Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More than ever, being able to "Share the journey" here on karate forums has become more important in these uncertain times;

thank you Patrick for this opportunity and to those that have contributed greatly in this way.

From beginners to advanced learning and sharing and to continue to move forward and progress through the good times and bad is a great opportunity towards becoming someone that can still grow, in spite of the difficulties ahead.

Never forgetting that the martial arts "way" is never going to be the easy life but overcoming disappointments and difficulties ahead adds great significance for us all that continues to advance through harder times than ever thought possible.

Life is a test, getting a promotion is a test, win lose or draw is a test, no matter who, what, when, where or how, attitude, desire, dedication and determination are very important factor to consider when training to master one's self.

Wishing you always to have great health and also to be strong in your entire future endeavors.

RW
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
More than ever, being able to "Share the journey" here on karate forums has become more important in these uncertain times;

thank you Patrick for this opportunity and to those that have contributed greatly in this way.

From beginners to advanced learning and sharing and to continue to move forward and progress through the good times and bad is a great opportunity towards becoming someone that can still grow, in spite of the difficulties ahead.

Never forgetting that the martial arts "way" is never going to be the easy life but overcoming disappointments and difficulties ahead adds great significance for us all that continues to advance through harder times than ever thought possible.

Life is a test, getting a promotion is a test, win lose or draw is a test, no matter who, what, when, where or how, attitude, desire, dedication and determination are very important factor to consider when training to master one's self.

Wishing you always to have great health and also to be strong in your entire future endeavors.

This message spoke to me.

I usually hate internet message boards. There is so much hostility and trolling.

You guys are such a nice, civilized, and mature (yet friendly) community. And most important to me, you make me feel comfortable enough to ask the martial arts questions I don't trust anyone enough in real life to ask (e.g. like how I dislike some schools that teach made up kata).

Funny story, I found this place years ago out of pure chance. I forgot what I wanted to ask, but I assumed that "there must be an online forum (now called message boards!) for karate... a... karate forum? let me enter that as a URL!)

I've been able to share my martial arts journey in a way with all of you, and that is something quite special.

How did karateforums.com start, anyway? It must be such an intertesting story.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the time being while I fight Prostate Cancer, I've decided to turn my dojo over to my most Senior Dan Student. Having slowly reopened my dojo during this Covid-19 pandemic, we've all gone through some classes on how to better protect all concerned whenever they come into either my dojo and/or my retail store.

I purchased four sanitizer fogger machines, which we use before and after each class. We've spaced the classes so that there's 30 minutes between classes for sanitizing the dojo. The foggers sanitize all contact areas imaginable.

So, 2 foggers for the dojo, 1 for the restroom areas, and 1 for my retail store.

We've temporarily closed both the men's and women's locker rooms. However, within those locker rooms the restrooms area are still open. I'm big time OCD whenever it comes to being clean, so I believe that we'll be protected during this pandemic.

All coming into either business are screened for their temperatures. Anyone with temperatures above 100.4 are instructed to go home, and we hold up a list and we ask them if any of these pertain to them at all...any yes, they are instructed to go home. Yes, I've 2 instructors manning the doors of the dojo and 1 at my retail store for this process.

All entering must wear a mask at all times; no mask...no entry. I do have masks to provide should they not have a mask. Those in class do not have to wear a mask, except myself and my instructors while teaching/assisting.

While I'm not on the floor right now, I still walk around the dojo wherever necessary. I'm mainly now in my retail store. I've got to be extra careful right now because my doctors advise me that while I'm fighting this cancer, and it has spread, my bone MIGHT become brittle. I WILL WIN THIS FIGHT, God willing!!

Well, that's what we do to protect our students and everyone else concerned during this pandemic!!

Please be safe!!

Train hard and train well!!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RW wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:

This message spoke to me.

I usually hate internet message boards. There is so much hostility and trolling.

You guys are such a nice, civilized, and mature (yet friendly) community. And most important to me, you make me feel comfortable enough to ask the martial arts questions I don't trust anyone enough in real life to ask (e.g. like how I dislike some schools that teach made up kata).

Funny story, I found this place years ago out of pure chance. I forgot what I wanted to ask, but I assumed that "there must be an online forum (now called message boards!) for karate... a... karate forum? let me enter that as a URL!)

I've been able to share my martial arts journey in a way with all of you, and that is something quite special.

To the bold type...

That question I believe would be best answered by KF's Founder and Administrator, Patrick.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
For the time being while I fight Prostate Cancer, I've decided to turn my dojo over to my most Senior Dan Student. Having slowly reopened my dojo during this Covid-19 pandemic, we've all gone through some classes on how to better protect all concerned whenever they come into either my dojo and/or my retail store.

I purchased four sanitizer fogger machines, which we use before and after each class. We've spaced the classes so that there's 30 minutes between classes for sanitizing the dojo. The foggers sanitize all contact areas imaginable.

So, 2 foggers for the dojo, 1 for the restroom areas, and 1 for my retail store.

We've temporarily closed both the men's and women's locker rooms. However, within those locker rooms the restrooms area are still open. I'm big time OCD whenever it comes to being clean, so I believe that we'll be protected during this pandemic.

All coming into either business are screened for their temperatures. Anyone with temperatures above 100.4 are instructed to go home, and we hold up a list and we ask them if any of these pertain to them at all...any yes, they are instructed to go home. Yes, I've 2 instructors manning the doors of the dojo and 1 at my retail store for this process.

All entering must wear a mask at all times; no mask...no entry. I do have masks to provide should they not have a mask. Those in class do not have to wear a mask, except myself and my instructors while teaching/assisting.

While I'm not on the floor right now, I still walk around the dojo wherever necessary. I'm mainly now in my retail store. I've got to be extra careful right now because my doctors advise me that while I'm fighting this cancer, and it has spread, my bone MIGHT become brittle. I WILL WIN THIS FIGHT, God willing!!

Well, that's what we do to protect our students and everyone else concerned during this pandemic!!

Please be safe!!

Sounds like you are running a tight ship.

The mask one I debate back and forth. Non-students like parents must wear one if they are to stay and watch (they are only allowed to observe if there is a specific need). The original WHO guidance was not to wear a masks during sport as sweat would make it wet increasing the growth of bacteria: https://youtu.be/1_AxGswGnno

I also think, especially with the kids, it encourages them to touch their face more as they'll be constantly fiddling with the mask.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So nice to hear that this could be a meaningful place for you during this time, Alan and RW. That means a lot. Our community is full of thoughtful people, like you, and it shows.

RW wrote:

RW, the really short version is that, back in early 2001, I was thinking up ideas for websites, came across this name, had a friend (still my friend) who was into the martial arts, he thought it was a good idea, and so I did it. From there, it's just a lot of day in, day out attention to keep things rolling forward in a friendly, respectful, productive way.

Thanks again,

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick wrote:
So nice to hear that this could be a meaningful place for you during this time, Alan and RW. That means a lot. Our community is full of thoughtful people, like you, and it shows.

RW wrote:

RW, the really short version is that, back in early 2001, I was thinking up ideas for websites, came across this name, had a friend (still my friend) who was into the martial arts, he thought it was a good idea, and so I did it. From there, it's just a lot of day in, day out attention to keep things rolling forward in a friendly, respectful, productive way.

Thanks again,

Patrick
Patrick, that's like, the "short, short version" from Spaceballs!

RW
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick wrote:

RW wrote:

Thanks again,

Patrick

os!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

Please be safe!!

Sounds like you are running a tight ship.

The mask one I debate back and forth. Non-students like parents must wear one if they are to stay and watch (they are only allowed to observe if there is a specific need). The original WHO guidance was not to wear a masks during sport as sweat would make it wet increasing the growth of bacteria: https://youtu.be/1_AxGswGnno

I also think, especially with the kids, it encourages them to touch their face more as they'll be constantly fiddling with the mask.

Yeah, it's a tad tight.

Masks OFF the floor, except my instructors and myself...Masks ON anywhere else. If anyone claims medical reasons why they can't wear a mask inside, I ask them to wait outside, and if a parent doesn't want to wait outside, then the parent AND their son/daughter can both wait outside.

Anyone under 9 years of age, don't have to wear a mask per our Governor.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Patrick, that's like, the "short, short version" from Spaceballs!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: