Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Liver Punch
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Pro Wrestling, Gun-Fu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Hook Reply with quote

No, not the pirate...the punch. A few friends and myself had a discussion today about the method in which it should be thrown. It was agreed that a horizontal fist was bad news because the smallest two knuckles tend to take the brunt of the impact. From there it was a debate about throwing as if holding a beer mug in your hand vs throwing as if you were holding that mug upside down.

The basic argument in favor of the standard "beer mug" method was that it creates more power. I have to agree, I can create a noticeable amount more power when I throw in this fashion.

The opposing argument is that throwing with your "beer mug upside down" makes it far less likely to strike with your smallest two fingers on accident, and it creates a much greater likelihood of striking the points just behind the ear (I'm terrible with pressure points...triple-warmer something of another?)

Anyhow, I do remember Gil Martinez specifically switching me to the upside down hand method, but....what say the rest of you?

Kuma
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having trouble picturing what you're suggesting. By holding it upside down, do you mean striking with the hook with the thumb side down?

Last edited by Kuma on Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the holding the cup, but I'm an in-fighter. Brian Baker teaches the upside down method as more of a long distance hook. It feels funny to me and I think the structural line up is weaker. the first method seems to rely on pec muscle, wheras the upside down method pulls on the top muscle of the shoulder. Place your fist against a threshold and press with your fist in either position to feel it. Anyway, it works well for Brian and others, I just don't like it.

The pressure point I believe is Lateral Inferior Aspect of the Occipital Bone 1. Doc would beat me up for that one.

ShoriKid
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Matsubyashi-Ryu, Okinawan Kempo, wrestling, bits of BJJ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a bad thing if you tend to switch over depending on range and target? In tight, and especially to the body, I throw a hook thumb up/vertical. It gives a little more 'dig' into the target for me and allows for the angle of the strike to shift. Once I'm head level it's thumb to the side/horizontal for the punch. I've never had an issue catching the ring/pinky knuckles on the punch or getting back behind the ear with the target unless I meant to.

A lot of it comes down to personal preference I suppose.

Liver Punch
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Pro Wrestling, Gun-Fu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have clarified from the beginning about the target. The difference in your hand is being debated on the head/face. In the body, thumb-up is almost certainly the best way to go about it. As far as range, I'm liking the idea of switching based on the target. The question become, I suppose, whether or not the risk of injury is too great to facilitate a technique that costs you power.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question.

For me, it matters as to the targets angle to my fists angle. So, if I'm tight, have a high guard and shovel, it will go beer mug up. If I'm outisde he lead arm, i'm more likely to go beer mug down (great descriptors by the way, I can actaully picture what you're saying )

That way I'm lining up weapon to target a bit more. Becauseof this natural line up, the beer mug down does tend to function better from a distance with most people at the same height.

Bottom line is, it will depend more on the weapon and target's angle, and my ability to match them up, than any other factor.

Groinstrike
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Krav Maga, Jeet Kune Do, BJJ M

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the point behind the ear is Gallbladder #20, according to Dillman.

Don't quote me on that however.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had not thought much about throwing the punch beer mug down, but when it was mentioned that way for more range, I started thinking about it. I'll have to work that on the bag some, and see how it feels.

I've thrown it both horizontal and vertical, but only on the bags. Anymore, I don't worry about trying to generate any kind of wrist rotation, and worry more about power generation from the feet and hips, so I throw it beer mug up more often now.

Thanks for the idea on beer mug down. I guess I won't know until I try it.

Kuma
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Beer mug down" in most karate systems is usually uraken mawashi uchi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAiJNIARjRo&feature=related

Starting right at about 7:00 you can see it. We'll work it in with our fighting combinations from time to time, as well as on the bags, but I've never used it in kumite yet personally.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shindokan's hook punch, Uraken Mawashi Uchi, is used by us quite a lot. Especially when engaging in close/in fighting because we live in that very up close and personal area. We don't go backwards, instead, we go to inside/outside of our opponent as we're going forward.

I've never heard of the "beer mug" expression before, but I like it and it's how we perform our hook punch, whether it's Jodan, chudan, or gedan. For us, it's a very natural punch, and in that, we use it quite a lot during kumite.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: