Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Dark Shogun
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Okinawan Goju Ryu karate, Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu iaido, Shinto Muso Ryu Jodo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point tournaments are not Shotokan per-se, however, Shotokan seems to be most suited to point tournaments because (IMHO) they practice more point kimite and work more on making their kata look good rather than understanding the bunkai(application). You get all sorts in point tournaments like TKD and Kung Fu sometimes.

Also, the outlines I have given about Goju Ryu, Shotokan, Shito Ryu and Shukokai above do not nessarily hold true for all dojo. Some may be quite different.

For example, I once visited a Shito Ryu club that trained twice a week, one session point kimite and the other competition kata.

As for Goju Ryu in point tournaments, some Goju Ryu clubs do this but I don't think they put much stock in it. There is a style call Goju Kai which branched off from Goju Ryu. They may do more point kimite, however, I did visit a Goju Kai dojo once and they seemed very application based.

So, you can't always judge a dojo by the name of it's style.

y2_sub
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Officially switched to boxing , formally kyokushin karate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.. thats true, even belts order may varry from one dojo to another , that depends on the personallity of the instructor ..

grav3h3art
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol! did Kyokushin Karate and Muay Thai/Kick boxing in my teen years

they were the base of my stand up game

masterphoenix
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Kyokushin vs Other Karate Styles. Cold Hard Facts!!!!! Reply with quote

Interesting post. I think a lot of people would benefit from having options about the intensity of training.

yamesu
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin. MT. Arnis. Judo. JediMantre.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to *bump* this to say - Three letters...

G...S...P

kamahlthedruid
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Systema

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen IOGKF goju ryu people spar in a realistic manner called irikumi go and the sparring includes takedowns, multiple opponents, and submissions.

Groinstrike
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Krav Maga, Jeet Kune Do, BJJ M

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yamesu wrote:

G...S...P

I will agree with you that George St. Pierre is an amazing athlete and an amazing martial artist, his techniques have been geared towards a sports competition. Due to this he is focusing on certain techniques that may not be totally advisable in a combative situation i.e. a double leg takedown if your are not a law enforcement officer. Therefore im not sure that GSP should be involved in the discussion of the combative effectivness of an art. Just my opinion

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSP is just flat out a great athlete. He'd likely be the posterboy of effectiveness in any atlletic endeavor he partook in. I think he either tried out for the Canadian Olympic Wrestling team, or was going to but could not due to other committments. The man is a great athlete. Taking one extreme, a guy like GSP, and then comparing him as the Kyokushin prototype to the more run-of-the-mill types like myself, that try to get in two days a week of TKD, along with working a full time job and raising a family.....well, I'm not likely to measure up to GSP.

Soheir
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kyokushin karate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
comparing him as the Kyokushin prototype to the more run-of-the-mill types

He has practised so much other styles. he has said he doesn't use kyokushin techniques really in MMA, but the most he got from it was the attitude.
“One reason so few of us achieve what we truly want is that we never direct our focus; we never concentrate our power. Most people dabble their way through life, never deciding to master anything in particular.” -Anthony Robbins

MMA_Jim
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: BJJ, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Groinstrike wrote:
yamesu wrote:

G...S...P

I will agree with you that George St. Pierre is an amazing athlete and an amazing martial artist, his techniques have been geared towards a sports competition. Due to this he is focusing on certain techniques that may not be totally advisable in a combative situation i.e. a double leg takedown if your are not a law enforcement officer. Therefore im not sure that GSP should be involved in the discussion of the combative effectivness of an art. Just my opinion

Because GSP suddenly becomes an incompetent fighter when you're allowed to kick him in the groin or gouge his eyes...

There are groin strikes and eye gouges in all fighting styles. BJJ, muay thai, judo- they've all got their "deadly" techniques. The difference between these sport styles and other "combat" styles is that the sport ones have shown their versatility. They dont have to rely on a particular technique or set of rules. They've proven to be able to adapt to numerous situations, which is of far greater benefit for combat effectiveness than relying on an eye gouge or groin strike. If you're style relies too heavily on one thing (i.e. if I can kick to the groin I cant win a fight) then you're not going to have much success with it.

Interesting you bring up a law enforcement officer- a double leg takedown is one of the best things they could learn. They have to take someone down most of the time to restrain them and arrest them. If you dont know how to sprawl, double leg takedown works easy. Once on the ground on your back, if you dont know jiu jitsu you're in trouble.

I know plenty of people in law enforcement- grappling is the best thing they can learn. Sprawls save lives, and double leg takedowns work exceptionally well when someone doesnt want to be arrested.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10
Jump to: