Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Mayweather McGregor fight is official for August 26th Reply with quote

After months of going back and forth, it's official, Floyd Mayweather will fight Connor McGregor on August 26th in Vegas.

https://sports.yahoo.com/floyd-mayweather-conor-mcgregor-fight-finalized-aug-26-205101486.html

The fight will be a boxing match at 154 lbs.

Mayweather is currently 49-0 wins in his professional boxing career with McGregor 21-3 in his professional MMA career.

Fight predictions? Surely McGregor can't win this one?

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be interesting. I think Mayweather will win.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

mazzybear
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Wado Kai

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stranger things have happened. Mayweather has to be red hot favourite but, you can never write of McGregor off. I'm not a fan of either tbh but, could definitely be worth a watch, depending on how much they'll want for PPV.

Mo.

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it will come down to who walks into the ring with the right strategy, and the best defence.

McGregor is a very mobile fighter; who is very hard to pin down, and is a hard hitter for his weight. Mayweather has a solid defence, and knows how to shut down an opponent's offence, and also has proven knock-out power and indeed is one of Boxing's great knock out artists. Now, Mayweather is the significantly older fighter, and has not secured a knockout since 2011, while McGregor continues to finish fighters regularly and also has a reach advantage of two inches; enough to make a difference when it comes to the knock-out game.

I think it should be a more interesting bout than some have been predicting, myself included, with some of the comments made by established boxers who have trained with McGregor. I still give the win to Mayweather, but I am also optimistic McGregor might in fact survive the distance.

A Rarely Used Blog:
An Uncertain Path

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel the same Wado.

I am hoping McGregor wins, because he is the underdog. He does have youth on his side, and if he has been training BOXING really hard for the entire time he has been running his mouth, he might have a chance.
Despite Mayweather's age, it is still hard to overcome a lifetime boxer. I expect he has been training hard because he has more to lose in this fight than McGregor.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot believe that they ran with this!

It will be a huge payday for both fighters. I don't think it helps MMA as a sport though.

Mayweather wins this hands down. It's a boxing match. There's no way that even an MMA striker of McGregor's skill set can hang with him in this setting. Add takedowns and kicks you might have a different story but there's just too much specific ruleset that favors the boxer.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to see if McGregor attempts a takedown or kick out of reflex.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be an interesting fight to see, considering Mayweather definitely has the Boxing Experience over McGregor.

I see McGregor having potential issues just using his hands and no other body part.

If he [McGregor] wins, I feel like Mayweather will probably call that someone cheated or the match was fixed.

pinklady6000
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: wrestling, shinkicking, jkd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

magregor has the superior boxing skills in the mma, and that is the edge has over his competitors in the mma because the majority are wrestlers/graplers/bjj affectionardos.
for a wave of time the grappling arts was thought to be superior to the stiking arts, driven by the success of the graces in ufc. the striking arts are making a come back though, with holly holm, amanda neunes, magregor, wonderboy, etc.

magregor will lose against mayweather though, not even manny pacqiuo could lay a finger on him and he was fast as a duck.

pink

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most elite martial artists who compete in Mixed Martial Arts usually cross train in a way that isolates particular skills. When practising boxing; you have to box. When practising your jujutsu and wrestling game; you grapple and you wrestle. I do not believe McGregor is in any danger of accidentally reverting to his free-fighting skills during the match; though, there is always a difference between sparring and a competitive match. In the heat of the moment, or a moment of punch-drunkenness, then maybe McGregor might try a manoeuvre illegal in boxing, but I doubt it will prove a real problem.

Honestly; if it was under shoot-boxing rules the I think it could have been an interesting bout. McGregor would not be so disarmed as he is, but he could not avoid having to face down Mayweather's boxing skills.

A Rarely Used Blog:
An Uncertain Path
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: