Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Jiggy9
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balance is very central to youre ability to attack and defend...If you arent balanced you cant kick or punch effectively, nor can you block anything without falling over or so on properly. Thus the concept of balance and it's importance...

In response to Kickchick's comment- yes there is a kata entirely in horse stance. Tekki Shodan - but it's not symbolic of horsemen in combat - actually i should know what it is about, i think it too is defending near a wall or castle - but i'll check that up for you. I sincerly doubt however that the stances used in karate were for symbolism or 'looking good' - Karate emphasises effectiveness of technique over the aesthetics. I also dont think the name horse stance, had anything to do with the development of the stance - more likely that the end product of the stance reminded masters at the time of a horse rider..

Lol pizza boy! Imagine me having to sit there and type it out! but actually i beg to differ - i guess im a 'complete dork' but i have used the horse stance very effectively in actual fights.

Firstly, one of the most powerful kicks in Karate includes the side kick, both snap and the one which you sustain the direction. Though both can be performed from zenchu-sudachi (sp?) i personally find switching to horse stance and then performing the kicks allows greater power.

By this, I mean...when in horse stance youre not actually facing youre opponent directly infront of you - youre opponent is to youre side... You can take a side step to gain momentum if you wish and execute the kick and it is very effective in fights.

Secondly i use it to attain greater power in my punches. Hard to explain but, you're in a relaxed not too low horse stance and facing sideways towards youre opponent. Because you are in this stance you have greater balance and more energy can be focused into youre punch, switch to zenchu-sudachi whilst excecuting the punch thus allowing you to power youre hips to a greater angle - thus creating an overall more powerful punch.

The great thing about this stance is that it allows flow between stances and maintains a high level of balance - which makes it so usefull....whilst changing directions of attack e.t.c.

For, it is usefull when facing more than one opponent - when youre facing just one - most people take the relaxed zenchu sudachi stance and face the opponent. However it is difficult to handle attacks from 3 different direction in this stance - it is easier to face 3 sides when you adopt a base horse stance and flow to different stances in different directions - like in many kata's ....I'm sorry if im not clear - it's v.hard to explain and much easier to show.

But again i still feel that the stance is actually more effective then initially appears.

[ This Message was edited by: Jiggy9 on 2001-11-20 06:56 ]

[CT]pizzaboy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: blue-belt taekwondo/green belt Yoshukai

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great that you have alot of things to say, Jiggy. Knowledge is power. But every time I read your post, it makes me want to...go...to...slee...................must... try to stay awake...stay awake...stay awake...stay awake...sta...........

I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversations.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the older styles of "kickboxers" (not muy thai but when karate first was coming to the public eye and sportscasters miscalled it) used a fighting stance looking like horse stance. Like Jiggy said they did not face their opponent head on but to the side.

The most recent example of this I have seen televised on espn was a fight with Don "the Dragon" Wilson.

steveking63
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too always wondered what horse stance was about. I experimented myself , and found many of the points made previously. I have also be enlightened to some more. I was once told that every move stance turn etc in karate has a use or purpose. Nothing in karate is ever wasted, seek and you will find. The obvious is not always obvious.

Joecooke007
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The horse stance is stable but as do all things it has flaws. I mainly use it to buiild muscle strength or a last resort dodge. It is very stable but a leg sweep would easily crumble it. also any push from the front or back would knock you over.

van_damme
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone.I dont do karate but i do kung fu.I find the horse stance very helpful in building up legs too make them stronger.We use high horse stance and low horse stance.In kung fu are knees always have to be bent anyway and the horse stance is a perfect example.The horse stance for us is just a way of using the shooting bow stance.The shooting bow stance is using energy to use on your opponent.lolz..im probably chattin mess but thats what i think the horse stance is for.

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-11-19 13:45, KickChick wrote:
I would also like to add to jakmak52's response that the horse stance itself is very beneficial for strong knee development. Many therapists are frequently recommending side to side knee training exercises (horse stance posture) to people with bad knees.
Isn't there also a kata in shotokan that is done entirely in horsestance...tekki? I think it was supposedly symbolic of the fighting techniques that would be used by horsemen in combat.

There are 3 Tekki Kata or aka Naihanchi in Okinawa.

These Katas were a favorite of Choki Motobu the renegade Karate Master come street fighter

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the tekki's are often overlooked. And as for an earlier comment about being easily swept in horse stance. There are spots in the tekki where a returning wave kick looks like the perfect way to avoid a sweep. And then stomp down on the opponents foot in return.

chris luckcuck
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do a slightly modified version of the horse stance called Shiko Dachi, not as deep and feet outwards. I've found it great for getting power and distance on a yokogeri. It is also quite easy to transfer your weight to make a front leg sweep inaffective.

I use it now and then when sparring because it seems to confuse the opponent for a second or two, like they are wondering what you have planned. It also makes it a slightly easier to drop into Nekoashi Dachi when defending.

Just my opinion.

Taikudo-ka
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard a story where a boxer defeats a jodoka by dropping low, with his legs out, every time the judoka attempted a throw. Basically, adoping some sort of "horse stance"... The net result was that his centre of gravity was lowered and the judoka could not throw him.
But he can still swing...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: