Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturday 25th February

Lifting Session

Had a week off as i had tweaked my knee and needed to rest it, had first session back today. Reduced the volume to be safe but made sure got the heavier sets in

Squat

20kg x 5
40kg x 5
62.5kg x 5
72.5kg x 5
82.5kg x 5

These felt smooth and easy. Right knee was still a little funny afterwards but overall ok

Standing KB one arm shoulder press

20kg x 10
20kg x 10
20kg x 10
20kg x 10
20kg x 10

E-Z Bar Curl

30kg x 6
30kg x 6
30kg x 6

Total poundage : 2927.5kg
Total time : 25min
Density : 117.1 kg/min

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuesday 28 February

Lifting Session

Bench Press

20kg x 5
40kg x 5
47.5kg x 5
55kg x 5
62.5kg x 5
47.5kg x 5
47.5kg x 5
47.5kg x 5
47.5kg x 5
47.5kg x 5

KB Gorilla Row (reps = L + R; weight = per kb)

24kg x 14
24kg x 14
24kg x 14
24kg x 14
24kg x 14
24kg x 14
24kg x 14
24kg x 14
24kg x 14
24kg x 14

E-Z Bar Curl (superset with below)

30kg x 7
30kg x 7
30kg x 7

Triceps straight bar pushdown

25kg x 7
25kg x 7
25kg x 7

total poundage lifted : 6827.5kg
time : 35min
density: 195.1 kg/min

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wednesday 1st March

Karate session

Warm ups

slightly different this week as a different instructor - one of the 3rd dans filled in for the week. Lots more stretching which was good. Also did some drills of front kicking over a prone partner to work on chambering properly and a similar drill for yoko geri keage

Kihon

Worked through our required grading kihon. Got a useful pointer for one of them that a hand adjustment i was performing (As i thought it was required) is not needed so not to do it. Simple fix to make though which is good

Kata

Worked through grading kata a few times. Once to a count and then all the way through and also once myself in front of the class. Tried to really focus on 'separating out the moves' whilst performing each technique as quickly and sharply as possible. Got some really good feedback afterwards that it looked really good (so i will try to perform it this way in future!)

Also found out that i will be grading again in 2 wks - thought i might be but they hadn't mentioned the dates!

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thursday 2nd March

BJJ Session

Another BJJ session aimed at Heavyweights, which i really enjoyed!!

Focused on passing spider guard

First pass was slightly step forward with one leg and with opposite hand try to circle it behind opponents leg to get a grip. Then push forward with front leg, kneeling into the opponents spider hook and circle hand round on that side too. Depending on opponents response then can either finish pass with stacking pass; groin split pass; leg drag pass as appropriate. The way i do it is usually end up in leg drag pass position so generally focused on that

Second pass involved stepping back a a little and grabbing opponents legs, pulling them forward slightly so back comes off the mat a little. Then take a small step to one side (i did left), shift slightly to right and then swing left leg over and round opponents legs so you end up trapping both of their legs together and sitting on them! Then use your weight to slide down them into the pass, being careful to control behind their back so they can't back out and then control their head.

Also worked on a brabo choke from this position. When sitting on them you feed left hand UNDER the highest arm and take a very deep collar grip, then adjust the top arm so that it is under you and sprawl down into them so that you are pushing shoulder into neck similarly to with an arm triangle. Put your free arm behind their head and gradually contract everything together.

Didn't have any rolling time left at the end.

Also, i have signed up for a judo and bjj combined seminar being taught this weekend which i am looking forward to a lot!

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunday 5 March

Judo and BJJ seminar

Attended a seminar based on interactions between judo and bjj which i really enjoyed.

First part was dedicated to some judo throws that would fit in well for bjj. We mainly drilled uchi-mata, firstly from a standard set up and then from collapsing your opponents grip inwards towards their body then going for it there. We also practiced another throw that seems very like a bjj hook sweep : you trapped the nearside arm, dropped down and with the near side leg hooked it under their leg and flipped them over you, rolling up to finish in side control.

Realistically i would need a LOT more drilling to use these in training properly but its a start and the sweep based one seemed more natural!

Then had a few rounds of randori and the judo guys were very nice and didnt splat me too much!

For the bjj section we worked some techniques from broken scarf hold (far side arm having the underhook rather than head grip). Spent some time working on maintaining the position by preventing the opponent getting elbow to floor so you can win via pin. Then added in a couple of submissions for if they start to get out. First one being an armbar of near side arm after stepping one leg over head. Second one being the Canto choke (which i have always loved!)

Finished off with a few rounds of resisted drilling.

Really enjoyed the seminar and also reminded me how much harder judo is physically!! A LOT more tired and achy than i am after a similar bjj session

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wednesday 8th March

Karate Session

Warm ups

Usual warm ups done then at the end did a few turns of leg only sparring lightly.

Kihon

Ran through required grading kihon which seemed to go smoothly. Then we had a few goes of mawashi geri's to a pad working on lifting the foot and chambering properly

Kata

A couple of run throughs of grading kata on my own in middle of floor. Comments were good and nothing major to work on (though obviously can always improve!). Have got the rhythm and timing for it down a lot better now and it feels sharper.

Kumite

Practiced required grading kumite a couple of times.

Grading in a week and a bit now too

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thursday 9 March

BJJ Session

Change in instructors today so the usual Thursday 'bjj for heavyweights' had a little more 'fast whippity people stuff included' but i survived!

We went over a sweep from 'worm guard' which i had never heard of before!

Started standing and swipe across with left hand to pull their left lapel (on my right hand side) out from belt and then grip it with my right hand, with my left hand taking a lapel grip. Put left foot on opponents right hip and drop to ground then lasso right foot round trapped lapel. Shift slightly onto right hip and swing left leg up and down in a motion similar to pendulum sweep to come up on oppenents right leg, facing into their knee. Transfer lapel into left hand then 'judo chop' into their right knee (buckle it in slightly) and regrab lapel with right hand deep on lapel. The chop gives space to get deeper grip. Then post on left hand and 'scissor legs' to sweep opponent down. Then pass straight to mount.

Then worked on a couple of chokes from there : arm triangle and ezekiel

Few rounds of rolling after. On plus side i managed to hit a couple of cross collar chokes which i was trying to work on but on negative side i got caught in a simple armbar from guard due to being careless - always a good lesson!

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturday 11 March

Lifting Session

Had to abbreviate this a little due to multiple other things this weekend so made sure to do the main lift weight and superset with a useful accessory but didn't do the additional volume.

Trap Bar Deadlift

70kg x 5
80kg x 5
90kg x 5
102.5kg x 5
115kg x 5

Standing Single arm kb press (reps = L + R)

16kg x 20
16kg x 20
16kg x 20
16kg x 20
16kg x 20

Time : 25min
total poundage lifted : 3887.5kg
density : 155.5 kg/min

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monday 13th March

BJJ Session

This session was working on one particular closed guard pass, the log splitter pass. Broke it down into multiple sections and drilled it a lot.

Started by taking a grip on either side of guard players chest, between lapel and armpit and driving hands into armpits. Straight arms and tight in to stop opponent flaring them out. Stand up in the guard, making sure feet are back far enough to prevent a grip of ankle. Can adjust opponents guard up a little by sitting back a little, like a bodyweight squat using them as a counterbalance and then straightening. then shift right foot into opponents centreline with shim against their behind. Sit back and down driving knee through guard. This was covered a lot as being like a rear lunge but front leg remains vertical and toes do not go forward over knees. Once guard opened then pass as appropriate.

Did some more drills of this and then did some more drilling of the flower sweep as i haven't done that for ages and want to get back to using it.

Few rounds of rolling too which went fine.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuesday 14th March

Lifting session

Seated Overhead Press

20kg x 5
25kg x 5
32.5kg x 5
35kg x 5
40kg x 5
32.5kg x 5
32.5kg x 5
32.5kg x 5
32.5kg x 5
32.5kg x 5

KB Swings

20kg x 11
20kg x 11
20kg x 11
20kg x 11
20kg x 11
20kg x 11
20kg x 11
20kg x 11
20kg x 11
20kg x 11

E-Z Bar Curls

30kg x 8
30kg x 8
30kg x 8

also did a fair amount of stretching afterwards. Trying to fit in more hip stretching exercises every couple of days

Time taken : 35min
total poundage : 4495
density : 128.4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 16 of 32
Jump to: