Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, an "example" of my response could be (but not limited to) to leap backwards a half step to avoid the attack causing the attacker to miss, which makes them off balance and exposing their side because they anticipated striking me, then to lunge forward with a snap kick to his lower abdomen/ribs or a groin/knee kick (whatever is available) and followed up with punches.

There are many other options of course including what we call "change of body", or body shifting where your front foot remains stationary and your back foot shifts away from the opponent and you simultanously (sp?) move your body, block and throw your counter strike, usually followed up immediately with low kicks to vulnerable parts of the knees, groin or lower abdomen.

Body shifting is hard to explain in print...much easier to show in a demonstration, but unfortunately I can't do that. I tried to get on utube to see if I could find an example of this and it wants me to register..what is that about? I tr4ied to register and it was supposed to send me some sort of "pin number", but it failed because I don't have premium messaging on my phone. Sooo...if you want to do a search for shorin ryu body shifting and see if there's something on there about it, feel free! lol

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My style advocates a range of responses from dodging/evading to block countering so there isn't really a a set response for this type of attack. However, I guess my own response would be to take the roundhouse on my left arm in a modified outer forearm block/parry whilst stepping in and simultaneously use my right hand to do an upset punch into the gut. From there my left hand is in a good position to grab behind the attackers head and my right could come up to grab too. If the upset punch worked, hopefully they'll already be bending double in which case I'll drive my knee upwards to the chest while pulling them down. From there downward elbow on the back or maybe something else depending on what positions we're in. Between the upset punch and grabbing the back of the head there's the opportunity to do my own roundhouse punches to their head, elbows, stomp on their feet etc. depending on how they're responding to what I'm doing.

Montana's right though, heights and weights are going to effect what you can do. What I said above will work for someone shorter or same height but I'd probably have to take a different approach for someone taller.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lit-arate wrote:
Quote:
There is no "best technique" for any given attack.

Quote:
For a Shindokanist, the varied possibilities are numerous to say the least.

Obviously. So, what would be an example of your response?

Sorry, but I thought I had already answered this in my first post.

Jay
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straight Lead or Finger Jab. Try to intercept.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay wrote:

Try taping a piece of paper to a string and hanging that from a door. Try to break the paper with a finger jab. I guarantee it will help your velocity.

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterPain wrote:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcyRPAQRMo0

Basically this without the knife.

This, only instead of the simultaneous strike, we'd just do two of the blocks at the same time (the other hand wouldn't be hitting anything, but would be there to provide the balance to strengthen your body and make your block stronger and more immovable). And if you do it so that your block hits into the soft part of their upper arm right above the inside of the elbow, it can be really painful for them. And the fun part is, you don't have to even do it that hard. If you make your arms strong, the harder they try to hit you with that roundhouse punch, the more it'll hurt them with no extra effort on your part-- they're driving their own arm into your block.

conrad665
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate, Ashihara Karate, Judo, Iaido

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I do Shotokan and when sb attacks me with any kind of punches, I usually react with a side thrust kick, which works quite good. Kizami-zuki are easy to run away towards right or left. I prefer this rather than blocking, because I may be hit by gyaku-zuki if I just block. For roundhouse kicks, I use my both hands to block it and usually do an uraken afterwards. For maegeri, I try to do tai-sabaki but usually perform otoshi uke unintentionally, then a gyaku-zuki.
I'm simply caught by all rear kicks and cannot breathe for some minutes esp. when my instructors do it.
I also do side kick when sb tries ashi-barai on me. Not every time, though.

Jay
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterPain wrote:
Jay wrote:

Try taping a piece of paper to a string and hanging that from a door. Try to break the paper with a finger jab. I guarantee it will help your velocity.

Nice Tip

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to assume a right straight, stepping forward with the left leg. That puts the attack at 11:00 and attacker's lead foot at 1:00. My personal flinch reaction tends to be to step back with one foot and drop into an evasion, which is basically going to look like a wide side stance, or rather, a somewhat horse-ish position turned to the side with them off my right side, my torso leaning over my back leg and my arm covering my ribs and face. I'll continue the momentum and twist around to look at them over my back, and turn it into a spinning kick movement, but i'm probably not going to actually kick them.. rather, i'm spin-kicking my foot into the ground right beside their lead foot and shifting my weight onto it rapidly. Keep the hands up, obviously, because they're probably trying something else through this.. Step through behind their body with the other (my right) foot, sinking down. As part of this entry, my arm is coming across. Probably my palm is somewhere vaguely near their groin and my elbow is in their abdomen; these are just nice gimmes if they happen to go my way. My other hand is guarding my face. Now turn right to a forward stance, which should roll them over my right knee with my elbow. Once again, potential bonus of a backfist into the face. Left leg comes over to chamber for shin kick to the face as needed, or if I decide to fall onto him and roll off him as my footwork.

Is it going to actually go that way? Meh, they may or may not move to make something different happen, i'll figure that out when I get there.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say exactly what all TKD would do; undoubtedly, DWx would probably have some different responses than I would. What I would probably do and teach, though, is to raise the left hand to cover while closing the gap, and deliver a straight right to whatever target is available as the punch is absorbed on the arm.

By stepping inside the strike, I can kill some of the power of it, and put myself into a better position. Straight punch to the solar plexus, or palm strike (or punch if comfortable) to the head. A palm could drive nicely into the chin, which can then be used to gain control of the head, in turn controlling the body. Try to drive them to the ground.

This technique would be very similar to our first white belt one-step; Step forward front stance to left high block, followed by a right palm strike to the chin, followed by a right punch to the solar plexus. I just augment the high block to the cover. If you are able to step in close enough (and they are stepping, too), you can use your forward stepping leg to disrupt or hopefully destroy their balance in the process.

This is just a side note from watching the two videos in the OP, but I didn't like the "cover out," especially crossing the feet. I'd rather assess from where I finish, and if I've already got the distance closed, I don't want to move myself out of position if the fight continues. The only way I'm going to back out is if I plan on leaving the scene to get to safety entirely. It's just a little thing, but I think it can make a difference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: