Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Our school is going to open classes back up on Monday for those who feel comfortable attending. They are adding an extra class time for our Little Lions, and are allowing attendees to wear a mask if they feel comfortable doing so.

They are also eliminating sparring and one-step/self-defense practice for the time being, in order to observe the 6 foot social distancing policy, and are keeping the limit at 10, counting the instructor.

We'll see how this goes, and what kind of reception it gets.

Having been fortunate enough to train with you, Brian at your school, the space in doable with the 6 foot social distancing policy with the 10 person limit. Me, myself, and I, at this moment, wouldn't feel comfortable in reopening any class size, and that's mainly because I've an underlying condition...Afib, and while I've no Covid-19 symptoms, my Afib won't allow me otherwise.

Good luck, if your school does move forward in that endeavour.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the biggest challenge is lack of space. Most will have space to do two or three steps max so no chance to do full forms. We could look at individual movements though and small kicking combinatiions. I've got very limited space at home too. We're still on lockdown so no chance for me to go to a sports hall to film.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
Our school is going to open classes back up on Monday for those who feel comfortable attending. They are adding an extra class time for our Little Lions, and are allowing attendees to wear a mask if they feel comfortable doing so.

They are also eliminating sparring and one-step/self-defense practice for the time being, in order to observe the 6 foot social distancing policy, and are keeping the limit at 10, counting the instructor.

Having been fortunate enough to train with you, Brian at your school, the space in doable with the 6 foot social distancing policy with the 10 person limit. Me, myself, and I, at this moment, wouldn't feel comfortable in reopening any class size, and that's mainly because I've an underlying condition...Afib, and while I've no Covid-19 symptoms, my Afib won't allow me otherwise.

Well, this is nixed now. Our governor issued a "stay at home" order, so we're closed for the time being.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

Well, this is nixed now. Our governor issued a "stay at home" order, so we're closed for the time being.

Seems to be the responsible thing for a Governor to do in the effort to stave off this pandemic crisis that seems to be in full throttle.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did my first online class last night. We had 24 in attendance!

Did a 15 min work out, 20 mins line work, 20 mins sparring combos, then the rest of the hour we finished off with core exercises and a cooldown.

Given how much lag there was with students set ups, I think with these sessions its less technical instruction and more just drilling drilling to make everyone work up a sweat. Class seemed to enjoy it.

Anyone else run an online class yet?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Danielle on your successful on-line class. How do you think it went overall, and will you continue your in-line classes??

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it went well, Danielle. Keeping to drilling is probably the way to go for the time being. Perhaps if you get some one-on-one time with some students, it would be interesting to see how and what you could change in your approach.

We haven't done anything yet, but I'm keeping an eye out.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Congrats, Danielle on your successful on-line class. How do you think it went overall, and will you continue your in-line classes??

I'll be continuing it whilst we are in this situation. Its' keeping the kids especially engaged and the parents are appreciating it as it helps provide some structure to the week. Plus it keeps me focused with my own training.

Definitely challenging trying to teach when you cannot physically correct or engage with a student but if anything is forcing me to become better with how I verbally explain things.

It's funny because on KF over the years there have been many posts on whether online training can work, the Gracies have already done it to an extent with Gracie University, but the general consensus was that it was a horrible idea. I don't think it will ever replace direct instruction but having had to do this now I can see it having a place.

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

I'll be continuing it whilst we are in this situation. Its' keeping the kids especially engaged and the parents are appreciating it as it helps provide some structure to the week. Plus it keeps me focused with my own training.

Definitely challenging trying to teach when you cannot physically correct or engage with a student but if anything is forcing me to become better with how I verbally explain things.

It's funny because on KF over the years there have been many posts on whether online training can work, the Gracies have already done it to an extent with Gracie University, but the general consensus was that it was a horrible idea. I don't think it will ever replace direct instruction but having had to do this now I can see it having a place.

How are you handling tuition during this time? Are you still charging full price for online lessons?

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lupin1 wrote:
DWx wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

How are you handling tuition during this time? Are you still charging full price for online lessons?

That's a good question as I know amongst fellow instructors here in the UK there are differing views on this.

Basically I have given members three options:

* continue with the same monthly payments and I comp their next colour belt grading and annual licence (insurance)
* reduced payments - they tell me what they can afford from £1 through to the full amount, and I will comp their next grading
* freeze payments

Regardless of which option they choose they can do as many online classes they want per week (I do Mon, Weds, Fri) and can have complimentary one-to-ones or video reviews. I've also tried to bring added value by having guest instructors such as the yoga teacher who now does 30 mins on a Friday and ran a free 3 hour session with a sport psychologist about positivity and coping strategies.

The vast majority have left their payments in place. I've had 3 people freeze due to losing their income and 2 reduce down. And this is out of 60+ paying members.

My argument for not freezing the payments across the board is that I'm still bringing value and if anything its harder work running this type of class. I also have overheads still going out like instructor insurances, web hosting, advertising etc. and now have to pay subscriptions for decent web conferencing software.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: