Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

AndrewGreen
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Crazy Penguin Ninjitsu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UFC is not reality, NO ONE will say it is. But it and similar events are as close as we can get in a competitive environment.

In training more things can be tested, but not in competition as it isn't safe.

But it is a test, a very good one at that, of what works and what doesn't work when two trained people fight.

Would you want to test pilot a airplane that had never been run through simulations or in a air tunnel. Or one that had passed every test possible so far.

Now the two planes don't really resemble each other either. I know which one I;m getting in. The one that has been tested as much as possible prior to me doing it for real.

Those tests aren't "real" but they are close and all we got.

Andrew Green
http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

AndrewGreen
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warp Spider wrote:
Tibby wrote:
Last I checked, a “Paladin” was a holy knight which is obsolete in every aspect of live except RPGs. Where did you get your black belt, Wizards of the Coast?

Actually the martial art I practice has nothing to do with dungeons and dragons, thank you very much.

The attitudes of the western world may have changed, but that doesn't mean that the Lord's work is done. And it shall be done!

PS My art has no belts. Belt are of little use in smiting the unholy, unless weighted at one end or covered in razor blades.

Why aren't you on a RPG forum? Why a martial arts one?

Oh well, sit tight the men in white coats will be there shortly...

Do you even now what a Paladin in a historical sense (not D&D fantasy) was?

Andrew Green

JohnnyS
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: BJJ, Shootfighting, TKD, Goju

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The great thing about MMA is that it does allow the testing of techniques and strategies in an environment where you aren't going to get killed if you blow it (since you can tap, the ref can step in or your corner can throw in the towel).

There are things that MMA doesn't allow for e.g. clothes, fight psychology, how to kick the fight off etc. However these things can be tested and trained in a realistic manner also (see Geoff Thompson's videos with some of his training methodologies).

If you can get something to work in a MMA match then you can certainly get it to work in a streetfight. You'll definitely have an edge since you're used to the pressure, used to thinking while under attack, you're fit and you know what works from having done it in competition and training. There are some techniques that won't work in a MMA match that will work in a fight, and these things should not be neglected if you're interested in self-defence e.g. techniques that use clothes, sucker punches etc.

AndrewGreen
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyS wrote:

There are things that MMA doesn't allow for e.g. clothes, fight psychology, how to kick the fight off etc. However these things can be tested and trained in a realistic manner also (see Geoff Thompson's videos with some of his training methodologies).

Once again, that is only the competitive side of MMA. I firmly believe that those things can and should be a part of training. What makes MMA unique is not its competition format, but its training methods and training philosophy.

Weapons, clothes, fight psychology, etc. can all be addressed using the same training methods and the same training philosophy.

They can be as much a part of a MMA curriculum as eye boinks and throat strikes are a part of many traditional schools. (both of which can also be a part of a MMA curriculum if you want them too)

Andrew Green

Warp Spider
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndrewGreen wrote:

Warp Spider wrote:
Actually the martial art I practice has nothing to do with dungeons and dragons, thank you very much.

Why aren't you on a RPG forum? Why a martial arts one?

I can't believe this escaped you, but I'll repeat it. No relation to roleplaying. Just because something has the same name does not mean there is any relationship between the two. Role playing games (unless you count tactical simulation, which is in a sense a form of role playing, but I imagine you meant pen and paper-type roleplaying) do nothing to further the goal.

PS They chase me away from the mental hospital every time I go near it, so I doubt they'll be coming for me anytime soon.

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: white chocolate profiteroles and natas....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have asked him before about his "art" but have never gotten a proper reply.

i think it's better that we don't ask.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

aznkarateboi
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: shaolin gung fu southern style

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WarpSpider, Until you've mastered your super healing powers of holy light, I think you should continue killing goblins and zombies. Anyways, I agree with AndrewGreen. UFC is the closest to reality you can get in a tournament. If a technique works in the UFC it will probably work against a live opponent. If a technique, doesn't work in the UFCs, then it certainly isn't effective. Think about this. If a 300 pound man wouldn't use a pretty jump-spin kick in a NHB tournament, what makes a 120 pound Tae Kwon Do girl think it will work for her?

aznkarateboi
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: shaolin gung fu southern style

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warp Spider wrote:

PS They chase me away from the mental hospital every time I go near it, so I doubt they'll be coming for me anytime soon.

No offense intended, but with your talk of "smiting zombies" I wouldn't be surprised if this were true.

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottom Line, UFC is not a real situation. Accept it and move on. It's a great sport, be proud. There are simply too many factors and infinite scenarios to claim that UFC compares in any way to the street. I personally have tapes of all of Royce's UFC fights and he's awesome, no doubt. But in many cases he couldn't submit some fighters fast enough, sometimes guys who knew nothing about grappling. Taking that long in a real situation is disasterous and I think anyone with a brain can see that. Now if some of you want to believe your fantasy that UFC is "Real" go ahead, go pick a fight in a real bad part of town and see what real is.

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

AndrewGreen
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOONE SAID IT WAS!!!

It is the closest we got, that is what was said. NO training situation or competition situation is a "real" situation.

If you want to argue, argue that. These weak attempts at putting up a strawman are not doing anyone any good.

Andrew Green
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 3 of 15
Jump to: