Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the first video of your kick, your rechamber was in the wrong place. It looked like you threw a round kick, and then rechambered it like a side kick with the foot in the wrong position (this was because you were kicking with the top of your foot). Your speed was good, faster than I can kick. But if you can't control it, then you need to slow down and work on technique and muscle control until you get the kick right. If you kick like that and miss, it puts you in a bad position to try to recover from.

The kick to the bag was definitely better. But the kick in the air I don't think I'd let slide as an instructor. I'd take the time to work on fixing that part of it.

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
In the first video of your kick, your rechamber was in the wrong place. It looked like you threw a round kick, and then rechambered it like a side kick with the foot in the wrong position (this was because you were kicking with the top of your foot). Your speed was good, faster than I can kick. But if you can't control it, then you need to slow down and work on technique and muscle control until you get the kick right. If you kick like that and miss, it puts you in a bad position to try to recover from.

The kick to the bag was definitely better. But the kick in the air I don't think I'd let slide as an instructor. I'd take the time to work on fixing that part of it.

But why is my rechamber important? I can't rechamber any other way due to stiffness.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can kick that high, then I don't understand where the stiffness is coming in at. It could be more like you haven't trained your body to pull the leg back from that speed, and therefore you out-kick you ability to rechamber it, so to speak.

Rechamber is important so that you are putting your body in a position of control after kicking. Most of our kicks have the same chamber and rechamber positions, based on the kick being done. Whether that is right or wrong could be a topic for discussion, but lets just pretend that for the time being we want our chamber and rechamber positions to be the same.

If you want to throw a second round kick after that one, you are going to be hard pressed to do so from the position you end in. Your better option is a side kick, but unfortunately, due to that rechamber position, its about your only option without re-aligning your body to kick again. I'd say your best follow-up technique from there would be to go into a spinning technique of some kind with the other leg. That is not a bad follow-up, but once someone notices that its the only follow-up, you become easy to set up.

Again, I don't believe stiffness is your issue. I'm pretty stiff myself these days, but I don't have issues with my rechambers. And when I try to slow it down a little, and stop the video as you start the kick, you aren't so stiff that you can't chamber it properly. If you can chamber properly, you can rechamber properly. Your main problem is you are over-rotating a bit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: