Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Are you a Christian Martial Artist ??
Yes, I can do ALL things thru Christ Jesus who strengthens me !!
55%
 55%  [ 48 ]
No, but Martial Arts still rock !!
44%
 44%  [ 38 ]
Total Votes : 86

Sasori_Te
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kempo and Kobudo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to know when the chi or ki or bioelectricity, whichever you like, became an evil thing. I mean I believe in God but extremism is not in my nature. GOd gave internal energy to us to be used by our bodies to function properly. Why would it be wrong to strengthen and use this thing that we already have. I have never seen a requirement fo ranyone to become Taoist or Bhuddist or any other religion in order to be able to practice proper breathing and visualization. Not to mention this is very intolerant of other religions. I thought being a Christian was all about love thy neighbor and tolerance. I don't recall seeing anything in the Bible that says unless they don't think like you do. Sorry but I just don't buy into that whole attitude. As for any New Age movement, as the study of chi is several thousand years old, I'm thinking it's not so new.

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just think it's more marketing tactics. What does Christian MA's even mean. Who cares if it's Christian or Buddist or Atheist as long as it works. Personally I wouldn't want some religious overtones in my MA's teachings, it's just not the place for worship. I'm by no means criticising anyones religion, because I can respect peoples beliefs. The only thing is that naming a MA after a religion just seems questionable to me.

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

KWN
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aefibird,
You are totally right, not all MA classes promote the New Age movement, but some people arn't happy with a plain old self defense and end up going on to "bigger and better" things, but that wasn't my only point. What about the violence? I don't believe that you shouldn't try to defend yourself like some Christians do, (personally, i think they are over the wall, lol. ) I just think alot of the 'moves" in karate are more of an offense than a defense. Another friend of mine does AFK, and I watched her class and I noticed a lot of going BACK UP to the opponet. Shouldn't you just try to run? Well, thats my opinion.

KWN[/quote]

KWN
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sasori_Te wrote:
Whatever happened to the concept of "judge not lest ye also be judged" in Christianity? These sights sound like my Uncel could have written them. The only people worthy of love and respect are those that think exactly like him. It's a shame really. I feel bad for those folks.
Well, if you're going to use scripture to prove a point, at least use the whole context. "Judge not, that you be not judged" is followed by "For with what judgement you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you." This is followed by the section on a speck in your brother's eye and the log in your own. What the Lord was saying was not that we can't judge (other NT scripture commands us to judge), but rather to judge fairly.

KWN
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="aefibird"]
KWN wrote:
My instructor never discusses religion or anything like that during class, only karate.

Just one more thing. My best friend bows to photos of famouse karate masters in her style karate, (chito ryu) and I was just wondering if you did the same thing. A lot of people try to excuse this by saying it's just like shaking hands, but how can you? It is just a photograph of a person who isn't there and can't appreciate your respect. I think bowing to a higher rank is fine but to a photo...that just doesn't seem right.

rb
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: judo, bjj

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWN

Seriously, don't sweat the little things.

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWN wrote:

Just one more thing. My best friend bows to photos of famouse karate masters in her style karate, (chito ryu) and I was just wondering if you did the same thing. A lot of people try to excuse this by saying it's just like shaking hands, but how can you? It is just a photograph of a person who isn't there and can't appreciate your respect. I think bowing to a higher rank is fine but to a photo...that just doesn't seem right.

In my karate club we hardly ever bow at all anyway, especially not to a photograph. I can't really see anything wrong with bowing to a photograph, though. It's just showing respect, even if the person isn't physically there to 'receive' it. Just because someone can't apprecialte your respect it doesn't mean you should necessarily withhold it.

I think that with things like that, though, you should go with what you feel comfortable with. Each person is different and only they really know how they're feeling. If a person has a problem with a certain aspect of martial arts because of their beliefs then they should try and find a system or club that will help them to be a martial artist but without compromising beliefs.

Sheffield Steelers!

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWN wrote:

In my karate club we hardly ever bow at all anyway, especially not to a photograph. I can't really see anything wrong with bowing to a photograph, though. It's just showing respect, even if the person isn't physically there to 'receive' it. Just because someone can't apprecialte your respect it doesn't mean you should necessarily withhold it.

I think that with things like that, though, you should go with what you feel comfortable with. Each person is different and only they really know how they're feeling. If a person has a problem with a certain aspect of martial arts because of their beliefs then they should try and find a system or club that will help them to be a martial artist but without compromising beliefs.

Sheffield Steelers!

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWN wrote:

Sheffield Steelers!

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: white chocolate profiteroles and natas....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoa...
the bowing has to be taken in a cultural context.
it is about respect, not worship.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8
Jump to: