Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not heard of M.Scott Peck but have read Dr Wayne Dyer and Maxwell Matz as well as listened to many motivational speakers

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

Kickbutt
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-02-11 15:01, YODA wrote:
On a similar thought - anyone read any of M.Scott Peck's books?

One of the most amazing books I've ever read was 'The road less travelled', YODA...a brilliant and eye-opening read. It was life changing for me... . Lori

-Unknown-

YODA
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kickbutt

You should try his follow ups - "Further along the road less travelled" & "The road less travelled & beyond".

I would also recommend "The Different Drum" - here's teh "blurb"...

"Attempts to challenge mankind to achieve wholeness through the experience of shared community. The author describes how communities should work and suggests the first steps towards spiritual survival."

Susan Jeffers is also a favourite of mine.

Qualified Fitness Instructor (Weights, CV, Circuit, Kinesiology)

Hapkidodude
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know about "religion" , but I have to say that I feel at my spiritual height when training. Sometimes it feels as though training martial arts is what God meant for me to do. I know it may sound corny, but I cant deny the feeling. I dont go to church much anymore , but my spirtuality is stronger than ever. Maybe this feeling is what inspired the masters from way back.

The Hand is quicker than the eye!

Aikidoka
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tomiki Aikido

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To quote Fritjof Capra in his book 'The Tao of Physics':
"Although the various schools of Eastern mysticism differ in many details, they all emphasize the basic unity of the universe which is the central feature of their teachings. The highest aim for their followers - whether they are Hidhus, Buddhists or Taoists - is to become aware of the unity and mutual interrelation of all things, to transcend the notion of an isolated individual self and to identify themselves with the ultimate reality. The emergence of this awareness - known as 'enlightenment' - is not only and intellectual act but is an experience which involves the whole person and is religious in its ultimate nature. For this reason, most Eastern philosophies are essentially religious philosophies."

IMHO:
One dimension of the martial arts is the realisation and expression of the unity of mind and body, so it is possible to use martial arts training for spiritual ends. Therefore I believe that while religion should never be forced onto an exponent of the martial arts by their teacher, there are links between martial training and religion/spirituallity. I think there is justification for people to practise martial arts for other reasons than to learn to fight.

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did the Universe come from?

Easternism never answers that

[ This Message was edited by: AnonymousOne on 2002-02-12 05:47 ]

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the Hindu religion,with its cycles of birth, destruction and rebirth, probably comes closest to describing the way our universe began and predicting how it will end. Respected researchers in all sorts of fields ... astronomy, physics, biology and chemistry ... share this view that Eastern philosophy may hold the answers to the creation of the universe.

Aikidoka
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tomiki Aikido

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Where did the Universe come from?
Easternism never answers that"

No one answers that.

Western science is unable to say where the universe came from because it is impossible to take an objective and detached view of something you are a part of. The study of quantum physics has revealed that the classical Newtonian ideal of an objective study of existence is impossible and the observer always has to be taken into account during an experiment.

The idea of something beyond or before the universe is nonsensicle, as the universe is *all encompassing*; hence 'uni' - meaning 'one'. Also, theories of space-time relativity have shown that time is neither linear nor constant, and therefore the idea of something 'before' the universe is incomprehensible.

If anything, as KickChick says, Western science is drawing ever nearer to agreement with Eastern religions such as Buddhism and Hinduism with the concept that the universe is cyclical going from Big Bang to Big Crunch and back again.

[CT]pizzaboy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: blue-belt taekwondo/green belt Yoshukai

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wise sage has spoken. Do not resist or you shall be struck by lighting. Either Aikidoka is very smart or he's copying and pasting the info.

When we discuss the origin of the universe we're diving really deep into philoshopy. If there's one universe, can there be others out there? What is real "reality"? Should reality be base on science? If so, science saids that the computer you're sitting at is not a solid object, but millions of atoms floating freely in space. Philosophy is the search of truth. What is truth? What is reality?

I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversations.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just replying to AnonymousOne ... and his quote "Where did the Universe come from? Easternism never answers that " ... well, many religions (including Eastern) have attempted along with sciences to answer that question.
God (whoever it may be to you)created the "universe"....
but this is what I believe

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-02-13 09:51 ]
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6
Jump to: