Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely agree with your assessment of cross training. The time I've spent in my DT sessions, and even with my sons at Wrestling practice and tournaments have helped me to immensely understand groundfighting better.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Lee wrote:
pg. 8, paragraph 4: Art reaches its greatest peak when devoid of self-consciousness. Freedom discovers man the moment he loses concern over what impression he is making or about to make.

pg. 8, paragraph 5: The perfect way is only difficult for those who pick and choose. Do not like, do not dislike; all will then be clear. Make a hairbreadth difference and heaven and earth are set apart; if you want the truth to stand clear before you, never be for or against. The struggle between "for" and "against" is the mind's worst disease.

I think these two thoughts run together pretty well, and so am addressing both here. In paragraph 4, I think Lee is talking more about just seeing things as they are, without our personal biases jumping in. In paragraph 5, more of the same; not liking nor disliking. By not applying bias and jumping to conclusions, we can see things for what they truly are, and not what our judgement clouds them to be.

Now, bearing all of Lee's thoughts in mind, I think it is well and good to "philosophy" about these things. But I don't believe it is entirely possible to approach every and all aspects of life in such a way, nor would it be practical to. I do think they are interesting ways to approach things, and are well worth putting into practice.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, paragraph 4 is all about the we just get in our own way; we oftentimes, just can't help ourselves...or don't want to help ourselves.

Paragraph 5 goes back to the saddest truth, and that is...being honest with ourselves is far more difficult, than one might grasp on.

Yin/Yang are in everything.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Lee wrote:
pg. 8, paragraph 6: Wisdom does not consist of trying to wrest the good from the evil but in learning to "ride" them as a cork adapts itself to the crests and troughs of the waves.

pg. 8, paragraph 7: Let yourself go with the disease, be with it, keep company with it - this is the way to be rid of it.

These are interesting. In paragraph 6, I'm not sure what to make of it. I understand the idea of being like a cork on the waves, riding through the crests and the troughs. I find it interesting he chooses to address good and evil here. It seems, to me, he means to have an attitude of neutrality to it, but I'm not for sure. All I can think about is the saying, "evil thrives when good men do nothing."

Paragraph 7 is also interesting. Embracing the disease to be rid of it.

Bruce Lee wrote:
pg. 8, paragraph 9: An assertion is Zen only when it is itself an act and does not refer to anything that is asserted in it.

More confusing Zen stuff, to me.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:47 pm    Post subject: ~ Reply with quote

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.” ~Sun Tzu

"Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer" ~Sun Tzu

I believe that these two Sun Tzu quotes might be a preference of what Bruce was getting at about in page 8, paragraphs 6, 7, and 8. However, like you, Brian, Zen stuff confuses me.

It'd be great if other members here would chime in to this thread.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are great quotes, Bob, and thanks for sharing them. I do need to reread some Sun Tzu, for sure!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Lee wrote:
pg. 8, paragraph 10: In Buddhism, there is no place for using effort. Just be ordinary and nothing special. Eat you food, move your bowels, pass water and when you're tired go and lie down. The ignorant will laugh at me, but the wise will understand.

This is very contradictory to me, as a Westerner, where we learn early on the value of hard work to move forward and upward in life. I don't think Lee himself could have believed in this verbatim, as it was well documented how much and how hard he worked at things.

Bruce Lee wrote:
pg. 8, paragraph 11: Establish nothing in regard to oneself. Pass quickly like the non-existent and be quiet as purity. Those who gain lose. Do not precede others, always follow them

Eh, again, more I have some issues with. I know of plenty who gain and don't lose, and it is not always beneficial to follow other all the time.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Lee wrote:
pg. 9, paragraph 1: Do not run away; let go. Do not seek, for it will come when least expected.

Everything happens in it's own time. It's easy to want to be great "right now," but how much better will be years from now? It's an interesting concept. Train hard, train often, and let what comes, come. However, I don't think this means to train without focus. Instead, I think it has more to do with letting the training bring you what it will, as you focus and work hard.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Lee wrote:
pg. 9, paragraph 2: Give up thinking as though not giving it up. Observe techniques as though not observing.

Hmmm. Observe techniques as though not observing....what do you suppose this means?

To me, to observe means more than just to watch. It's to study, learn, and attempt to understand something. Doing this without preconceived notions is important, especially if one is trying to keep an open mind.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Lee wrote:
Quote:
pg. 9, paragraph 1: Do not run away; let go. Do not seek, for it will come when least expected.

I take this on how one takes a break from a project, no matter what it might be, and then return with fresh eyes. Over thinking does happen with everyone. Same in the MA. We train, and while we're training, we try to perfect whatever it might be, and we try and try with no satisfaction in sight, and our frustration doesn't allow us to see the nose on our own face; it's always been there, but we only see the solution with fresh eyes.

Bruce Lee wrote:
Quote:
pg. 9, paragraph 2: Give up thinking as though not giving it up. Observe techniques as though not observing.

Watching a technique is not the same thing as executing a technique. Like what I do whenever I watch any MA movie, I can't enjoy said MA movie because I'm too busy treating the MA techniques within said MA movie as though it's a Testing Cycle.

To both of these, let it flow, and quite over thinking the darn thing; "I" do not hit, "It" hits all by itself.

We might over think as to why the sun comes out when it does, more than enjoying that the sun came out in the first place.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8
Jump to: