Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:22 am    Post subject: What belt level is this kick delivery in your opinion? Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbiG8eLgpm0

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say whatever your instructor thinks, having seen in in context, after a minimum of an hour's worth of constant action as found in a grading, where he can see how it fits with other techniques and when fatigued.

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneKickWonder wrote:
I'd say whatever your instructor thinks, having seen in in context, after a minimum of an hour's worth of constant action as found in a grading, where he can see how it fits with other techniques and when fatigued.

I don't train anymore. What level is this at your club? By that I mean relative to students who throw head kicks, what belt level would this be at?

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the key point here is that there is no such thing as a grade for one kick. At least not that I've ever heard of.

Your grade represents what your instructors think of your general martial development. It's so much more than technique. It is attitude, spirit, physical ability and so much more. Techniques are just a training tool.

shortyafter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kyokushinkai, Shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneKickWonder wrote:
I think the key point here is that there is no such thing as a grade for one kick. At least not that I've ever heard of.

Your grade represents what your instructors think of your general martial development. It's so much more than technique. It is attitude, spirit, physical ability and so much more. Techniques are just a training tool.

Just wanted to give a big +1 to this post. Spot on.

Kusotare
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Traditional Japanese Karate, Koryu Bujutsu (Jujutsu, Iaido and Kenjutsu)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The clip is very short and fast, but from what I can see, technically the kick needs some work IMO.

Regardless of height, there is something unstable about the kick.

If I freeze frame it just after the kicks lands - your chest is pointing towards the floor.

Combatively, this is not a good position to be in, but also it suggests the timing and core muscle rotation is out of alignment.

As a rule of thumb, I teach my students to look over the front of their lead shoulder as they kick (mae-geri, mawashi-geri and yoko-geri), not the their back, which is what you are doing.

Keep training though, it will come.

K.

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kusotare wrote:
The clip is very short and fast, but from what I can see, technically the kick needs some work IMO.

If I freeze frame it just after the kicks lands - your chest is pointing towards the floor.

Combatively, this is not a good position to be in, but also it suggests the timing and core muscle rotation is out of alignment.

As a rule of thumb, I teach my students to look over the front of their lead shoulder as they kick (mae-geri, mawashi-geri and yoko-geri), not the their back, which is what you are doing.

K.

Yes but the problem is that what people prescribe as mistakes or missunderstandings, is 9 times out of 10 just my own physical attributes, and employing them to the best of my abilities. I don't think I could ever make a major revision to my technique, even if I wanted to. It's not like a punch. I can kick faster, harder, but mechanical modifications are way harder, if you aren't naturally flexible.

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also note that when I kick targets it's technically different from doing kata kicks.

See here
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wMQ5lzK6YAM

Two completely different kicks mechanically

P.A.L
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin-ryu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prototype wrote:
Also note that when I kick targets it's technically different from doing kata kicks.

See here
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wMQ5lzK6YAM

Two completely different kicks mechanically

I put it at top 40% among Korean arts kickers but it was more interesting if you would have done it slower or with a moment of locking the technique. a hold would show the strength which comes with time and training. if this kick , is the best you can do and you don't have any major physical limitation, I can only say you are above 6 months practicing either at home or a club.

I have two questions for you :
1- can you open your legs 180. if you can NOT then is it a physical limitation or you need more training time?

2-can you stay in Shiko dachi for 2 minutes ? if NOT, is it a physical limitation or you need more training time?

Kusotare
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Traditional Japanese Karate, Koryu Bujutsu (Jujutsu, Iaido and Kenjutsu)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prototype wrote:
Kusotare wrote:

K.

Yes but the problem is that what people prescribe as mistakes or missunderstandings, is 9 times out of 10 just my own physical attributes, and employing them to the best of my abilities. I don't think I could ever make a major revision to my technique, even if I wanted to. It's not like a punch. I can kick faster, harder, but mechanical modifications are way harder, if you aren't naturally flexible.

There is a school of thought that says if you can't kick head correctly (albeit due to your own physiological limitations) - then don't kick head!

Your second vid was definitely better - although I'm not a fan of counter torqueing the lead hand guard (I know some croups do this and I have heard arguments for and against).

K.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: