Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ulubis Minor wrote:
If I remember correctly, the olympics is run by the WTF and use their rules. So ITF TKD guys might not do the olympics, but probably still do.
The only thing really required to compete in the Olympics is being a member of the WTF. And the hard core North Korean ITFers will not likely ever, ever decide to do that.

A black belt I know in the ATA once competed at the Olympic training center in Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA for TKD competition, and won the Colorado state championship in his weight class. He was I think an ATA 3rd degree at the time, but paid WTF dues so he could compete. I'm sure there are some other requirements that need to be met that I'm not thinking of, black belt rank being one of them, but that's about the extent of it.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Ulubis Minor wrote:
If I remember correctly, the olympics is run by the WTF and use their rules. So ITF TKD guys might not do the olympics, but probably still do.
The only thing really required to compete in the Olympics is being a member of the WTF. And the hard core North Korean ITFers will not likely ever, ever decide to do that.

A black belt I know in the ATA once competed at the Olympic training center in Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA for TKD competition, and won the Colorado state championship in his weight class. He was I think an ATA 3rd degree at the time, but paid WTF dues so he could compete. I'm sure there are some other requirements that need to be met that I'm not thinking of, black belt rank being one of them, but that's about the extent of it.

Yeah that's about it. There's also the issue of reprogramming yourself to fight within the rules. It can be done though. Aaron Cook (who narrowly missed out on making the GB team) was ITF but made the swap and IIRC Jade Jones, our gold medallist used to do TAGB (ITF offshoot) and made the switch. Leading up to the Olympics, British TKD had a programme called Fighting Chance which auditioned fighters from other TKD styles and similar styles like kickboxing to join the squad. A couple of my friends tried out and one got down to the last 20 or so. Didn't go any further though because she couldn't stop sparring "wrong".

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its cool that they provided the opportunity, though. Hopefully we'll see more of that in the future.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: