Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Are you a Christian Martial Artist ??
Yes, I can do ALL things thru Christ Jesus who strengthens me !!
55%
 55%  [ 48 ]
No, but Martial Arts still rock !!
44%
 44%  [ 38 ]
Total Votes : 86

DeeLovesKarate
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan, EFK, Brazillian Jujitsu, and Tae-bo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue wrote:
I'm a Christian also. I've actually had a little trouble reconciling martial arts in my heart while keeping in mind Scripture like loving your enemy and turn the other cheek. While i can learn how to fight - is it right to fight ? I wouldn't really say that i identify with a denomination although i go to a Lutheran Church and yes through Christ all things are possible.

I don't agree with the bible on these things. If someone goes up to you and harms you, you won't let them do it, or harm them back. It reminds me of the people who were raped by the priests and told that god would make sure their parents would die if they told.
See, I am extremely against those websites. Did anyone notice that they called all non-christian religions "fake" religions? These are bordering on hate crimes.
They also pretty much promised me that since I don't believe in organized religion, love rock and roll, love easter, love halloween, love M.A., and don't accept the bible as the word of god, an afterlife with satan.
I don't think god said, " thou shalt not love aerosmith, or attempt 360 spinning roundhouses off the living room table." HOW IS THAT WRONG?!??!?!?!?!?! LOL!
I've had people loathe me for what i believe, or disagree with how I live with the aforementioned, so-called, sins, but isn't it a little harsh to guarenty me a life with satan?

Anyway, I have to go "commune with satan" by practicing my katas. Anyone wanna join me??

Please, please, please reply,
Grrrrr,
Dee

LeaF
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to disagree with you Dee and Blue.. I believe the martial arts ask us to be humble and not start fights and if we follow the examples of the great masters (or at least the karate ones ) we will see this shown..

For instance I recall a story I read about hmm I believe it was Chojun Miyagi (founder of Goju ryu). He was approached by a drunken soldier who wanted his money. Well he merely gentlly threw the man aside and continued. But later that day he debated his actions and felt sorry for the man he threw aside. He believe it would have been better to just give the man his money, who obviously needed it more due to the fact the war had ended leaving him unemployed...

It is a common misconception ion todays socialty that the martial arts teach and encourage fighting. I believe if a fight can be avoided at any cost than it is a success. (of coarse you do not let this be known to much because you will have tons of people walking all over you.) So I do believe the Scriptures and the martial arts do fall into place and basicly speak and teach us the same thing. A little humilaty in this world could go a long way.

I AM CANADIAN

inyctrotter
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea.....seriously it doesnt really matter. Just don't let Martial arts get into your way of Jesus. Jesus is always first in our life.

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeeLovesKarate wrote:

I don't agree with the bible on these things.

There's a lot more than that with which to disagree. Don't get me started.

DeeLovesKarate wrote:

attempt 360 spinning roundhouses off the living room table

It's hard to do it from the table to the couch, believe me I've tried (and failed )

I think God is a little fickle. I mean, in the Old Testament we have total chaos, we have God encouraging extra-marital relations and everyone fighting everyone and people sacrificing their children and killing lions in their dreams, but then in the New Testament we are supposed to believe that God has always wanted us to be kind and gentle beings, turning the other cheek, being faithful and commiting no sin. What is the definition of sin?

Girls kick butt!

Bro_Joey_Gowdy
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Chi Ki So JKD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All definictions used are from Webster's Dictionary 1958 Edition

SIN :
transgression against divine or moral law, esp. when committed consciously;
conduct or state of mind of a habitual or unrepentant sinner;
iniquity;
evil;
to depart from path of duty prescribed by God;
to violate any rule of duty;
to do wrong;
wicked;
unholy;

repent :
to feel regret for a deed or omission;
to desire to change one's life as a result of sorrow for one's sins.
-ance sorrow for a deed or regret; contrition; penitence;

penitent :
deeply affected by sense of guilt;
contrite;
repentant;
one who repents of sin.
-ence sorrow for having sinned; repentance
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make it a point to abstain from discussion involving both religion and politics especially when combined with the added fuel of martial arts.

In the United States alone... between 50 and 70 percent of all martial artists .. ( and roughly 20 percent of all instructors )... consider themselves Christians.
"The martial arts are a topic of much confusion and misunderstanding today, especially within the christian community. Views range from those who claim the Asian martial arts are wholly incompatible with Christianity to those who say the two naturally blend."
Read this article
http://www.pastornet.net.au/response/articles/a00003.htm

It is a matter of faith. If a person's faith is strong there should be no problem.

Blue
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Please, please, please reply

Since you were quoting me Dee how about if i just respond with what the hell are you talking about ? I'm not sure how your response is related to what i posted ?

regards

BlueDragon1981
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Goshin Jutsu Karate, Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Religion Shouldnt matter.....Look what things start in the name of religions. .... war is one main thing. The Martial Arts generally dont discriminate against any religion. Although some center around Buddism and Hinduism they never tell you have to learn the religion or be that religion. In the martial arts religion should not matter. Im sure I dont have the same religious beliefs as some of my class mates, ya know what though it never comes up in my class. No matter who you are there you are respected. Heck I dont respect my instructor as a person but I do as a martial artist if that makes sense. So religion should not matter. Religion, Race, all that should never matter. (if your wondering I am a Christian also)

DeeLovesKarate
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan, EFK, Brazillian Jujitsu, and Tae-bo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue wrote:
Quote:
Please, please, please reply

Since you were quoting me Dee how about if i just respond with what the * are you talking about ? I'm not sure how your response is related to what i posted ?

regards

LOL. I'll tell you the truth, neither do I. I have NO IDEA how it relates. A little voice in my head prompted that post after reading yours. So, sorry, sometimes I just debate with myself or with no one. It seemed to get a lot of replies, though, didn't it?
Grrrrrr,
Dee

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the posts in this topic have been split into a new thread in the Internal Arts forum. So please continue your discussion of Noah in Christianity and the martial arts in the Internal Arts forum.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8
Jump to: