Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

MAfreak
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: whats your favourite weapon and why? Reply with quote

i'm no weapons expert but had some kobudo lessons and did long self study on traditional weapons, since its an amazing addition to the "common" weaponless combat sports.

my total favourite is the tonfa because its one of the few weapons which adjusts to our body and not the other way round, when it comes to arm positioning, blocking or striking. i have a very short video with some training clips, and did an example there. a shadow boxing combination and later a tonfa combination, which is exactly the same. when you can box with it, its the perfect weapon (surely except of stabbingweapons and firearms).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaNl26Og4p0 i tried sai throwing too, i think thats interesting for such a big heavy weapon (compared to throwing-knifes or shuriken).

my second favourite would be the cane like its used in hapkido. could be handled like a tonfa or a hanbo, can sweep or grab someone, can even be sharpened and no one would ask you, why you carry this stick with you.

Spodo Komodo
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Wado Ryu, Shotokan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sai, they complement kata wonderfully, develop strong wrists and arms, feel so natural to use and are useful for after training snacks of really big corn.

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I've only learned one bo form and I've just started studying bando stick (a little shorter than an escrima stick-- about as long as a sai). I like the stick as it's very versatile. Pretty much anything you pick up can be used in the same way as the stick-- a stick from the ground, a bat, a book (I'm a librarian), lots of things. I'm surprised more systems don't teach it. I find it's a great introductory weapon.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stick in all its varieties is probably the best choice overall. It has many advantages over any other weapon. Some of the best are these:

A) Stick or stick-like objects are easily found or picked up in nearly every kind of setting both indoors and outdoors.

B) Unlike every other weapon, stick does not obviously appear as a weapon and can readily be discarded

C) A stick is has longer range than most other non-projectile weapons and can be used to defend against other weapons while keeping a safer distance away.

D) There are no laws/regulations restricting or forbidding sticks. All other weapons are either illegal or heavily restricted.

MAfreak
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shorter sticks like Lupin1 mentioned are also used in kobudo and hapkido. there are versions with a wristband-like cord on one end so it can't be taken away easily.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bo!! No matter how well versed I am in Kobudo, the Bo has a special place in my heart across the board.

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mind

My personal favourite, right now, is perhaps the Sai. However, the long-sword and the Kon continue to be the ones I train with insistently. I find the tanto fun to work with as well, and also the kubotan, but mostly when working with my students.

So, for training by myself it would be the Tzai, right now, but I find some times I just want to work on Kon, and other times are drawn to sword work. It fluctuates. However, when training with my students I prefer the really close fighting tools, because we get some excellent and immediate cross-over with our unarmed skills, and with the rubber knives we can have a little more contact and energy to training.

When training with my instructor though; it has to be the Kon. One because I sometimes feel I am keeping up with him and am being a good training partner, and two when I get that delusion he utterly schools me and I recognise where I went wrong.

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: whats your favourite weapon and why? Reply with quote

MAfreak wrote:
i'm no weapons expert but had some kobudo lessons and did long self study on traditional weapons, since its an amazing addition to the "common" weaponless combat sports.

my total favourite is the tonfa because its one of the few weapons which adjusts to our body and not the other way round, when it comes to arm positioning, blocking or striking. i have a very short video with some training clips, and did an example there. a shadow boxing combination and later a tonfa combination, which is exactly the same. when you can box with it, its the perfect weapon (surely except of stabbingweapons and firearms).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaNl26Og4p0 i tried sai throwing too, i think thats interesting for such a big heavy weapon (compared to throwing-knifes or shuriken).

my second favourite would be the cane like its used in hapkido. could be handled like a tonfa or a hanbo, can sweep or grab someone, can even be sharpened and no one would ask you, why you carry this stick with you.

I had to watch the video several times to actualy see what was going on. It switched from one thing to another so fast you can't really see what's going on very easily.

As for throwing your sai..you NEVER, EVER, EVER throw your sai!

Why? (he asked?)

Because you just threw away one of your weapons, and having just one sai remaining isn't nearly as effective as two! Forget what you see in the movies..DON'T THROW YOUR SAI!

That, plus they can break! Yeah, no kidding. When I was a brown belt, just learning the sai, I threw mine now and then in the dirt when I was practicing in the yard. Like you, just for the fun of it. Well, one day I did that, and the dang thing snapped in two! I never did that again! lol

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

MAfreak
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for the feedback.
yes that throw was just for fun and just for show. i saw kobudo people throwing sai to the ground, so it would hit the opponents foot.
i think too, its to dangerous, its like saying "hey catch my weapon, your welcome!"

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of a kata where one throws a sai towards the feet at the end; though said kata also requires one to keep a spare sai in the Obi so covers drawing techniques as well. I also believe the Matayoshi tradition adheres to the idea of the sai as a throwing weapon.

I have practiced using the sai as a throwing weapon; if one tries to throw it like a knife it will not work. One, because of the weapons weight, is better off treating it like a hatchet throw.

As a technique, it is one of those one in a thousand techniques; it should not a "go to" approach, or a mainstay of one's training, but I suspect it could be useful in very particular situations.

Saying all that though, shurikanjutsu is a particular hobby of mine, and I am quite skilled at throwing improvised as well as for purpose weapons. If it was an option, I would be relatively confident in finishing a confrontation before it went any further with a thrown sai. Just like a kick to a brawler, or grappling to someone who has never done it before, it is out of the realm of normal experience and thus can catch people off guard remarkably easy. Also, few people guard the foot from the sai, even those who should know better, because of weapon focus and the fact the main danger the sai presents are to targets above the waist. It is a technique of opportunity, but one I think worth having in one's repertoire.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7
Jump to: