Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
You could increase the density of the training, but first you should consider what your goals actually are, and determine if that is the variable to change or not. Very early on in structured strength training, not many variables need to change except load.

Are you using a particular program?

I'm using a 2day per week variation of the 531 programme. Have run 531 before and got good results.

Your question led me to take a look back through my last couple of years worth of paper workout logs and i realised that i have (without realising it) cut the volume quite a bit on the sessions over time - it's been a little adjustment here due to time etc

My logs from earlier in the pandemic were 3dpw with less martial arts but the volume was quite a bit more. Dug out my copies of wnedler's books again and had a look through and i think that should help too.

Will tweak things a little for the next go-around

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had several of Wendler's books (got to find them or re-order them), and also have 5/3/1 Forever. There's a lot of stuff in that one; and it might take a couple of read-thrus to figure it all out. Lot's of programs in it.

I wondered if you were doing some 5/3/1 when you mentioned your final set was an AMRAP set. I do like some of the programming, but the problem I've had when considering switching to it is that the Training Max goes way below what I'm used to working with, and it doesn't provide enough stress. But, along the same lines, I tend to take longer rests between heavy sets than he recommends for his workouts. As time goes on, I may look at working with 5/3/1 again.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
I had several of Wendler's books (got to find them or re-order them), and also have 5/3/1 Forever. There's a lot of stuff in that one; and it might take a couple of read-thrus to figure it all out. Lot's of programs in it.

I wondered if you were doing some 5/3/1 when you mentioned your final set was an AMRAP set. I do like some of the programming, but the problem I've had when considering switching to it is that the Training Max goes way below what I'm used to working with, and it doesn't provide enough stress. But, along the same lines, I tend to take longer rests between heavy sets than he recommends for his workouts. As time goes on, I may look at working with 5/3/1 again.

Yeah when i first tried 531 (this is years ago) i had an issue with the numbers being lower (at the time i was doing 200kg x 5 for DL and the TM concept seemed odd). I found though that it worked well with other training : as long as you are doing a lot of conditioning work on 'off days' or in my case it was martial arts classes mainly, then it works well and lets you recover. Anyone i knew who tried it and didn't add in the conditioning etc (solely lifting) didn't like it as much. When i went through phases of lifting mainly in the past i found that i did well using Jamie Lewis (from Chaos and Pain site) style routines - but everyone is different.

I'm just taking a long term view of it. I keep logbooks and have spreadsheets set up that calculate my estimated 1RM for all of the lifts plus keep track of the rep maximums for every weight. As long as i can see that things are ticking upwards over time steadily then i'm happy. Could i get stronger faster with another programme? Probably yes, but that runs the risk of injury/more fatigue for the ma training which for me isn't worth it.

I appreciate the input though Thanks for taking the time to comment - always good to get additional input

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great that your are keeping a log, and tracking your various PRs. It's always good to have that information handy.

As for using other programs and the "injury factor" you mentioned, it's likely not has high a probability as you think. The important thing is to keep your lifting separate from your sport. Lifting is for getting stronger, and practicing your sport is how you get better at your sport; not by making your lifting look like your sport training. But by the looks of your lifting routine, you've got a good handle on that.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuesday 16th August

Lifting Session

BJJ coach is away this week so sessions moved about a bit.

Bench Press

20kg x 8
40kg x 5
50kg x 3
62.5kg x 3
72.5kg x 3
80kg x 5
45kg x 10
45kg x 10
45kg x 10

Trying to add a little more volume and felt good. Will do so gradually. Reps felt smooth though final rep on max weight set felt tough (but it should do). Was really trying to concentrate on form and felt decent

Seated overhead press

25kg x 10
25kg x 10
25kg x 10

these felt good and surprisingly fatiguing in the shoulders (i must use more shoulder than i think when i bench!). using the 50% of TM number and seems reasonable

Bent over barbell row

60kg x 10
60kg x 10
60kg x 10
60kg x 10

These also felt good

Wrist Roller

3.75kg x 6
3.75kg x 6
3.75kg x 4

Gradually increasing these. will work up to 3 x 10 and then increase weight

Rest periods kept quite low too. Apart from heaviest bench sets i stuck to 50sec for everything else

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wednesday 17th August

Karate Session

There was a really small turnout as the schools started back today and some people are still away on holiday etc. Was just two of us and the instructor, which from a selfish point of is great as it becomes a semi private lesson and lets me find out more areas to work on!

Warm up

Usual warm up carried out

Kihon

did quite a bit of kihon. Slightly slower grading kihon, with lots of focus on stance depth and kime. Realised i can manage a much longer stance more easily when i minimise the 'coming up' during steps.

Then went through techniques much harder, trying to replicate a grading. Was helpful. I'm not making a blade well enough with my foot on my yoko geri's so was working to fix that

Kata

We spent the remainder of the class working on our grading kata. Lots of run throughs of Heian Sandan. Initially to my own timing then to count, ironing out issues the instructor could see, repeating this a few times, then a few more times to my own count.

Was very helpful. Managed to iron out most of the issues as they were mainly misconceptions on my part eg i was deliberately straightening up on the second pair of uchi uke/gedan bari rather than the first but the instructor said it should be the first one.

Need a little more work though on pushing my hip through for the fumikomi stomps without travelling too wide an arc.

On the whole though am happy that i can see improvements. will work on it at home as usual too

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thursday 18th August

Lifting Session

This session got cut a little shorter than planned as got called back in by the other half as both her and my 5yr old had picked up a tummy bug! Got the main lift done though

Deadlift

70kg x 5
80kg x 5
90kg x 3
102.5kg x 3
117.5kg x 3
130kg x 5
70kg x 10
70kg x 10
70kg x 10

Later that evening i added in some kihon practice to get a little more exercise in but not push it overmuch. Did the following :

Gyaku Tzuki x 100
Age Uke x 100
Soto uke x 100
Uchi uke x 100

Went at a medium pace most of the way through but sped up the final few reps for each technique. Was concentrating on form throughout

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wednesday 24th August

Karate Session

This was a really good session. The other instructor took myself and one of the other students aside and ran it as a mock grading, checking all the things we need to cover for the grading in a few weeks.

Pleased with the feedback, got a couple of minor things to work on, but otherwise if i perform the same at the grading i should pass smoothly. Will try to work on the details for next few weeks and no slip up on anything else!

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thursday 25th August

Lifting Session

Seated Overhead Press

20kg x 8
25kg x 5
30kg x 3
37.5kg x 3
42.5kg x 3
47.5kg x 6
25kg x 10
25kg x 10
25kg x 10

Bench Press (ss with KB one hand row)

45kg x 10
45kg x 10
45kg x 10

One Arm KB Row

24kg x 10
24kg x 10
24kg x 10

Wrist Roller

3.75kg x 6
3.75kg x 6
3.75kg x 6

Overall was pleased with the session. There has been a stomach bug going around the house all week and i had quite a dodgy stomach going in. Pleased i managed to hit the required numbers on the 3+ set though i would have liked more reps ideally. Wrist roller was beginning to burn a lot at end of final set but that is a good thing!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthPenguin wrote:
Wednesday 24th August

Karate Session

This was a really good session. The other instructor took myself and one of the other students aside and ran it as a mock grading, checking all the things we need to cover for the grading in a few weeks.

Pleased with the feedback, got a couple of minor things to work on, but otherwise if i perform the same at the grading i should pass smoothly. Will try to work on the details for next few weeks and no slip up on anything else!

It's always great to get this kind if individualized attention and feedback. Best of luck on your upcoming test!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 5 of 33
Jump to: