, learn the uses of pulling hair, pinching, biting and eye-gouging. Learn how to use anythign as a weapon, even your clothing. Learn how to use the environment to your advantage.
There are many things that become factors in teh street, and it's nigh-impossible to train for all of them, but if you get the concept, then that's the best you can hope for. Point-sparring , in my opinion, is very detrimental to learning self-defense.

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really REALLY well put ken, i actually enjoyed reading that post. I agree wholehreatedly with u about the kumite (point-sparring) thing and am greatful that io had done kickboxing beforehand.

I have been in the street scene a couple of times and i will tell u that if u hesitate or lose concentration for one second then u are gone. Especially if u have a weapon. I wear only one specific group of pants now, one's that allow for u to put leather belts around them. This was i always have a weapon on me. Take the belt off super quick by sliding it and then fold it roughly in half and u have a solid leather weapon to whip them across the face with. I haven't used it yet but i reckon it's a good idea, especially if they have a knife.

I'd only really use it against weapons or multiple attackers though, cos i like just fighting without weapons most of the time.

Remember when u'r in a fight - attack fast, attack first, and stick to the basics.

Angus

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2001 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah.I too really enjoyed reading that post.Yes Ts757 I couldn't have said It better myself.

www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2001 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its so quiet in hear I can actually hear my heartbeat!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Valn
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2001 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Street fighting is very different than sparring and I feel that there should be a greater emphasis on techniques which works on the street.

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2001 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too.More like self defense techniques,Right!

Warlock
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2001 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As moobrack knows I don't like fighting that much I don't know why

Sorry I was away I forgot my password

But I rememberd it

C YA

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2001 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats Handy!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: