Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sword. Always wanted to learn to use a long sword.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest criticism of Seido is the kobudo policy. Kobudo doesn't start until shodan. Bo, jo, sai and sword are the only weapons. Bo begins at shodan, I think jo begins at sandan, sai at yondan, and sword much later on, possibly 6th dan.

My old school started bo basics at 3rd kyu, and official/traditional bo kata at 2nd kyu. I don't know if it was 3rd kyu or the bo, but we all saw a big leap in skill after a little time with the bo.

I've contemplated buying Nishiuchi's videos and teaching myself, but don't want to get into the bad habits that can result from training without a person to correct me. And he holds the bo differently than I've seen done in Seido. In Seido, the bo is held under the armpit after strikes, whereas Nishiuchi holds it outside the forearm/elbow. I've done both, and strongly prefer Nishiuchi's way.

My old Sensei now teaches Nishiuchi's weapons. He's trained with a few of his students. He offers a kobudo program, but it's an hour drive each way, and conflicts with my regular schedule.

I've always wanted to learn the oar. My old Sensei used to practice it a lot before classes, and I've seen it performed a few times in tournaments. I don't know why, but I just think it's really cool.

MAfreak
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sword in kobudo?
i thought, its just about converted daily farming items?

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although it is not included in the original kobudo systems commonly taught alongside karate, the sword is sometimes used to practise defensive techniques with the other weapons. Many sword techniques and concepts also apply to the other weapons. This also makes sense from a historical point of view, as those who developed and elaborated the use of the other kobudo weapons belonged to the caste that would have been trained in using swords.

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is more common to find sword in Japanese schools such as Shindo Jinnen Ryu, Wado Ryu, or Yoseikan which have ties to Koryu schools of Nippon Bujutsu, or schools which originated outside of Japan and Okinawa and have ties to Gendai Budo Jujutsu and adopted the sword due to eclecticism. I would be wary of Occidental schools which include Kenjutsu, as I have seen and encountered a lot of fraudulent practitioners whom have lifted and adopted the Katana with no reference to their actual art. Saying that, I have encountered many sincere practitioners who have a real love for Japanese swordsmanship but have had no other opportunity to practice, but strive to do the best they can with what they have.

The only school of Okinawan Martial Arts I have been able to confirm practice swordsmanship is Motobu-Ryu, and I have heard rumours of other heterodox schools which practice swordsmanship. Saying that though, if the school of Kobudo comes from the Taira line, or claims to do so, then I would be suspicious of the inclusion of swordsmanship; barring schools with their origins in Japan which have adopted both RyuKyu and Nippon Kobujutsu into their approach.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is indeed wise to be weary of anyone teaching sword techniques and claming them to be from Okinawan Kobudo. There are only two systems of kobudo widely practised and these are Matayoshi lineage and Ryukyu Kobudo. Neither of these includes any type of sword.

In fact, besides the kama there are no sharp/bladed weapons. The only thing resembling a sword is a short, machete-like weapon called a rochin used with a small round shield. It is rarely seen or taught even in Okinawa.

Okinawan masters of old were actually very familiar with the katana. The originator of Shuri-te(predecessor of shorin ryu), Matsumura Sokon was a master of Jigen Ryu swordsmanship which he learned from the Satsuma samurai clan. Azato, who was Funakoshi's main teacher, was also a master swordsman.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://traditionaljapanesemartialarts.com/IOKA/index.html

Who I consider THE source of traditional Okinawan kobudo.

vantheman
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming the question is within the question of Kobudo, mine has got to be the bo. It's long, simple, and elegant. It can look fancy, or it can be simple. It can be a walking implement, or it can be a weapon.

Outside of Kobudo, katanas and handguns are my numbers 1 and 2, respectively.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vantheman wrote:
Assuming the question is within the question of Kobudo, mine has got to be the bo. It's long, simple, and elegant. It can look fancy, or it can be simple. It can be a walking implement, or it can be a weapon.

Outside of Kobudo, katanas and handguns are my numbers 1 and 2, respectively.

The old saying...don't ever bring a knife to a gun fight...lol.

OK...tape back over my mouth again.

Oshishinobu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: ISKF Shotokan Karate, Italian Longsword, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, and mind you this is not a "kobudo" weapon, but I really love the English military saber, the foot work starts in a loose kokutsudachi and you transition into a leaning zenkutsu to strike. You advance with sugiashi the whole process plays really nice into my karate. I have to say once again my second favorite and to be honest I( am split is the European long-sword. once again atleast in the Fiore system the foot work is so similar to my karate. in terms of "kobudo" I would say Sai is up there but I have been having a "love affair" with the bo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7
Jump to: