Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ying&yang
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: JKD , and 15 others

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Bruce Lee UFC Reply with quote

superfighter wrote:
We all know that Bruce Lee was an amazingly fast sticker. Would this have given him an advantage in the UFC?
if alive today how long do you reckon he would last against Guys like Tito ortiz and Tank Abbot?
Lets not forget that Bruce Lee also studied some ground grappling too, Maybe not the extent of the of the MMArtists today but he knew how to grapple.

If you were to put bruce lee into the ring back then before he died with his experience , i wouldn't put your money on him. But if he were alive today im sure he would of learnt every little part of ufc and MMA , and im sure then he would win.

lupus yonderboy
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: MMA - Boxing, Judo, Jits, Greco, Folk Wrestling

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Bruce Lee UFC Reply with quote

superfighter wrote:
We all know that Bruce Lee was an amazingly fast sticker. Would this have given him an advantage in the UFC?
if alive today how long do you reckon he would last against Guys like Tito ortiz and Tank Abbot?
Lets not forget that Bruce Lee also studied some ground grappling too, Maybe not the extent of the of the MMArtists today but he knew how to grapple.

In my opinion, Bruce Lee was one of the first mixed martial artists. I think if Bruce were alive today, his JKD students would be doing something very similar to what MMA guys are doing today. The best example I can think of would be Straight Blast Gym in Portland.

PunchYourFACE
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Freestyle / Wing Chun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say he has a chance in the lightweight division.

TheArtofDave
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Pasaryu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject: Bruce Lee in the UFC? Reply with quote

Bruce Lee was a martial artist. He trained in Wushu, but he didn't like the forms, nor the foot work. So I don't know exactly how much experience he had, but he never completed it.

He would have done better in boxing because he liked Ali's footwork. So a lot of his foot work for JKD was heavily influenced by boxing.

Also he didn't like rules, and even challenged the very committee who discourage him from teaching things that were sacred. He did it in defiance of them.

So he was not just some actor who practiced martial arts. He was a martial artist. But he did not train for competition like others have said.

I read an interview one time where it got so bad for Bruce when his movies opened. A lot of people didn't realize he wasn't that character on the big screen so he had to fight people off on the street just to have a normal life.

I think if Bruce were alive today he'd most likely be apart of the UFC camp to train fighters. but he himself would have no interest in competing in it.

yodmuaythai
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Muay Thai

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think bruce Lee can not fight in MMA style because he didn't skillful in lie technique. I think MMA fighter must skillful in very Martial Arts such as Muay Thai, Judo and BJJ.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that Bruce's lack of skills would have been the problem. The lack of skill sets in ground fighting would have been, but I think that Lee would have went out and fixed that with ground fighting training.

ElShaft
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shoto-Budo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Bruce Lee would have a chance in MMA. Even though he was a film star he still was incredablly fit and very obviously tallented in the Martial Arts. One thing i pick up on when watching UFC/MMA is over emphasis on ground fighting. Lee being small and fast may have been very hard for grapplers to catch and it is very evident he could strike with incrediable speed/force.

MMA_Jim
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: BJJ, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread just never dies...

Here it is guys:

Bruce Lee was for all intents and purposes, the ideal candidate to be considered the first mixed martial artist. Initially studying Wing Chun, he decided that it didnt work as planned during real life street fights, so he made many alterations while opening criticizing it which infuriated many in the practice.

After working with Chuck Norris he decided that head kicks could be a practical technique in a fight. Prior to this he felt kicks should never be above the waist. Chuck was quite known for his head kicks and changed his opinion of them.

He was an avid fan of western boxing and muhammed ali. He noted that western boxing was far more advanced that any other martial art when it comes to utilizing hand strikes.

Convinced that he was too fast to be caught, he never practiced groundwork- until he met Judo Gene Lebell on the set of a movie. After hearing this comment, Gene Lebell proceeds to literally pick Bruce up, sling him over his shoulders and parade him around the movie set, much to Bruce's surprise. He remarked "put me down, or I will kill you" afterwhich Gene Lebell responded to every request by Bruce "I cant put you down or you'll kill me!"

As such Bruce starts to study much Judo and wrestling.

Essentially JKD is nothing more than a mindset, and is pretty much mixed martial arts (using what works, discarding that which doesnt). Against a modern fighter, Bruce doesnt stand a chance- he simply doesnt have the skills. It should be noted that it was BECAUSE of Bruce's experiments and hard work that many people now KNOW what to do and what to work on. Its very difficult to compare old martial artists to modern one. All the old martial arts masters simply do not stand a chance against a modern mixed martial arts fighter, but that mma fighter knows how to fight because of the lifelong committments and accomplishments of old masters such as Kimura, Kano, Gracie, and the like

JiuJitsuNation
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: BJJ Judo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee was an actor, artist and philosopher. I have had all his movies since I was a kid and wanted nothing more than to be the man when I grew up. But many years, people and books later I came to grips with the reality of who and what if really was. An inspiration to sveral generations. So was his son.

Jay
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know it still amazes me with all the training advances we have made, not one professional fighter even gets near his speed. There is a shot in enter the dragon when it was filmed in slow motion at 32 frames per second. He hits the other guy in only 1 frame. Thats equal to 0.03s about the speed we blink. Literally you blink and you miss it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15
Jump to: