Add KarateForums.com
KarateForums.com Offline for Migration on September 5
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 94, 95, 96 ... 101, 102, 103  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that, Ken. I thought the Lions had a good shot to win that game. I didn't get to watch all of it, so I don't what flipped on them. I saw that they jumped out to an early lead, but the Niner's closed it by the time I had to leave.

The good news is I think the Lions are built to make a run for a few years. I agree that they've got a great coach who can keep improving over the next few seasons.

That Ravens defense was stout in the second half. KC couldn't get any offense going, which was a problem in the regular season in the second half of games. I'm going to chalk it up to a great defensive team making some great adjustments.

MVS, for all the struggles he's had this year, came up big in the last two games when the Chiefs needed him. Kelce has been great the last two games, and now I just need him to set some Super Bowl tight end records. The KC defense came up big with two turnovers, the obvious difference in the game.

I never thought as a Chiefs fan I'd see a run like this. It's truly just awesome to watch.

KarateKen
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Sorry about that, Ken. I thought the Lions had a good shot to win that game. I didn't get to watch all of it, so I don't what flipped on them. I saw that they jumped out to an early lead, but the Niner's closed it by the time I had to leave.

The good news is I think the Lions are built to make a run for a few years. I agree that they've got a great coach who can keep improving over the next few seasons.

That Ravens defense was stout in the second half. KC couldn't get any offense going, which was a problem in the regular season in the second half of games. I'm going to chalk it up to a great defensive team making some great adjustments.

MVS, for all the struggles he's had this year, came up big in the last two games when the Chiefs needed him. Kelce has been great the last two games, and now I just need him to set some Super Bowl tight end records. The KC defense came up big with two turnovers, the obvious difference in the game.

I never thought as a Chiefs fan I'd see a run like this. It's truly just awesome to watch.

Well basically they became the Lions of old. I have been a Lions fan since 1991, which was the only other time they have ever played in the NFC Championship Game. That second half summed up 30 years of being a Lions fan in 30 minutes. Dropped passes, missed tackles, bad play calls, and unlucky bounces. This is how it goes being a Lions fan.

In the third quarter, with a 14-point lead, the Lions face a 4th and two where they can go for it or kick a 43-yard field goal. They go for it, that is what the Lions do, and the WR had a chance and dropped the pass. From that moment on it was all 49ers. Every big comeback in football has a turning point, that was it right there. 49ers go down and get a TD, so instead of it being a three-possession game now it is one. Lions needed to respond with a big drive and on the first play the running back fumbles it. At that point I felt the Lions could be in big trouble.

In the fourth quarter, down 24-27, they faced another 4th down where they did not get it. They could have tried a 47-yard FG to tie the game but missed on the 4th down and the 49ers took over.

It was right there for them to win, and they couldn't get it.

This is the closest the team has ever gotten to the Super Bowl and I agree they are set up well for the next few years, it is just so hard to get back, especially if they lose the offensive coordinator, Ben Johnson, who is a candidate for the Washington job.

There will be a lot of excitement about the team going into next season. I hope I live long enough to see the Lions win a Super Bowl someday.

DarthPenguin
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the 4th down plays i saw some stats that showed they were both the right calls - each of them had a higher win probability that not going for it, so the coach was objectively 'correct'.

They are very close now though. They are beginning to peak and some of the other teams will be getting close to salary cap issues now. The niners have been good for several years now which gets expensive. They got lucky that they hit big on a very cheap QB!

The chiefs are an interesting one to me. Andy Reid gets so much love now but i still remember how much stick he got in Philly as someone who couldn't win the big one. Had a top tier QB in McNabb still but couldn't get over the hump. Now has a first ballet HoFer in Mahomes and has several wins in superbowl and pretty much is a lock for the HoF himself now. Makes me slightly rethink my old views on the Patriots Belichick / Brady dynasty and how bit an impact they each had.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the thing in the NFL. Just because someone "hasn't done it yet" doesn't mean they can't do it. Sometimes you just run into the better team. I remember the Broncos losing several Super Bowls before they finally got theirs. And the woes of the Vikings and the Bills in Super Bowls is legendary as well. It's hard to get there, let alone win one.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have seriously thought of kicking the Cowboys to the curb and start supporting the Chiefs. Why? Well, they kept Dak and McCarthy...and Jerry still owns the Cowboys. I never respected Jerry for the way he fired Landry.

Still on the fence how I feel.

GO CHIEFS!!

DarthPenguin
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
That's the thing in the NFL. Just because someone "hasn't done it yet" doesn't mean they can't do it. Sometimes you just run into the better team. I remember the Broncos losing several Super Bowls before they finally got theirs. And the woes of the Vikings and the Bills in Super Bowls is legendary as well. It's hard to get there, let alone win one.

Yeah the Bills one is always a funny one. Have seen them rated quite highly in the best teams ever lists since the achievement of getting to 4 straight superbowls was so tough to do - almost harder than winning one! (though i would have preferred a win!)

DarthPenguin
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Have seriously thought of kicking the Cowboys to the curb and start supporting the Chiefs. Why? Well, they kept Dak and McCarthy...and Jerry still owns the Cowboys. I never respected Jerry for the way he fired Landry.

Still on the fence how I feel.

GO CHIEFS!!

Can understand that. They have never been the same since they got rid of Jimmy Johnson - that was pure ego from Jones.

Dak is massively overpaid for his level. He is good but not top tier. McCarthy is a good coach i think but seems to have run his race in Dallas. Am honestly surprised that Belichick hasn't been offered the job.

KarateKen
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lions kept both their offensive and defensive coordinators, even though both were candidates for head coaching jobs. Johnson turned down the Washington position to stay with the Lions which is good news for the team going into next season. Dan Quinn got the job and will get his second crack at being a head coach. Seattle hired the Ravens DC for their HC position, filling up all the vacancies.

Strange to me that Bill Belichick only got interviewed by Atalanta. There were six or seven teams looking for a HC, seems bizarre to me that with such an impressive resume nobody else even had him in for an interview. Not sure what the story is there.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthPenguin wrote:

Can understand that. They have never been the same since they got rid of Jimmy Johnson - that was pure ego from Jones.

Dak is massively overpaid for his level. He is good but not top tier. McCarthy is a good coach i think but seems to have run his race in Dallas. Am honestly surprised that Belichick hasn't been offered the job.

Jerry Jones likes to be in control and have the spotlight. Bill Billichek likes to be in control. This is an arrangement that will not likely happen. Jones had enough trouble with Parcels.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarateKen wrote:

Strange to me that Bill Belichick only got interviewed by Atalanta. There were six or seven teams looking for a HC, seems bizarre to me that with such an impressive resume nobody else even had him in for an interview. Not sure what the story is there.

His Super Bowl resume is outstanding. His draft pick rating over the course of the past few years has not been impressive. I don't think there are many teams that have done a decent job identifying and drafting talent over the past few years want to give up that aspect of control, and that is part of the control that Bilicheck wants.

I saw a new story the other day that I don't think has any credence to it at all in which the author stated he thinks there's a high probability that Reid retires after this year and Bilicheck takes over as KC's new head coach. I don't think there is any way that happens, because Brett Veach has done a fantastic job of signing and drafting players. I also don't think Reid retires after this year. I think he has a few more years in him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 94, 95, 96 ... 101, 102, 103  Next
Page 95 of 103
Jump to: