Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Warp Spider
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJS wrote:
Wrong again, Soft floors favor a striker since the better grappler will dictate positioning in most cases, are you one of those people who think that a striker has a better chance of out grappling a grappler and ending up on top?

I dont give me the "oh if you get knocked down it helps you" because if they are a halfway decent grappler they know how to break fall and it's not a sever issue.

There are a few techniques that favor grapplers such as the removal of the "downward" elbow in the UFC. but thats still 3 vs 1 in favor of the "striker"

Besides in the early days when there were hardly any rules it became obvious that Grapplers have the advantage. It almost comical that people still try and deny it to this day instead adressing the weakness like most.

Both people will hit the floor, and even stiking arts teach how to fall. However, I would argue that a striker would be much better conditioned to withstand impacts, such as those from striking a hard floor.

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: boxing, Thai boxing, BJJ,

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Both people will hit the floor

Your right when I pick you up and slam you with a double leg I will also end up on top of you in a side mount.

When I Hipp toss you to the ground I will proabably follow.

If I sweep you from the clinch I will land in the mount.

When I slam you on you head with double underhooks I will end up on top.

Do you have a valid point to this? you saying the grappler is going to hurt his knee when he slams someon on their head or back?

Any properly performed throw/takdown will hurt the person being taken down alot more than the one doing it.

Quote:
I would argue that a striker would be much better conditioned to withstand impacts

So people who spend alot of time taking people down and getting taken down themselves are less condiditoned to do so than someone who spends little or no time or practice doing it?

I guess I could use your thinking and claim a grappler is better conditioned to handle getting punched and kicked than a kickboxer.

Quote:
such as those from striking a hard floor.

Like i said it's going to hurt whoever is getting taken down, most of the time that will be the "striker" . Maybe these guys are so conditioned they can get slammed on concrete floors and not get hurt..who knows...

JohnnyS
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: BJJ, Shootfighting, TKD, Goju

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your arguments are weak Warp Spider.

The early UFC's had no rules regarding prohibited strikes, yet the strikers didn't win. Ryan Parker, a former regular on rec.martial-arts was a karate expert who claimed he couldn't be armbarred and his pressure point strikes would give him victory. He lost via armbar to Remco Pardoe (hardly a great grappler).

The flooring is a non-issue. You think someone fighting for money is going to care about scrapes and bruises, or landing hard ?

Even in the early days where it was two strikers fighting, the fighters always ended up grappling. This clearly shows that a fight will always get closer and closer, not stay at striking distance.

For an MMA fighter to be successful these days, they have to know grappling.

Cybren
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Ji Do Kwon Tae kwon Do

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not a follower of the UFC, how many were considered "early", two or three?
four?
Could it be possible that the grapplers during those were just better.
Such as, the Yankees won four World Series in a row, is ti that their form of Baseball was supirior, or that they were just better during those for seasons?

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would cosider early up to about UFC 10

Quote:
Could it be possible that the grapplers during those were just better

Not really, not looking at the Big picture..there were alot of succesful(in their own field) boxers/kickboxers/karateka/TKD'ers etc

Some of them won a few fight but most of the time the lost to "grapplers" and You see grapplers/wrestlers from all diffrent backgrounds walk in and almost always win atleast a few fight and ususally do very well

Royce Gracie-BJJ
Dan Severn-Greco roman wrestling
Oleg Taktarov-Sambo
Ken shamrock-shootinfighting
Remco Pardoe-Judo

All these guys had alot of succes with little or no cross training in "striking"

wrestlingkaratechamp
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Brown belt shotkan karate/black belt 1st dan BJJ(8 years) high school wrestling champion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grappling is better

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrestlingkaratechamp17 wrote:
Grappling is better

I wouldent say it's "better" But is definetly an overlooked aspect of alot of people...I think most people have an unrealistic picture of what they would do against a good grappler because they have never really tried it agaist one.

JohnnyS
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Grappling only can get you through a MMA fight, whereas striking only can't.

Ideally though, a fighter needs both: Striking and grappling ( takedowns, ground-grappling)

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think Grappling only can get you through a MMA fight, whereas striking only can't.

Today you migh have a better chance with pure grappling but even today a pure grappler would get hurt in most cases atleast at the higher levels of competition.

JohnnyS
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJS, I agree. It was enough in the early days, but nowadays anyone entering MMA will at least work their takedown defenses if they're primarily a striker.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 2 of 15
Jump to: