Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

shaolin10
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Fighting a Boxer Reply with quote

I am a part of The Penn State Martial Arts Club and this semester we have a majority of students who are well trained in several styles like Brazilian Jujitsu, Tae Kwon Do, Shotokan, Kung Fu, Aikijujitsu, Tang Soo Do, Boxing, Aikijujitsu, Kickboxing, Ishhinryu and Wrestling.

Well anyways today a friend of mine was showing me some defenses against a Tang Soo Do fighter and we mocked sparred for about a minute and I was unprepared for how fast his hands were and did not see an opening or a proper way to defend against his attacks.

Can someone give me any ideas on how to defend against a boxer?

Shorin Ryuu
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu, Ryukyu Kobudo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd probably have to do the same thing a boxer does (which fortunately are also part of good karate): keep the hands up, work the angle, and don't try to "hard block" him. An oversimplification, but just some tips.

Also, you can try doing the above and getting in close to take him down (if allowed?). If you want to trap his arms, it's pretty much going to have to be a one-handed/arm trap or press in conjunction with something else (see below). Due to the speed, it is foolhardy to try and grab his arms all day

Another tip is simultaneous blocking/parrying/slipping/whatever and hitting. If you can hit him as you neutralize his attack, he may not be expected it as much.

But if you want the most bang for your buck in the least amount of time, work on working the angle. The rest of the stuff will follow. It certainly isn't an exhaustive list, but just a few tips.

Jay
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep you distance and kick him

Shorin Ryuu
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu, Ryukyu Kobudo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaolin10, just to help us frame the debate, do you mean in a street fight or during sparring?

If in a street fight, I would recommend moving in close to kick his legs/knees, since he would not be expecting it as much (being a boxer). If you try too much to stay "outside of range", it is just asking for him to shoot in and wail away at you.

Shorinryu Sensei
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo (Seito/Orthodox) Karate and Kobudo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good advise so far, but I'd add that when you're in close, use your elbows, and at a distance, low kicks to the leg, groin and lower abdomen. Do not try to kick him in the head or you will be out in less than a second. He'll move in and nail you while your foot's in the air...that is, if he's any good he will.

y2_sub
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Officially switched to boxing , formally kyokushin karate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep your distance and don't target the face , low kick him insted

Superfoot
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Aikido, TKD, Shorinjikan Ju Jitsu, Fencing, Boxing, Seal Lung Kickboxing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he has a traditional boxing stance where he leans lightly forward, and his lead foot is directly or almost in front of his rear, use leg kicks to his lead. Inner or outer thigh. And circle away from his rear hand, towards his blind spot and maintain a distance so he cannot his you with a looping lead hook.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't play his game. There's specific targets and distances that they're trained to use. Don't stand right in the middle of them and try to trade blows. Hit their legs, keep them at range, take them down. Deny them the advantage they have trained for.

Rich_2k3
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Trodai Karate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he was a good boxer he'd be in good shape, hit hard and be able to take lots of blows (i'm talking about a real fight now), I wouldnt like to fight a boxer. Not becuase boxing is amazing for self defence, but becuase the boxing training itself builds you up and makes you very tough and strong. Against a boxer i'd probably fight real dirty and eye jab, groin kick and hit him when he's down then run. A good boxer is a good fighter simply becuase of their physical training.

Anbu Alex
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Bujinkan Taijutsu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt suggest gong toe to toe with a boxer close range unless you try to grapple them i would keep a distance where he think he can get you but not quite. also try to make him drop his guard by faking you are going for the legs then when you hae the opening take the shot to the head or vice versa
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6
Jump to: