Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
DWx wrote:
Its what NBC are choosing to show as over here, the BBC have been televising the majority of matches and if not, you've been able to watch the live streams online for free. Feel sorry for you guys as it seems you've been missing out on stuff. Even your viewing of the Olympic ceremony got edited down.

FYI its not NBC filming it or anything. The Olympic Broadcasting Services (OBS) are the only people allowed to film and they film absolutely everything. Each territory then has a broadcaster(s) who buys the license giving them the rights to televise it and they can put whatever banners or logos or whatever ontop. Forget the iphones, if NBC aren't showing it, its not because they weren't given the opportunity to have the footage, its because they have chosen not to show it.

I went to the men's +80 kg and women's +65kg repecharges and finals last night. Getting round to posting something on it.

Oooohhhh...I wish I was a mouse in your pocket...I would've loved to have been there...lucky you!!

USA Today, it's a big newspaper in the USA, had a 7 paragraph article with photo in the LONDON 2012 section, section D, page 5, entitled..."Taekwondo replay gives U.S. Bronze". The photo was of American Terrence Jennings; who beat Brazil's Diogo Silva for the Bronze.

The OBS needs to, imho, do a better job covering Judo and TKD, after all, they've both been in the Olympics for some time now...sheech. However, the OBS did cover Fencing quite well. What's one to do?

Sorry Bob, maybe I didn't explain that well enough. The OBS filmed everything: all TKD matches, all Judo matches and all of everything else. Any and every single match or heat or routine at the games gets filmed no matter what sport or what athletes are competing. That video footage then gets sent around the world to the broadcasters who have the license to show it and they can choose to put their own commentary and graphics etc. on top of the raw video before broadcasting to their country. What you see on television is the bits of the OBS filming that your country's olympics license holder wants to show. For you that's NBC, for us Brits it was the BBC. Sorry to hear that you only got to see a few TKD fights but I promise you every single fight was filmed - NBC must have decided there wasn't enough demand to see them so they didn't show it.

Sucks because over here in the UK the BBC (the UK's license holder) gave us the opportunity to watch every single sport live as it was happening, you just needed to select which live stream you wanted. I watched the majority of TKD and Judo matches but didn't watch all simply because there was far too much for me to watch and I haven't had the time. I don't have a job at the moment so have all day to watch and have had several streams open and I still haven't seen everything. Still making my way through it all. That's the other thing, I don't know if NBC are doing or did it but the BBC gave us a catch-up service where we could watch any event that had already happened. So right now I can go and watch the ping-pong from the preliminaries all the way up to the finals if I wanted.

If you didn't see an event on tv, its because NBC chose themselves not to show it. Maybe they didn't think there was enough interest

Thanks Danielle for the needed info, it explained a lot. I need to move when you are.

And to NBC...BAD NBC...just bad...you're grounded...go to your room.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah but on the downside we have to pay a yearly license fee to watch tv, even if you don't intend to watch much BBC.

Are NBC doing your paralympics coverage? We've got another broadcaster doing ours, Channel 4, so should be interesting to see how they compare to what the beeb did.

Dobbersky
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Black Tiger Ashihara Karate Jutsu, Japanese Kickboxing, Cheng Man Ch'ing TaiChi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was sad that I couldn't watch all the matches that were on being in the UK you could watch individual sports. I enjoyed the Judo, but was saddened that punches were NOT counted even though I thought they landed perfectly

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did get to see the gold medal match for women's US Judo. But only saw some TKD on the computer, and what I did see, was not fun to watch at all. A couple of gals continuously kicking each other with the front leg was all I saw. I'm not sure if the guys were any different or not. The hands down just drives me nuts, too.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
I did get to see the gold medal match for women's US Judo. But only saw some TKD on the computer, and what I did see, was not fun to watch at all. A couple of gals continuously kicking each other with the front leg was all I saw. I'm not sure if the guys were any different or not. The hands down just drives me nuts, too.

Hands down annoys me too. But I think its the rules that have done this. Roundhouses count for more points than any other technique so they're done more. Since they score at the sides of the hogu and you don't have to worry too much about other kicks (side-, back- etc.) it's more convenient to just have your hands at the sides to "guard" that area.

brickshooter
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:

I think this is where the rules of the game start to change the martial art into something else. Seems like the Olympic TKD rule book is a work in progress.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brickshooter wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

I think this is where the rules of the game start to change the martial art into something else. Seems like the Olympic TKD rule book is a work in progress.
Yeah, I think they are always looking for ways to make it better, which is good.

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched a Welsh lady win Gold in the TKD in London 2012. And that was it! I must admit I find the Judo more interesting.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harkon72 wrote:
I watched a Welsh lady win Gold in the TKD in London 2012. And that was it! I must admit I find the Judo more interesting.
To be honest, although fun to watch, I didn't find the women's US gold Judo match all that entertaining. I could see how they were working and countering one another, but as far as a fun factor goes, I didn't see that one awesome, clean, Judo toss I was hoping for.

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Japanese Silver medalist had a couple of good Ippons, but yes, I agree it looks quite untidy at times. The Russian and Korean fighters did well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: