Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Profacci
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Kyokushin KaiKan

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dijita is a girl? Wow, learn something new everyday. Hey, do any of you guys know where to find a decent dojo directory either by state or city? I have a friend who is looking for a WC Dojo. On another note, what is the difference w=between AK and CK (Chinese Kenpo)?

TheDevilAside
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: American Kenpo

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.maschools.com is a good one if you're in the US. I'm not really sure what the difference between Chinese Kenpo and American Kenpo is, you might want to start a "Chinese vs. American Kenpo" thread.

cymry
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: BJJ, freestyle wrestling

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be worried if I had to fight a Kyokushin guy. I'd also be worried about the effect all that hard training would have on his body

yamesu
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin. MT. Arnis. Judo. JediMantre.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well....................................................

Kyokushin is definantly a killer style of MA, but no-one can say its the best, the spirit of OSU carries that message.
As for being an 'incomplete art'..............hahaha, i scoff at that, Kyokushin contains the MOST information, training regeims, techs of almost any MA ive ever trained. Blitz Magazine refered to Kyokushin as 'quite possibly the most complete martial art in existance.'

How long have you been doing Kyokushin? Here is some of Mas Oyamas inspirations(mottos);

"The nature and purpose of the Martial Way is universal. All selfish desires should be roasted in the tempering fires of hard training"
(Be selfless, your no better than me cause you train this or that.)

"Always remember: In Martial Arts the rewards of a confident and grateful heart are truly abundant"
(feel compassion for others, not contempt.)

"In Martial Arts, introspection begets wisdom. Always see contemplation of your actions as an opportunity to improve"
(Think about what your doing before you do it.)

Kyokushin IS brutal, but im sick of people bagging it mearly because of the minority of people training it develope mass egos. (roast that ego with hard training!!!)

OSU.

Muaythaiboxer
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: teakwondo judo muaythai boxing wresling kung-fu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have not yet had the pleasure to train with or spar any kyokushin fighters but my personal thoughts are that kyokushin is a great style. however i have questions about the KK4 MT1 where these american thai fighters or guys from thailand?

Kaminari
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Seito Shito-Ryu Karate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had the chance, I would most definitely choose Kyokushin over my current style, but there are no schools in my area. Also, (not to bash KK or anything) not all martial artists who train hard win. I've seen a Judo (or Jujitsu, I can't remember) practitioner defend himself against ten other martial artists at the same time. Yes, training hard can be and very often is a great way to train, but not the only effective way.

Muaythaiboxer
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: teakwondo judo muaythai boxing wresling kung-fu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

training is not the only effective way to train?

what do you mean?

Drag'n
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Daidojuku/Kudo ,Muay Thai, TKD.......

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know where you got your KK training Profacci but it sounds somewhat different to what I've done here in Japan.
For a start, shin pads are worn for sparring.Even with conditioned shins constant contact 3-5 days a week is gonna cause injuries and prevent you from training.Unless your just going light contact.
We trained hard but we weren't stupid about it.
The sparring was always kyokushin rules.No hand strikes to the the head.
We never practised defences or counters for head punches.
We never did throws as grabbing isn't allowed under kyokushin rules.
In fact I found the training to be very much competition oriented and lacking in street self defence.
We practised kata but Bunkai wasn't taught.
Although footwork is used the mentality is very much one of using force against force. Not so good if your opponent is more powerfull than you.
I understand your passion for KK.I was once the same.
But if there are differences in the training methods between 2 KK schools then no doubt there are differences between 2 Guju schools or 2 shotokan schools.There are alot of bad dojos out there.Dont let a few poor dojos decide your view of other styles.
Then there is Kempo too.I sometimes train with some Ryuku Kempo guys who make Kyokushin training seem like an easy day.
I have much respect for Kyokushin fighters.They are as tough as nails.
But I've faced some really tough fighters from other arts too.
Keep an open mind.

Ashigeru
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kyokushinkai, Akijutsu, TKD, kempo, kenjutsu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are always differences from school to school.
My School trained hard with a emphasis on the street. But we also trained hard on the other aspects (i.e. kata, meditation, body hardening, non-contact, full-contact, falls, kihon, and more kihon). We also practiced without pads-full contact. Bunkai was taught in Q&A sessions, or when someones curiousity got the better of them.

It was not uncommon for me to see other Kyokushin students from other schools lose to us in tournaments, have less discipline, and sloppy kata. I used to wonder how that could be. I figured that we were all in the same style, so our training must be the same. Obviously not.

My point is that it is not neccessarily the style, as much as the instructor and student. The style is merely the structure. It is up to the karateka (whethter Sensei, or student) to train appropriately.
I have studied several styles of MA (none of which pushed me as hard as Kyokushinkai), but that doesn't mean that they are any better-or worse than Kyokushinkai (I have seen other Kyukushinkai school members (from other schools) flap their arms in imitation of kata. Floundering their way to Shodan without knowing what the moves mean. I was disgusted. I was also disgusted to find that they passed!)
My Sensei always uses these words at the end of each class -- "PRACTICE! OSU!"
These words defined our school and many others--not neccessarily all Kyukushin schools. There are always bad apples in every barrel.

Infrazael
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Choy Lay Fut kung fu, MMA (boxing, muay thai, submission wrestling)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt most KK schools train as hard as most Muay Thai schools, but some will argue with me.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10
Jump to: