Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2001 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only continue reading if you are interested in improving your combination of weights/cardio, or are willing to help a damsil in distress

Allow me to explain

Due to growing pains and lack of soft ground to run on nearby, I cannot really run in a reliable routine, so I shall hopefully be getting an exercise bike in a month or two. However I have some questions...

Is it possible to both gain muscle and lose fat at the same time, or is it a case of trying to loose as little muscle as possible while losing fat?

I heard in Angus's Running and toning thread that you have to gain weight before you could really weight train - would this mean I should pig out for 2 weeks before I start any weight training?

My aim is to gain weight in muscle, but also while burning some fat from my thighs and bum. Is this actually possible, or should I simply go on just cardio for, say, 4 months, before starting to weightrain and lesson amount of time on bike? I really do not know, but I thought up a routine as I always do so please give me your input as to how I can change it to achieve my results I want

Monday - MA Practice, 30 mins on bike
Tuesday - Weights, 10 mins on bike
Wednesday - MA Practice, 30 mins on bike
Thursday - Weights, 10 mins on bike
Friday - 15 mins on bike, MA lesson.
Saturday - Weights, 10 mins on bike
Sunday - Rest

Along with this, 5 minutes on the bike every single morning before breakfast for that fat burn/metabolism wake up. I will also eat plenty of protein.

Does this look good for burning fat, increasing endurance and increasing muscle? Or is it expectable to burn away muscle as well as fat? What improvements could be made to get the best of both worlds? Or would I have to go for say 4 months fat burning, then go for building muscle? And would I have to throw in gaining weight BEFORE I weight train for best muscle results?

If anyone knowledgable on the subject could help me here I would be so very grateful!

Thank you greatly in advance
Jack

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Slim
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2001 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The program sound excellent. I dont think you have to gain weight before you weight train, as long as you eat properly while you train, but it sounds like you know about protien and diet.I would train cardio and weights at the same time as you will benifit from both. If anything I would increase the times on the bike to a minimum of 20 minutes, this seems to be best for cardio improvement.
Also look at the different effects of high weight/low reps vs. low weight/high reps.
I would expect after a few months of that program you'de be noticing big changes in you fitness, strength and physique.
Ide wish you luck but luck has nothing to do with it, keep it regular and you'll be fine.

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2001 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment with weights I am following the advice from Ken which seems to be working dramatically - I can now bicept curl about 140% of what I could 4 months ago . His advice is very high weight, low reps, 3 sets of 8 reps infact with 3 different exercises to stimulate muscle to grow, not tear it up.

By the way, on the bike times, thats just starting. Of course the time and intensity of time of bike riding would increase. In a year I could be doing, say, 30 minutes some days an hour other days and a much higher speed

Thanks for the good luck, I'd still like KickChick to come along with a big, helpful explanation like she always does No pressure to if you don't want to though don't worry

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

kicker
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: kickboxing, muay thai, tennis, lots more.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2001 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i totaly agree with it but it`s not really for me!!

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2001 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Regime.I totally agree with the timetable of it.Its a shame I don't have a bike or an excercise bike.I suppose I can do some jogging or something instead!

www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2001 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For maximum results, you either have to train and diet to gain muscle or lose fat. One or the other. The most effective way to build a large amount of muscle mass quickly is to focus on gaining the weight first, then later on, go on a short-term fat loss diet to lower your body fat levels. Check out my post under "gaining weight"...if you are doing cardio you need to take in lots more calories!
The only way to get bigger is to shock
your body into growth by:
1.Eating a lot of calories
2.Training with heavy weights
The first shock is by eating more calories than your body is used to. This is the most important factor in gaining mass. When you overload your system with plenty of protein and fats, your body has no other choice but to gain weight. The goal is to eat just enough calories to allow your body to build more muscle, but not so many calories that you gain a large amount of body fat.
The second way to shock your body is with weight training. Weight training is the fastest way to get your body to build more muscle. Dieting and weight training both work together.
If you don't eat correctly while weight training, you WILL lose muscle tissue.

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2001 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok Thank you Kickchick.

So, if I wanted to increase indurance and gain weight in lean muscle, I will have to weight train, do cardio yet eat lots more calories and plenty of protein?

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2001 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting tuesday 23rd October 2001 thats what I am doing!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2001 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moobrack, same

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2001 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have started at approx 9:54 Tuesday 23rd October 2001.
I LOOVVEEE IITTT!

The weight I think will be set to 35Kg

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: