Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2001 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angus I respect your opionion and I do see your point. You sound like someone with a great deal of natural physical ability and you are young. For the lesser physically endowed and the older muscle memory plays a greater role. Also some people think much faster on their feet than others.

While you are on your feet and thinking fast others have slower gears between their ears and need ways to learn to react without thinking. It takes many many repititions of basic moves for some to even begin to develope that.

The more of your posts I read and think about the more I begin to see a that you aren't just responding off the top of the head like some post may appear at a superficial first glance. I am starting to look forward to reading what you have to say on one had because you view things so opposite as to the way I see them but also because you make me think about why we each see things the way we do.

You must be one heck of and interesting fella.

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2001 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, yeah, i tell myself how wonderful i am every day!

I try to believe that i see things the way they truly are. I'm the kinda guy who watches martial arts movies and tries to figure out what the people do wrong in their scenes, and i watch taped kickboxing and all that and just watch what goes wrong for the guy who loses.

I emerse myself in a style for a short time and concentrate on its perspectives on realism. That's why i got crappy with a particular form of karate, there were too many bad points outweighing the good. I don't buy all the bullcrap that people try and tell me.

Overall though i'm pretty easy-going, and i'm nowhere near as fit as i should be cos i drink too much beer and eat too much, and i'm not exactly the best person to pass on advice, but hey - i haven't lost an important fight yet, so i guess what i'm practicing in the martial arts must be working for me.

Angus

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2001 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I stated in the Shotokan Forum, kata is not only about fighting others. The enemies in kata are in your mind. Then are they not, in fact, a part of your self. I feel that kata not only refines basics, but calms the mind, body, and spirit to conflict ones inner demons. Kata is a relaxation form. People may say that the moves in kata are just for show, and they are right, in a sense. That is because they don't show the entire thing because a) it looks sloppy and b) they leave room for the imagination. Katas are guides, not crutches. They should not hinder you, but add something to your arsenal.

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2001 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, i'll accept that, but for argument's sake i would say that there are more EFFECTIVE ways of doing these things and that kata is an outdated and near useless tradition. Only my opinion though.

Angus

taezee
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2001 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will say this about kata or poomse or hyung..these are patterns that build a foundation of actual combat...a building of skills to forming ones own personal style of actual fighting ..very much misunderstood but nessesary....these are the foundation of making fighting skills...i dont mean they are to be followed like scriptures of the bible..but they incorporate the basics for which all combat skills grow from.you gotta start somewhere.its the martial art equivilent of shadow boxing....

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2001 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, i say doing drills up and down the hall are the foundation of techniques, the theory. The hypothesising is done in sparring, and the proof is found on the street.

Angus

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2001 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is not a kata a combination of techniques, like doing drills up and down the hall?

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2001 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope.

Angus

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2001 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess no one can change your mind then!

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2001 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope.

Kata for the less enlightened student can be very confusing, and a single kata does not allow for something else to be done, you are doing the same thing over and over again. I know it's meant to be like a drill or something but Katas are set, they cannot be changed, they teach bad habits if not closely watched. In drills u can do step, punch, kick... then modify it to an infinite number of things: kick, kick, step, punch, kick etc etc...

Doing drills allows your run of the mill, average, every day martial artist who wants to learn to fight the opportunity to develop combinations with a flexibility that he can enjoy, without being told he's doing the drill wrong because the ancient founders did it this way or that way: front snap to the stomach and not the head blah blah blah... useless crap like that.

Angus

Angus Argyle - KarateForums.com Sensei

Freestyle Martial Artist.

[ This Message was edited by: Angus on 2001-12-01 19:49 ]
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8
Jump to: