Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
skullsplitter wrote:
We reopened for in person classes on 5/26. The first few weeks we had about 25% of our enrolled students coming back. Now we have all but 10 of the originally enrolled students PLUS 25-30 new students so we have more than we started with now. The owner think's it might be the Cobra Kai show stirring interest.
A new shutdown is looming though with at least 1 neighboring state closing gyms this week.
That's great that you've got more students now! If Cobra Kai is actually revitalizing the Karate community somewhat, then that's a good thing.

I've definitely seen a lot of enquiries recently and a fair few were mentioning Karate Kid / Cobra Kai to me. Wouldn't be surprised if the Martial Arts industry grows off the back of this.
Well, that'd be alright if it does.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People usually take up learning martial arts for a reason and are usually inspired by something. The only thing that truly matters from an instructor’s point of view is that no matter their inspiration or reason for starting, students keep coming and train as long as possible. The media can be a good way to spark initial interest in martial arts, but on its own it is not a very strong inspiration. The other thing to keep in mind is that a student’s reason for starting may wildly differ from the reason(s) for staying and pursuing martial arts over time.

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, IJR Karate, Iaido, Kobudo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a very small club (classes generally have between 3-7 students), we paused our classes when the first lockdown started and we are only just getting round to resuming one of our classes in the new year, we don't often get new students. But in the past month I have had 3 new students enquiring about starting up!

Looking forward to finally getting back into the dojo! especially with new students starting.

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ashworth wrote:
I run a very small club (classes generally have between 3-7 students), we paused our classes when the first lockdown started and we are only just getting round to resuming one of our classes in the new year, we don't often get new students. But in the past month I have had 3 new students enquiring about starting up!

Looking forward to finally getting back into the dojo! especially with new students starting.
That's great that you've got some more interest! I'm sorry that you have to wait until after the first of the year, though. Our school is still holding classes at the dojang, so we've been lucky so far.

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would have been possible to start up sooner, but expected the second lockdown, didn't want to mess the students around by opening back up for a little while to just close again, and being this close to Christmas it was a group decision to get the classes back up and running again in the new year, well for one location anyway, having issues with the venue for one of our locations.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ashworth wrote:
It would have been possible to start up sooner, but expected the second lockdown, didn't want to mess the students around by opening back up for a little while to just close again, and being this close to Christmas it was a group decision to get the classes back up and running again in the new year, well for one location anyway, having issues with the venue for one of our locations.

Which tier are you in Ashworth? We're in tier 3 so can only do under-18s classes at the moment.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a 4 week lockdown we're back teaching in person but only for under 18s and all still socially distant.

But... local schools seem to have loads of cases, one of my students got hit with it pretty bad and very unwell. Every time a school student gets it, the whole year group is sent home to isolate. Out of around 40 kids we have well into double figures isolating now.

As a result we're doing half and half classes. I teach in person but also have the laptop on and am streaming to those at home. Has made lesson planning super challenging as I have to plan things for both the at-homers to do in their small space, plus things for the in person people to do.

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
After a 4 week lockdown we're back teaching in person but only for under 18s and all still socially distant.

Are you in Tier 3 then?? We are in tier 2 and able to return our adult classes as well...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: